Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Football

Default Football

Liverpool followed up our Champions League trophy today winning up the Club World Cup - the only trophy Liverpool had never won before (counting one trophy becoming another, we'd never won its predecessor the Intercontinental Cup). Meanwhile Man City took 3 points off improbably second-placed Leicester leaving us at the Christmas break 10 points ahead in the league with a game in hand. Probably more importantly 11 points and a game in hand ahead of Man City.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Yeh Liverpool are a masterclass at the moment. Truly dominant.

Meanwhile West Ham are a masterclass in self-destruct.
    Still have hopes Pellegrini will sort things out, he has great form, but time is running out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

The one thing going for you is there's quite a few masterclasses in self-destruction this season. Even United losing today to bottom of the table Watford who hadn't won yet at home this season . Only 2 points currently between Brighton and Southampton.

My guess is facing relegation would be Watford, Norwich and either Bournemouth or Brighton.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Unfortunately my home team also gives plenty of masterclasses in self destruction this season
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Hoping your Hammers win today. City are self-destructing it seems.

What do you think about Pellegrini being sacked and replaced by Moyes? Seems a . . . bizarre choice to me.

Soccer?!

The sport where you control the ball with your feet.

Not handball.

Been on a week's skiing in France over new year so not been keeping up with the footy.

Pellegrini had to go. He is a great manager but didn't seem to gel at West Ham.

Moyes in place again and a 4-0 win seems to be the needed push into the later stages of the season.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

10 wins from final 16 games would guarantee the first League title for Liverpool in 30 years.

It's one heck of a season for Liverpool.

Meanwhile Man Utd were booed and jeered by their own fans last night, losing at home 0-2 to Burnley for the first time ever in the premier league.

Moyes has a challenge on his hands keeping the Hammers out of relegation. We're above the line but on equal points with Bournemouth and Watford in the relegation zone below us.

Last night's FA Cup games should make you happy Rand.

Tranmere in a bit of a shock win over Watford, 2-1 AET.

They now see Man U in the next round.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Last night's FA Cup games should make you happy Rand.

Tranmere in a bit of a shock win over Watford, 2-1 AET.

They now see Man U in the next round.
    Indeed I was about to mention that LOL but you beat me to it. Great result for us, at the start of the century we had a few good years of knocking out Premier League clubs in the Cups but this is our first season back in League One so to be hosting Manchester United at Prenton Park is exciting. I'm not expecting a result, especially after losing two in a bounce they won't be resting, but without doing a Kevin Keegan if we manage to get one that would be a real coup. Even a draw earning a replay at Old Trafford would be a great result for us. If we knock them out then I expect OGS will be sacked so he's not going to field a second string team.

For Tranmere avoiding an immediate drop back into League Two is the priority for this season, we're in the relegation zone currently and it will probably be either MK Dons or us going down with Bolton and Southend (both guaranteed pretty much). MK Dons have 3 points and a superior goal difference on us, but we have 2 games in hand.

That's the second shock against Watford btw. When Watford hosted this game at home we were 3-0 down away at half time and managed to come back to draw the game 3-3 and set up this replay. Not very often a club in the relegation zone of League One can come back then beat in the replay a Premier League club.
    Last edited by RandBlade; 01-24-2020 at 09:04 AM.

Well that didn't go according to plan for us did it?

I heard on Sky Sports News the run of fixtures West Ham have coming up and all I can say is "ouch": Liverpool, Brighton, Man City, Liverpool again, Southampton, Arsenal, Wolves, Spurs, Chelsea. That's a horrible run of fixtures to be entering in poor form. I could see you guys getting 4-6 points from those 9 fixtures, but at least then the rest of your season is better.

Lol 6-0. Oh well, kinda expected.

No joy for us either in the cup, losing dismally to the Baggies. Form is dreadful

Liverpool ending January on 70 points and 19 points clear. That has to be all sorts of a record.

You guys are still 1 goal ahead of the drop zone. I hope you don't get relegated.

For nearly a decade now I've had an annual bet with a friend (Manchester United fan) about whether Liverpool or Manchester United will finish higher in the table. Loser pays £10 to the charity of the others choosing. We settle the bet when its mathematically guaranteed. We're currently 36 points ahead with 14 games remaining so the result is likely to be concluded formally in February, that's never happened before. Not sure which charity to choose this year, last year was Help for Heroes.

Liverpool will not screw this up, they've been utterly dominant this year despite everyone else being crazy poor. I would love to see them win at mathematically at Goodison Park though - now that would be hilarious.

My only hope is that they don't get a golden PL trophy .... it's my only go to in the banter era of Arsenal Football Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    Liverpool will not screw this up, they've been utterly dominant this year despite everyone else being crazy poor. I would love to see them win at mathematically at Goodison Park though - now that would be hilarious.

My only hope is that they don't get a golden PL trophy .... it's my only go to in the banter era of Arsenal Football Club.
    Indeed, yours and coincidentally since its where I currently live Preston's too.

I don't think it will happen though. The League will almost certainly be won by early April (probably at Man City will be my guess which is second-best for banter after Goodison - Goodison requires City to continue dropping points at the rate they have whereas if we and City get the same points from our games between now and that game, we would need a draw at City to both win the League and coincidentally if we've avoided defeat that long to match your 49-game undefeated run). Once the League is won I expect Klopp will prioritise the Champions League and may rest players during Premier League games at the end of the season. Why put out your top squad in the league when you've already won it when you've got Real Madrid or Barcelona etc on Tuesday?

Having said that I do think Klopp wants to beat Manchester City's 100 point record.

I think its a shame that Klopp is resting the entire squad for the 4th Round FA Cup replay and hope that the U23 kids who will play instead can get us through that round. I don't think its the right decision given the League situation but I'm not going to argue with Klopp and understand where he is coming from - its absurd that the FA Cup 4th Round Replay has been scheduled during the winter break and further absurd that the FA are insisting that is the right decision to schedule them then using the logic that the 5th round replays have been cancelled so these should go during the break. If the 5th Round replays can be cancelled then why haven't the 4th Round replays been cancelled it doesn't make any sense whatsoever - either the FA Cup should have a replay in which case the 5th Round ones should go ahead, or it doesn't need it in which case they shouldn't be scheduling them during the winter break.

Liverpool lifting the title at Goodison looks increasingly likely after City lost away at Spurs today.

If the two clubs win all their games through March then Liverpool would win the title if they beat Crystal Palace at on 21 March. It will take one defeat more for City than Liverpool to make Goodison the decider.

However look at the forthcoming fixtures.

Between now and the game at Goodison:
    Liverpool go Away to: Norwich City, Watford
    Liverpool at Home host: West Ham, Bournemouth

Man City go Away to: Leicester, Manchester United
    Man City at Home host: West Ham, Burnley

Looking at those fixtures City seem more likely to drop points before the match at Goodison than Liverpool do.

Man City banned from the Champions League for 2 seasons for cheating the FFP rules. Good, too damn right! Hope the same happens to PSG if they've abused the situation too.

Talk of a points deduction potentially taking place. I hope if that happens this season that doesn't happen before Liverpool win the league (assuming we do) - that is NOT how the League should be won!

With United currently in 9th place looks like if the CAS doesn't lift the ban then we could have MANCHEXIT (I'm coining that). I wonder if the Champions League has ever not had a Manchester club in it?

Wow Tim, what a game that was. I actually feel sorry for you guys not to get anything, you guys played much better and were a much bigger challenge than I expected. Keep playing like that and you'll get out of the relegation zone.

Typical West Ham. Will be having a shit season down in the doldrums and lose consistently to mediocre teams, then pull out fairly stellar performances against top teams.

Not enough to overcome the league leaders on the night, but they'll take some confidence from the game.

Watford ends the run.

More gutted that means the title can't be won at Goodison than that the club won't be Invincibles. PNE and Arsenal's claim to fame remains intact.

Two to go. Come on the Gunners so we can do it at Goodison!

PNE also have an unbeaten season?

For some reason I find that hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    PNE also have an unbeaten season?

For some reason I find that hilarious
    Indeed in the 19th century, they were the original invincibles.

If the season is abandoned and not played to completion then depending upon how remaining points are rewarded West Ham could either stay up or be relegated.

Premier League is resuming on my birthday

It's coming home
    It's coming home
    It's coming
    Football's coming home

Chelsea 1 - 0 Man City at half time. City need to score at least 2 goals in the second half or the Reds are Champions.