Thread: But why tho?

Default But why tho?

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/loc...a-c3f8dacebd28

"In an email to employees last February, Chief Administrative Officer Tom Rinehart wrote:

“We will continue to have gender-specific (male and female) multi-stall restrooms that are readily available to any employee that prefers to use one. But, there will be no urinals in any restroom in the building. This will give us the flexibility we need for any future changes in signage.”

The city has redesigned all the bathrooms to be gender neutral-- which means urinals are not even part of the men's room."

That sounds like a smart idea. The other day I was in a public restroom and I found myself thinking that if they'd simply have stalls only you wouldn't have this nonsense of gender specific bathrooms. There is literally no reason why men and women can't wash their hands (the litteral washing of hands) in the same room.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    That sounds like a smart idea. The other day I was in a public restroom and I found myself thinking that if they'd simply have stalls only you wouldn't have this nonsense of gender specific bathrooms. There is literally no reason why men and women can't wash their hands (the litteral washing of hands) in the same room.
    There is no reason why men and women can't wash their hands in the same room. What does that have to do with urinals though?

You know, women can pee on walls too. Can't believe I'm with Lewk on this. Stalls require more real estate than walls or urinals. Longer lines lead to more peeing in the sink.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

There is at least one bar in London I know that has this. One large circular unisex toilet, Male stalls on one side of the circle Female on the other, with a large circular sink in the middle for both sexes.
    Worked well enough I seem to recall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

You know who else had gender neutral toilets? The Battlestar Galatica. You gonna argue with Bill Adama?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Why? Equal access. We have wheelchair-friendly stalls and baby-changing stations for the same reason.

Public male wall urinals never made sense to me...because little boys learn to pee in their home toilets. I don't know anyone with a male wall urinal in their own home.

Also, privacy. Gang showers are also being phased out by design. The "locker room" mentality has evolved and changed over time. That's a good thing.
    Last edited by GGT; 10-20-2019 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Why? Equal access. We have wheelchair-friendly stalls and baby-changing stations for the same reason.

Public male wall urinals never made sense to me...because little boys learn to pee in their home toilets. I don't know anyone with a male wall urinal in their own home.

Takes less space. More sanitary. Shortens queue times. There's a reason why even when male and female restrooms are equal size and there are more men than women using the restroom that the male restrooms almost have no wait times while the woman's restroom sometimes wraps around to the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Takes less space. More sanitary. Shortens queue times. There's a reason why even when male and female restrooms are equal size and there are more men than women using the restroom that the male restrooms almost have no wait times while the woman's restroom sometimes wraps around to the outside.
    None of that addresses equal access.

It's sad that you think men can't hold their piss and need urinals, but manage to spin that as women needing more time to pee.

While we're on the topic of restrooms, let's discuss restroom behavior, too!

Thinx has new commercials I think are great. Depicting *men*struation.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/08/cbs-bb...struating-men/

CBS banned the ads because of the tampon string. But really it was about men feeling "uncomfortable" about normal female things happening in a public space. That's as sad as men who can't bring themselves to buy tampons or feminine napkins for the women in their life....but they want to make public policy nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    None of that addresses equal access.

It's sad that you think men can't hold their piss and need urinals, but manage to spin that as women needing more time to pee.
    Are you suggesting that because women can't make use of urinals they shouldn't be allowed in the name of equality? What is wrong with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Are you suggesting that because women can't make use of urinals they shouldn't be allowed in the name of equality? What is wrong with you?
    I'm saying that women can pee on a wall, or in a hole, just like men do. And that modern design of toilet facilities will be better than it was in the past, when it was driven my men who just wanted to keep other men from pissing in the streets.