Thread: "White Wedding"

Default "White Wedding"

A short history of the Alt-Right and how it found its place in the modern Republican Party:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...=pocket-newtab

No replies?

I didn't post my opinion because I wanted to see what others thought of this article. Didn't anyone notice the mention of Lee Atwater, who was the "founder" of conservative (R) identity politics?

By the end of the 1970s, southern nationalists had spent more than a decade trying to re-code their racism to make it more palatable. As master political consultant Lee Atwater put it: “You start out in 1954 by saying, ‘Nigger, nigger, nigger.’ By 1968, you can’t say ‘nigger’—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states’ rights.”
    Or that Pompeo played an early role in obfuscating facts for political purposes?

During the administration of President Barack Obama, the new generation of conservative politicians had the extremists’ backs. In 2009, the Department of Homeland Security issued a report forecasting a rise in racist violence. Republicans objected so vociferously that DHS rescinded the projection and silenced its domestic terrorism unit. Mike Pompeo, then a congressman from Kansas, said it was “dangerous” to track homegrown violence.
    At the very least, I thought people might react to the comment that
    Asked why no Klansman was killed in the shootings, he <Virgil Griffin> answered: “Maybe God guided the bullets.”

I noticed an incredible time-gap in the article between the two sets of extremists starting to work together and anything current. No linking people, organizations, events, etc. mentioned between then and now. Seemed a curious absence.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I appreciated that an article about the origins of the alt-right avoided ever talking about the origins of the alt-right.