Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: UK General Election 12 December

It is ironic that that great American promotor of Brexit is killing the favorite Brexit of Brexitards; the 'Brexit on WTO conditions'.
    Congratulations America

In horse race news, I think the Tories are getting a little uneasy. I got a letter through my door from the "Right Honorable" (two things he's never been a single time in his entire life) Boris Johnson going on about why a hung parliament is bad, which is an approach I've seen a lot of in Tory materials of late (big ass advert on Youtube, for example). Latest MRP still predicts a Tory majority, but another hung parliament is now within the margin of error and Tories are now in full get out the vote mode. With tactical voting by remainers and an either a surge or total lack of young voters, this is going to be really hard to predict.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I expect massive turnout today. Assumption is December will be low turnout but there is no psephological evidence for that and I think it will be the highest General Election turnout in at least 20 years.

Anecdotally on my street there have been 4 houses with placards outside them, two each for Tory and Labour (with one of the Labour ones also having a giant red Unite flag). This morning there's just the two Labour ones, looks like someone has stolen the Tory ones overnight. Stealing other people's property is just disrespectful. Personally I've never put a placard outside my home and never will because I worry someone will put a brick through the window for it being the "wrong" one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Personally I've never put a placard outside my home and never will because I worry someone will put a brick through the window for it being the "wrong" one.
    Agreed.

Such is the state of politics at the moment I won't even tell my friends who I'm voting for, let alone complete strangers.

That's why I like discussing it online not in real life.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    So, when can we expect to hear that you've successfully shot yourself in both feet again?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Should get the exit poll by 10 tonight, GMT.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I predict a strong Tory majority. Stronger than May and Cameron. Boris will be portrayed as a demigod.

And I predict I will thoroughly irritated to my very core.

Been out to vote in my Lib Dem stronghold. That's not likely to change on a local front.

Nationally, my prediction is a hung parliament.

I sense people are tired of extreme right and extreme left, with little of the centrist on offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Would be so funny to get a Conservative majority with Johnson being defeated. Would be even better if he's defeated by one vote.
    Congratulations America

Exit polls show a crushing victory. But the Conservatives seem to be be erased from Scotland again.
    Congratulations America

I hope that's right! Goodbye Corbyn and removes the grip of the ERG off the government. Win/win. Silver lining for you gogo I hope.

55 SNP probably means Swinson has lost her own seat.

55 SNP probably means Swinson has lost her own seat.
    That's not necessarily a bad thing for her party. And Labour can rid itself of Corbyn, finally.
    Congratulations America

I hope that's right! Goodbye Corbyn and removes the grip of the ERG off the government. Win/win. Silver lining for you gogo I hope.
    Silver lining in terms of the end of Corbyn, hopefully momentum, and hopefully a firm nudge back to the centre.

Very frustrating and irritating in terms of continuing to put that lying sack of unprincipled stain in charge, and the horrible people around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    That's not necessarily a bad thing for her party. And Labour can rid itself of Corbyn, finally.
    This is the best possible result not just for my party but for the country IMO. We can now put Brexit behind us and get a sane trade deal with the EU that will be a simple bilateral deal without Parliament playing silly buggers.

The Labour Party will hopefully get rid of the antisemitic Corbynista cancer that took it over. People who dislike the Tories shouldn't turn a blind eye to what has happened to Labour.

If Labour refuse to change then they will be in a weak state at sub-200 MPs and vulnerable to being displaced by a well led Lib Dem party potentially.

The Tories can't rule forever, but they can for now in the best interests of the country hopefully - and give the oppositions time to sort themselves out. To face reality of what's gone wrong.

FYI even if De Pfeffel had 650 seats any future relationship will depend on how many of May's red lines he's going to ditch. Since he already has shown he's willing to bend all the way on northern Ireland in the end you may have opted for Bino today.
    Congratulations America

Not going to happen. Boris had to bend before because Parliament left him no choice plus he only bent on areas we were entirely happy to bend on.

Wait and see. De Pfeffel has a chance now to govern at least one term and maybe two if he doesn't fuck up your economy. That is done by a brexit so soft you could cut it with a blunt butter knife. The Norwegian job so to say.

Alternatively you have De Pfeffel making himself the most hated PM this century. You don't have to be a genius to see where this is going.

I wouldn't even be surprised if at the end of the process you'll be inside the Schengen area.
    Congratulations America

Seems like the exit polls were right.
    Congratulations America

hahaha reading twitter is funny today

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Seems like the exit polls were right.
    Yep. Massive Labour losses in the NE, major gains for the Brexit party.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Mr Farage says: "It's always party before country with you lot isn't it?

"I wouldn't expect anybody in the Conservative Party to thank anybody. They only think about themselves."

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    hahaha reading twitter is funny today
    I don't read Twitter. Two good David Cameron quotes 'Too many Tweets makes a twat' and 'Twitter is not Britain'.

If Twitter was right Prime Minister Corbyn would have swept the nation against opposition Prime Minister Jo Swinson.

Ok boomer
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

You don't need to be a boomer to have issues with Twatter.

First few seats not just confirming the exit poll but swing currently beating the exit poll. Fingers cross this continues.

I don't read Twitter. Two good David Cameron quotes 'Too many Tweets makes a twat' and 'Twitter is not Britain'.

If Twitter was right Prime Minister Corbyn would have swept the nation against opposition Prime Minister Jo Swinson.
    Twitter is an endless source of amusement, you don't even have to try to provoke absurd overreactions.

I wonder who the Corbynistas are going to blame for this easily predictable outcome.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I wonder who the Corbynistas are going to blame for this easily predictable outcome.
    The thing that gets me is how much of an own goal this was for Labour. The Tories haven't done themselves any favors - they've looked incompetent and untrustworthy with the whole Brexit debacle and a competently led Labour should have been able to trounce them. Instead, they've got Momentum and Corbyn.

The lessons for Democrats in the US need not be elaborated upon further.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)