Thread: Should these extremists be on some sort of watch-list?

Default Should these extremists be on some sort of watch-list?

But this October morning was “Trumpstock,” a small festival celebrating the president. The speakers included the local Republican congressman, Paul Gosar, and lesser-known conservative personalities. There was a fringe 2020 Senate candidate in Arizona who ran a website that published sexually explicit photos of women without their consent; a pro-Trump rapper whose lyrics include a racist slur aimed at Barack Obama; and a North Carolina activist who once said of Muslims, “I will kill every one of them before they get to me.”

“I don’t have a problem with Muslims,” said Angus Smith, an Arizona resident who attended the festival, “but can they take the rag off their head out of respect for our country?”

“If you’re Muslim, just tell us you’re Muslim,” she said of Mr. Obama. “It’s not that I didn’t believe him, I’m just not qualified to answer that question. I’ve seen information on both sides that’s compelling.”

Mark Villalta said he had been stockpiling firearms, in case Mr. Trump’s re-election is not successful.

“Nothing less than a civil war would happen,” Mr. Villalta said, his right hand reaching for a holstered handgun. “I don’t believe in violence, but I’ll do what I got to do.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/28/u...rumpstock.html

Obviously, these particular people are just a buncha tryhards. Equally obviously, they're also Islamophobic extremists with a penchant for pro-violence rhetoric. When people such as these openly—publicly!—express a desire to kill members of religious minorities, or to kill their political opponents if said opponents prevail in a (more or less) democratic election, are they placed on some sort of watch-list? Subjected to additional scrutiny when they buy firearms? Monitored for unusual financial activity or movements? If not, should they be? What's the present standard for dealing with Americans who express such violent extremist views? Again, I think the majority of these ludicrous fuckwits are just Lewkowskian posers, but I can't help but wonder what might happen to a brown Muslim man if he were to say similar things.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I suspect the point of watch lists is you usually don't know you're on one, and at least some of these folks are on one.

Watch list for a Stephen Miller replacement?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Maybe New Jersey can send more police officers to patrol their neighborhoods and send more spies into their holy places (churches and gun ranges).

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Maybe New Jersey can send more police officers to patrol their neighborhoods and send more spies into their holy places (churches and gun ranges).
    You know generally no one really cares if there are police officers or military in church, they are more than welcome.

Perhaps they are on some sorta list:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/colorado-m...ry?id=70491370

Throw the book at the terrorist.

Seems like Dread's reply was prescient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    You know generally no one really cares if there are police officers or military in church, they are more than welcome.
    Haven't you gotten the far right memo that shouting at the police is the cool thing to do? https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...ic-ncna1198301

I think what's most disappointing here is the failure of the white community to come out and condemn these terrorists.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Haven't you gotten the far right memo that shouting at the police is the cool thing to do? https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...ic-ncna1198301
    Who would have guessed that a reliably hypocritical group like this would throw Blue Lives Matter out the window as soon as they could ignore BLM?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."