Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 271 to 300 of 303

Thread: UK General Election 12 December

  1. #271
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    The thing that gets me is how much of an own goal this was for Labour. The Tories haven't done themselves any favors - they've looked incompetent and untrustworthy with the whole Brexit debacle and a competently led Labour should have been able to trounce them. Instead, they've got Momentum and Corbyn.

    The lessons for Democrats in the US need not be elaborated upon further.
    At least it looks like Corbyn will leave. But I'm not sure how many competent MPs are left.

    I don't think any of the Democrats who have a shot at winning (Biden, Warren, Sanders, Buttigieg) are nearly as toxic as Corbyn, but this is still an important lesson.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  2. #272
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    At least it looks like Corbyn will leave. But I'm not sure how many competent MPs are left.

    I don't think any of the Democrats who have a shot at winning (Biden, Warren, Sanders, Buttigieg) are nearly as toxic as Corbyn, but this is still an important lesson.
    Biden being handsy with little girls really should be the only campaign ad Trump needs to run.

  3. #273
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    10,715
    Hah, DUP - 2.
    Greece shows us that there is a kind of politician worse than the ones that break their election promises; the ones that keep their election promises.

  4. #274
    News update on my borough;

    One of the four candidates, Stuart Wells (The Brexit Party) lost his £500 deposit after failing to win 5% of the vote.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

    And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

  5. #275
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    News update on my borough;

    One of the four candidates, Stuart Wells (The Brexit Party) lost his £500 deposit after failing to win 5% of the vote.

    One of the seats that Prime Minister Jo Swinson didn't cost her party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  6. #276
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Biden being handsy with little girls really should be the only campaign ad Trump needs to run.
    The same Trump who regularly talked about how hot his own daughter was?
    Hope is the denial of reality

  7. #277
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    The same Trump who regularly talked about how hot his own daughter was?
    Sexual appeal is just like any other physical attribute. "My kid has a PhD." and "My kid has fantastic looks." are just bragging. For Trump it is all just ego, their appearances/accomplishments are things he wants to take credit for.

    Meanwhile you got gems like this...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAymXlGSplU

  8. #278
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Sexual appeal is just like any other physical attribute.
    Er, no it isn't, and as a parent you should know it isn't. It's why you wouldn't bat an eye if someone complimented your son on his throwing arm, but would definitely be more proactive if they were waxing eloquent about his nubile body.
    Last edited by Enoch the Red; 12-13-2019 at 04:53 PM.

  9. #279
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    The same Trump who regularly talked about how hot his own daughter was?
    The Groper-in-Chief who said to "grab 'em by the pussy" and who has collected numerous accusations of sexual harassment, assault, and rape? Yeah, I don't think claims of sexual misconduct about Biden are going to matter much except as confirmation bias for people who were totally committed to Trump in the first place.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

  10. #280
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Sexual appeal is just like any other physical attribute. "My kid has a PhD." and "My kid has fantastic looks." are just bragging. For Trump it is all just ego, their appearances/accomplishments are things he wants to take credit for.

    Meanwhile you got gems like this...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAymXlGSplU
    You're seriously attacking Biden for invading people's personal space while supporting someone who openly admitted to sexual assault?
    Hope is the denial of reality

  11. #281
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Sexual appeal is just like any other physical attribute. "My kid has a PhD." and "My kid has fantastic looks." are just bragging.
    There is something digustingly wrong with you. Not even sane pageant parents talk about their kids like this or as Trump has.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  12. #282
    Hope is the denial of reality

  13. #283
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    The Groper-in-Chief who said to "grab 'em by the pussy" and who has collected numerous accusations of sexual harassment, assault, and rape? Yeah, I don't think claims of sexual misconduct about Biden are going to matter much except as confirmation bias for people who were totally committed to Trump in the first place.
    From a solely tactical rather than moral point of view... it's not like the right hasn't had a ton of success with accusing their left wing opponents of the very thing they are themselves doing at that very moment. See: attacks on Corbyn for anti-semitism from a party lead by a guy who uses phrases like 'water melon smiles' about black people in national newspapers, or the whole But Her E-mails thing when so many members of the Trump administration have misused their own e-mail systems in the same way etc etc.

    Plus, the right doesn't actually give a shit about women being sexually assaulted unless they can use it as an excuse to vilify some other group they already hate, so that line of attack on Biden would be more effective than the reverse on Trump.
    Why do we build the wall, my children, my children? We build the wall to keep us free.
    How does the wall keep us free, my children, my children? The wall keeps out the enemy. And we build the wall to keep us free.
    Who do we call the enemy, my children, my children? The enemy is poverty. And the wall keeps out the enemy. And we build the wall to keep us free.
    That's why we build the wall. We build the wall to keep us free. Because we have and they have not, my children, my my children. Because they want what we have got.
    What do we have that they should want, my children, my children? We have a wall to work upon. We have work and they have none. And our work is never done. And the war is never won.
    The enemy is poverty, the wall keeps out the enemy, and we build the wall to keep us free. That's why we build the wall, we build the wall to keep us free.

  14. #284
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    Er, no it isn't, and as a parent you should know it isn't. It's why you wouldn't bat an eye if someone complimented your son on his throwing arm, but would definitely be more proactive if they were waxing eloquent about his nubile body.
    The difference would be age. There isn't anything wrong with a mother telling their adult son they are handsome or a father calling their adult daughter beautiful. While spending overlong on the subject isn't ideal the point isn't that Trump wants to bang his daughter its that he takes pride in how hot she is. Biden on the other hand isn't complimenting the kids when he lays his hands on them.

  15. #285
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Fuck that guy.

  16. #286
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    You're seriously attacking Biden for invading people's personal space while supporting someone who openly admitted to sexual assault?
    The key is consent. The infamous statement includes "they let you" line. Furthermore we are talking about tactics. Just play the clip as a campaign ad and let it speak for itself.

  17. #287
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    The difference would be age. There isn't anything wrong with a mother telling their adult son they are handsome or a father calling their adult daughter beautiful. While spending overlong on the subject isn't ideal the point isn't that Trump wants to bang his daughter its that he takes pride in how hot she is. Biden on the other hand isn't complimenting the kids when he lays his hands on them.
    Of course there isn't anything wrong with telling your son or daughter that they are handsome or beautiful. But that's not what we are talking about, we are talking about going around telling OTHER people that your son or daughter is handsome or beautiful, for reasons other than playing match maker.

  18. #288
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    The key is consent. The infamous statement includes "they let you" line.
    This is not how consent works you creepy fuck. This is how sexual assault works. The key part of that quote is Trump admitting he doesn't wait for consent, and several of his victims have confirmed that that is how he operates.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Creeper in Chief
    Although she does have a very nice figure. I’ve said that if Ivanka weren’t my daughter, perhaps I’d be dating her.”
    Quote Originally Posted by The Creeper in Chief
    My daughter, Ivanka. She’s 6 feet tall, she’s got the best body.”
    Quote Originally Posted by The Creeper in Chief
    “Yeah, she’s really something, and what a beauty, that one. If I weren’t happily married and, ya know, her father….”
    Quote Originally Posted by The Creeper in Chief
    “Is it wrong to be more sexually attracted to your own daughter than your wife?”
    After they kissed, the host commented: “It’s nice to see a dad kiss his daughter.”

    According to several studio witnesses, Mr Trump replied that he kisses Ivanka “with every chance [he] gets”. The comment was apparently edited out of the final cut of the show when it went to air.
    POTUS is a creepy fuck with a history of sexual assault and infidelity, as well as extremely disturbing comments about his own daughter, to whom he compared his pornstar mistress right before having sex with her. You know what your defense of this behavior makes you look like?

    Well, I suppose it makes you look like a model white Evangelical, now that I think about it. The natural constituency for the Roy Moores of the world.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  19. #289
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    This is not how consent works you creepy fuck.
    I don't generally like +1s or the use of a like (or dislike) system. But I can't "thumbs up" hard enough for this. And even disregarding Lewk's total denial about what consent means, how exactly does he square "well, they didn't object to it after he was done groping them. Or at least not loudly enough for me to listen" as his standard with having a problem regarding Biden who hasn't crossed that line either? And then of course there's Roy Moore who went rather farther than Biden even in what he actually admitted to but Lewk kept saying "now hold on a minute, let's not be hasty" there. Totally fucking delusional.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

  20. #290
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I don't generally like +1s or the use of a like (or dislike) system. But I can't "thumbs up" hard enough for this. And even disregarding Lewk's total denial about what consent means, how exactly does he square "well, they didn't object to it after he was done groping them. Or at least not loudly enough for me to listen" as his standard with having a problem regarding Biden who hasn't crossed that line either? And then of course there's Roy Moore who went rather farther than Biden even in what he actually admitted to but Lewk kept saying "now hold on a minute, let's not be hasty" there. Totally fucking delusional.
    "They let you" implies consent. Holy shit do you ask for consent every time you kiss your GF/BF/Wife/Husband? No of course not. If there is an understood arrangement the consent is clear.

    And all that for a statement that was probably Trump talking out of his ass stroking his own ego.

  21. #291
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    "They let you" implies consent.
    The fuck it does.

    Holy shit do you ask for consent every time you kiss your GF/BF/Wife/Husband? No of course not. If there is an understood arrangement the consent is clear.
    They weren't Trump's GF/BF/Wife/Husband.
    Why do we build the wall, my children, my children? We build the wall to keep us free.
    How does the wall keep us free, my children, my children? The wall keeps out the enemy. And we build the wall to keep us free.
    Who do we call the enemy, my children, my children? The enemy is poverty. And the wall keeps out the enemy. And we build the wall to keep us free.
    That's why we build the wall. We build the wall to keep us free. Because we have and they have not, my children, my my children. Because they want what we have got.
    What do we have that they should want, my children, my children? We have a wall to work upon. We have work and they have none. And our work is never done. And the war is never won.
    The enemy is poverty, the wall keeps out the enemy, and we build the wall to keep us free. That's why we build the wall, we build the wall to keep us free.

  22. #292
    Didn't think Lewk would become an apologist for sexual assault or perving on one's own kids, but here we are.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  23. #293
    Did you not? You could get a modern-day US conservative to argue for napalming orphanages and deliberately releasing crude oil directly into the drinking water of major cities if they thought it would somehow 'trigger the libs'. They've lost any kind of coherent ideological framework, nothing left there now but petty spite and greed.
    Why do we build the wall, my children, my children? We build the wall to keep us free.
    How does the wall keep us free, my children, my children? The wall keeps out the enemy. And we build the wall to keep us free.
    Who do we call the enemy, my children, my children? The enemy is poverty. And the wall keeps out the enemy. And we build the wall to keep us free.
    That's why we build the wall. We build the wall to keep us free. Because we have and they have not, my children, my my children. Because they want what we have got.
    What do we have that they should want, my children, my children? We have a wall to work upon. We have work and they have none. And our work is never done. And the war is never won.
    The enemy is poverty, the wall keeps out the enemy, and we build the wall to keep us free. That's why we build the wall, we build the wall to keep us free.

  24. #294
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Did you not? You could get a modern-day US conservative to argue for napalming orphanages and deliberately releasing crude oil directly into the drinking water of major cities if they thought it would somehow 'trigger the libs'. They've lost any kind of coherent ideological framework, nothing left there now but petty spite and greed.
    Ah yes because if someone disagrees with you politically they must either be stupid or immoral.

  25. #295
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Ah yes because if someone disagrees with you politically they must either be stupid or immoral.
    Too easy. You have the cause and effect reversed.

    You aren't stupid and immoral because I disagree with you politically, I disagree with you politically because you are stupid and immoral.
    Why do we build the wall, my children, my children? We build the wall to keep us free.
    How does the wall keep us free, my children, my children? The wall keeps out the enemy. And we build the wall to keep us free.
    Who do we call the enemy, my children, my children? The enemy is poverty. And the wall keeps out the enemy. And we build the wall to keep us free.
    That's why we build the wall. We build the wall to keep us free. Because we have and they have not, my children, my my children. Because they want what we have got.
    What do we have that they should want, my children, my children? We have a wall to work upon. We have work and they have none. And our work is never done. And the war is never won.
    The enemy is poverty, the wall keeps out the enemy, and we build the wall to keep us free. That's why we build the wall, we build the wall to keep us free.

  26. #296
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Too easy. You have the cause and effect reversed.

    You aren't stupid and immoral because I disagree with you politically, I disagree with you politically because you are stupid and immoral.
    So if a stupid and immoral person supported a politician you like you'd stop liking that politician? Your logic is pretty flawed here.

  27. #297
    He disagrees with you politically because he recognizes your political views as being stupid and immoral, much like yourself. I don't see how this can be so difficult for you to understand.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  28. #298
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    He disagrees with you politically because he recognizes your political views as being stupid and immoral, much like yourself. I don't see how this can be so difficult for you to understand.
    I don't see how it is difficult for either of you to understand.

    "I disagree with you politically because you are stupid and immoral."

    This statement is indicating his political views are being formed based around me being stupid and immoral. Do you really think Steely has not yet formed political opinions prior to interacting with me? Do you think he would vote Libertarian in American if he did not find me stupid and immoral? Seems rather unlikely. Hell maybe the world does revolve around me and people base their opinions based on my views but that seems rather silly.

  29. #299
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I don't generally like +1s or the use of a like (or dislike) system. But I can't "thumbs up" hard enough for this. And even disregarding Lewk's total denial about what consent means, how exactly does he square "well, they didn't object to it after he was done groping them. Or at least not loudly enough for me to listen" as his standard with having a problem regarding Biden who hasn't crossed that line either? And then of course there's Roy Moore who went rather farther than Biden even in what he actually admitted to but Lewk kept saying "now hold on a minute, let's not be hasty" there. Totally fucking delusional.
    The creepiest part is that he simultaneously thinks it's okay for predators to claim consent for assault was given after the fact—because "they let him do it"—and also that it's okay to call women lying bitches for saying, after the fact, that they did not consent to being assaulted—because, after all, "they let him do it". Consent only works one way, in one party's favor, in that sick community.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  30. #300
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I don't see how it is difficult for either of you to understand.

    "I disagree with you politically because you are stupid and immoral."

    This statement is indicating his political views are being formed based around me being stupid and immoral. Do you really think Steely has not yet formed political opinions prior to interacting with me? Do you think he would vote Libertarian in American if he did not find me stupid and immoral? Seems rather unlikely. Hell maybe the world does revolve around me and people base their opinions based on my views but that seems rather silly.
    No, it's pretty clear he's saying that the reason he disagrees with your views is that your views are too stupid and immoral for him to agree with, and it is implied that you hold those views because you are stupid and immoral. The fact that you don't understand this—and your clumsy attempts to apply a cargo-cult understanding of logic to informal communication—only bolsters his claim wrt stupidity.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •