Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UK General Election 12 December

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Interesting to see this Trumpian use of labels alongside names. "Remainer May" is less informative than "Habitual Liar Johnson".
    You think Trump was the first person to label people they dislike? You've had a sheltered life if so.
    Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    That's not the only reason week still in the EU, as I've outlined above.

And we can't accept the deal now because the PM has pulled it.
    The PM pulled it because Parliament was obfuscating and didn't pass it in a timely fashion - in the timetable set by the Benn Act as appropriate.
    Brexit Party launching their campaign today. They are clearly out to damage and attack the Tory party.

Farage says Johnson's deal isn't Brexit, they will stand in every single seat, and that Johnson's deal is so closely aligned to the EU he has no doubt there would be a campaign to remain which would win.

Very interesting.
    Irrelevant hasbeen.

I hope he does stand. If he does I think he will attract votes from former Labour voters who will habitually never vote for the Tories. I think Tory-inclined leavers will vote for the Tories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    The PM pulled it because Parliament was obfuscating and didn't pass it in a timely fashion - in the timetable set by the Benn Act as appropriate.
    Irrelevant hasbeen.

I hope he does stand. If he does I think he will attract votes from former Labour voters who will habitually never vote for the Tories. I think Tory-inclined leavers will vote for the Tories.
    It was a timetable set by the Tory leadership. If he'd brought his deal earlier, which he should have done, there would have been plenty of time. The Benn act did nothing.

And an irrelevant has-been that you voted for and legitimised. Good job.

You think Trump was the first person to label people they dislike? You've had a sheltered life if so.
    I think your style of compulsively appending simplistic labels to your enemies' names is very reminiscent of the way Trump and his kooky base speak of their enemies. But, if we're going to use labels, "Habitual Liar Johnson" is far more accurate than "Remainer May"; after all, May stopped campaigning for Remain after the referendum, and worked to negotiate an exit, whereas Johnson has continued to be a liar.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

It was a timetable set by the Tory leadership. If he'd brought his deal earlier, which he should have done, there would have been plenty of time. The Benn act did nothing.

And an irrelevant has-been that you voted for and legitimised. Good job.
    No it wasn't a timetable set by the Tory leadership, it was a timetable literally inserted into the Benn Act.

Literally section 1 of the Benn Act.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Benn Act, section 1
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/26/section/1/enacted
    (1)The condition in this subsection is that a Minister of the Crown has laid before each House of Parliament a statement that the United Kingdom has concluded an agreement with the European Union under Article 50(2) of the Treaty on European Union and a copy of the agreement and—

(a)the agreement has been approved by resolution of the House of Commons on a motion moved by a Minister of the Crown, and

(b)a motion for the House of Lords to take note of the agreement has been tabled in the House of Lords by a Minister of the Crown and—

(i)the House of Lords has debated the motion, or

(ii)the House of Lords has not concluded a debate on the motion before the end of the period of two Lords sitting days beginning with the first Lords sitting day after the day on which the House of Commons passes the resolution mentioned in paragraph (a)

(2) [Snipped ~ Irrelevant is Parliament voting for No Deal]

(3)If neither of the conditions in subsection (1) or subsection (2) is satisfied, subsection (4) must be complied with no later than 19 October 2019.
    The Benn Act gave a deadline of 19 October 2019 to agree a deal and put a Meaningful Vote before the House and get it approved, leaving the rest of October to then ratify the deal. The government complied with that deadline and put down a Meaningful Vote in the timescale proscribed, only to have Letwin conspire with Remainers to void the MV and circumvent the deadline put forth in the Benn Act.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

So, do we think BoJo is going to do a deal with Nigel?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

About as likely as him making a deal with Corbyn.

About as likely as him making a deal with Corbyn.
    Like the one to have an election in December ?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    No deal was reached with Corbyn about that. He was outmaneouverd, outgunned, tried to stop it until it was blindingly obvious to everyone that he couldn't, then he jumped on board screaming 'bring it on' after his attempts to frustrate it failed.

So yeah, just like that.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Or the deal he had to take before being forced to lie dead in a ditch?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Its a decent deal.

English Trump:

"Get Brexit done" is a possibly the worst of all of the pathetic slogans peddled by our criminal Vote Leave government.

It must surely only appeal to children and those with learning difficulties.

But perhaps I'm being unfair to children.

On another note I've spoken with 2 people recently who say they'll be voting Brexit Party. I asked them if they were comfortable voting for a party with an unelected leader and no manifesto. They were.

Can anyone explain that?
    I'm guessing it's because most people want to see a referendum executed; they know a lack of fulfillment will mean greater entrenchment of the media/policy elite that happens to be anti-Brexit.

I sincerely hope that someone is paying for your heel turn.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Farage has confirmed he's defeated before the campaigning even begins - he's not even running personally.

This confirms what I've long said, I've voted twice now to make Farage cease to be a politician in the UK. The second we Brexit he is history.

Farage will never be history ... I've said this before on this forum, and him not standing for the election is exactly as I predicted.

Farage loves attention, he loves being in the headlines, but he certainly does not want the significant scrutiny that standing for office brings.

He's a weasel at his core. Being in this position where he's snapping around at the heels of and being critical of those who are/are trying to be in elected office, but not subject to the same scrutiny as them, is a perfect place for a weasel, where he can be as weaselly as he likes with his words and weasel his way out of anything without any accountability whatsoever.

Because of this, you will never see the back of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I still want to know where he's getting the resources to run candidates in every seat in England and Wales. UKIP never managed that.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I still want to know where he's getting the resources to run candidates in every seat in England and Wales. UKIP never managed that.
    Would not surprise me if it's a combination of misappropriation of EU money and foreign interests.
    Congratulations America

I thought fielding a candidate in every seat was an idle threat / hyperbole / weasel words. I didn't think BXP were actually intending to do so!

Wonder if they'll actually get a seat or two.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Habitual Liar Boris Johnson:

*fingers in ears* nurr nurr he's not a liar he's not a liar nurr nurr

Can't tell what's funnier, that he got smacked down again, or that the Telegraph's only defense of him is still that he is a bullshitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Wonder if they'll actually get a seat or two.
    LOL no!

Farage knows he won't get any seats which is why he isn't even bothering to stand himself. He's an attention whore and that's all this is about for him, he's lapping up the attention with this 'will he, won't he' bullshit.

As it happens I think the BXP not standing [which I expect] benefits Labour more than the Tories.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    The final paragraph in that second article is horrific, I hope that never happens though I'm hopeful its BS.

As it happens I think the BXP not standing [which I expect] benefits Labour more than the Tories.
    The idea that anyone who feels strongly enough about leaving to vote BXP would vote for the party that just made a second referendum their policy as their second choice is bizarre.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Don't assume every voter is as logical or engaged with politics as we are.

Many leave supporting voters especially in the North and Midlands but not just there would never be seen dead voting for the Tories. Anyone who seriously follows politics already knows that the only way to guarantee Brexit is a Tory majority. So anyone who is prepared to vote Tory and wants Brexit already will be voting Boris.

There will be leave supporting traditionally Labour supporting voters who would never vote Tory but would vote BXP. If BXP don't stand then they could return home back to Labour.

See this example.

Workington had a ton of Ukippers back when UKIP were a thing, and when UKIP died in 2017 on the face of it they went 50% 50% to Tories and Labour, giving the Tories 10% above their 2010 total of 30% (the LD vote also collapsed that year, and presumably they all went to Labour, so probably a lot more Ukippers went Tory than Labour). This was before Labour decided they were in favour of a second referendum.

So, the idea that people won't vote Tory here or change their allegiance from Labour is wrong. We have a ~60% leave area voting ~60% leave parties, no reason to think those Brexit party guys are going to all go directly back to Labour. I mean, maybe some of them will but it's not going to overturn that 9% lead the Tory candidate has.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Roh Rwoh, looks like people are fired up about Brexit in the year of our Lord 2019.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Workington had a ton of Ukippers back when UKIP were a thing, and when UKIP died in 2017 on the face of it they went 50% 50% to Tories and Labour, giving the Tories 10% above their 2010 total of 30% (the LD vote also collapsed that year, and presumably they all went to Labour, so probably a lot more Ukippers went Tory than Labour). This was before Labour decided they were in favour of a second referendum.

So, the idea that people won't vote Tory here or change their allegiance from Labour is wrong. We have a ~60% leave area voting ~60% leave parties, no reason to think those Brexit party guys are going to all go directly back to Labour. I mean, maybe some of them will but it's not going to overturn that 9% lead the Tory candidate has.
    Did I say nobody would go Tories? Yes when UKIP died and split to both Tories and Labour - what I am suggesting is that in 2019 if BXP stands because of Brexit those who would be inclined to vote for the Tories may well go directly there, but those against the Tories may go BXP instead of Labour. If BXP stands down then those Labour/UKIP/Labour/BXP voters may return home to Labour.

Glad to see Immigration down to just 5%

Lmao immigration is one of the most important issues in brexit you numpty.