Thread: Trump pardons murderous war-criminals

Default Trump pardons murderous war-criminals

Republicans silent as Trump pretends to honour men and women in uniform by rewarding people who have - in the view of those responsible for meting out justice in the military - disgraced it:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/15/u...p-pardons.html
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I'm surprised they're being silent rather than being vocal in their support. Whatever those in the military themselves might think, this sort of sentiment is going to be very popular with the GOP base. For the same reasons that police officers can't POSSIBLY be held at fault for lethal shootings regardless of the context.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Maybe "they" are starting to see the redicuallity of this (omg...I almost said man).
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Pardons are designed to give mercy to the guilty. In the haze of war shit happens. A little different than pardoning someone on the FBI most wanted list IMO.

Toothpaste.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Pardons are designed to give mercy to the guilty. In the haze of war shit happens. A little different than pardoning someone on the FBI most wanted list IMO.
    This bullshit defense is not applicable to these cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Toothpaste.
    If I recall correctly you wanted criminal charges filed due to the toothpaste incident, and I did not.

If I recall correctly you wanted criminal charges filed due to the toothpaste incident, and I did not.
    Your recollection is erroneous. I never commented in that thread. But war crimes seem to be a lesser evil to you then theft. You are, at best, bewildering. If it were your child I doubt you would feel war crimes are something to be contemptuously pardoned.

Your recollection is erroneous. I never commented in that thread. But war crimes seem to be a lesser evil to you then theft. You are, at best, bewildering. If it were your child I doubt you would feel war crimes are something to be contemptuously pardoned.
    Ah must have been someone else who wanted the store clerk charged with something, it was awhile ago.

... it was awhile ago.
    And still you have not.

Ah must have been someone else who wanted the store clerk charged with something, it was awhile ago.
    I.e. every person besides you who commented in the thread. Or heard about it
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Trump upended military rules of conduct and JAG court authority by giving these pardons. He treats his role as "commander in chief" like a reality TV show, but it's just another *symptom* of our fucked up American mindset that he gets away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Trump upended military rules of conduct and JAG court authority by giving these pardons. He treats his role as "commander in chief" like a reality TV show, but it's just another *symptom* of our fucked up American mindset that he gets away with it.
    And a civilian pardon upends civilian laws, the court authority and the will of the jury. I don't see how a pardon for a military crime is substantially different than for a civilian one.

And a civilian pardon upends civilian laws, the court authority and the will of the jury. I don't see how a pardon for a military crime is substantially different than for a civilian one.
    I think this is the closest you've come to admitting your own stupidity.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

The military has its own court system to deal with things that aren't necessarily illegal in civil law, like "conduct unbecoming" or being AWOL. That can mean time spent in a military jail and/or dishonorable discharge. There are also military prisons for more serious crimes committed during service, like rape or murder or even war crimes. So yeah, it has an important role in military culture that goes beyond civilian laws.

Trump's meddling turned toxic:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...vy-seals-case/

Haze of war? Is this the kind of murderer you want to see walk the streets of your neighborhood?

Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Haze of war? Is this the kind of murderer you want to see walk the streets of your neighborhood?
    He didn't steal toothpaste, so yeah.

He was acquitted on the stabbing charge, Trump didn't pardon him for that.

"Haze of war"

In a two-day preliminary hearing at Naval Base San Diego that concluded Thursday, prosecutors presented accounts from several other SEALs in Chief Gallagher’s platoon describing his behavior as reckless and bloodthirsty. They said he fired into civilian crowds, gunned down a girl walking along a riverbank and an old man carrying a water jug, and threatened to kill fellow SEALs if they reported his actions.

Some platoon members were so distraught by the chief’s actions, investigators said, that they tampered with his sniper rifle to make it less accurate, and fired warning shots to scare away civilians before the chief had a chance to shoot them.

“They said they spent more time protecting civilians than they did fighting ISIS,” Special Agent Joe Warpinski of the Naval Criminal Investigative Service told the military court.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/u...gher-isis.html
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Conservative America embraces sociopathic murderer:

Toothpaste.
    Ok, I had to laugh at that one.

Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

He was acquitted on the stabbing charge, Trump didn't pardon him for that.
    Trump interfered with the military chain of command, and prevented them from punishing a soldier who violated codes of conduct.

"A decorated SEAL team leader, Gallagher was convicted in July of bringing discredit to the armed services after posing in a photo next to a dead ISIS fighter's body in 2017 in Iraq, which is against regulations." https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/27/polit...ews/index.html

Trump might be Commander in Chief, but that doesn't mean he should disregard DoD or Pentagon recommendations, upend the military's JAG court authority, or allow a guy like Gallagher (who should have been dishonorably discharged) to retire with full benefits. He's messing with the whole military culture by micro-managing for the Fox & Friends crowd pushing their Deep State victim conspiracies.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Trump interfered with the military chain of command, and prevented them from punishing a soldier who violated codes of conduct.

"A decorated SEAL team leader, Gallagher was convicted in July of bringing discredit to the armed services after posing in a photo next to a dead ISIS fighter's body in 2017 in Iraq, which is against regulations." https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/27/polit...ews/index.html

Trump might be Commander in Chief, but that doesn't mean he should disregard DoD or Pentagon recommendations, upend the military's JAG court authority, or allow a guy like Gallagher (who should have been dishonorably discharged) to retire with full benefits. He's messing with the whole military culture by micro-managing for the Fox & Friends crowd pushing their Deep State victim conspiracies.
    He's literally the boss of the military.

That's one of your more stupid comments this month.