There've been some remarkable changes little spoken about in the energy market in the last decade. Personally I think the UK - and other nations - can and should seek to get close to 100% of its electricity consumption from 'green' means within the next decade, and we will ultimately be able to drive electric vehicles too which if they're consuming green electricity will transform our output of both greenhouse emissions and lead to much cleaner air for us to breath too.

In the past decade wind has gone from providing 2% of our electricity to 20% of it, with the biggest increase in recent years. This summer we went through months without burning coal for the first time ever. New offshore wind farms now are without any subsidies cheaper to build, maintain and operate than any other new electricity output including fossil fuels. I would seek to escalate this. But wind has two problems, firstly if the wind drops output drops or stops, or gets too high then it can stop too, but that's less of an issue offshore than onshore and can be predicted quite accurately 48h in advance. Secondly it can't cope with spikes in demands.

As a backup to cope with spikes and wind intermissions I would seek to build more tidal lagoons. Another natural resource, lagoons can produce electricity entirely on demand.

Gas could be kept as an emergency backup but most of the time I don't think it will or should be needed.