Thread: 3D Printed Guns / Anti-Gun Countries

Default 3D Printed Guns / Anti-Gun Countries

https://www.thetrace.org/2019/07/3d-...ial-media-ban/

"But while the sites have effectively eliminated major players like Deterrence Dispensed, they’ve had significantly more trouble policing individuals. A review of recent posts on Twitter, Reddit, and YouTube reveals that links to files containing 3D-printed gun plans are still readily accessible on each platform. Some Twitter users have continued to share direct links to firearm downloads since the site’s policy changes took effect, and many tweets predating the change remain accessible through the site’s search. YouTube instructionals on how to build 3D-printed guns still have millions of views, and several Reddit threads aggregate links to online destinations for 3D-printed gun files."

Right now 3D printed guns can be created but they are expensive and unreliable. However like with almost everything as technology and engineering efficiencies come on line it will soon be far more reasonable to create a 3D printed gun. Now this doesn't change the market a lot in America where guns are cheap and plentiful and even with improvements it will likely be far easier to still purchase guns through regular (or irregular) channels.

But...

What about other countries? What will 3D gun printing do to countries where guns aren't ready and plentiful and there are aggressive anti-gun laws? For example places like the UK, what will 3D printing do to the number of guns there?

I still can't believe the media started this decade talking about 3D printed everything, and nowadays the only thing I hear about 3D printing is about guns. Even though it's actually being used for at least a few more practical things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I still can't believe the media started this decade talking about 3D printed everything, and nowadays the only thing I hear about 3D printing is about guns. Even though it's actually being used for at least a few more practical things.
    You and I have very different media environments.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quite, i actually did not read about printed guns in a while in the media.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Ditto, news has mainly focused on organic 3D printing these past few years, and I work within the 3D printing communities almost daily. I've even shared a picture or two on here of the 3D printing I did for my car.

I also wouldn't call 3D printing a gun expensive. You can buy a printer for less than a handgun and a roll of plastic, that would easily print multiple copies, is only ~$20. The plans for printing one have been out in the wild for 7 years now, yet the world marches on.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 12-31-2019 at 04:35 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I still can't believe the media started this decade talking about 3D printed everything, and nowadays the only thing I hear about 3D printing is about guns.
    Because the algorithm knows how to trigger you, and/or you have a compulsive need to seek out news that will trigger you. The vast overwhelming majority of articles on 3D printing that I've seen over the past half a decade or so have not been about 3D-printed guns.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

IANAL but I assume anyone who prints a gun would be a criminal and liable to be arrested if caught.

Its a dumb question really, these are far from the first illegal weapons that the security services can work to tackle. You can make homemade explosives using readily available ingredients too, does that mean the security services don't try and prevent people making homemade explosives for terrorist attacks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Ditto, news has mainly focused on organic 3D printing these past few years, and I work within the 3D printing communities almost daily. I've even shared a picture or two on here of the 3D printing I did for my car.

I also wouldn't call 3D printing a gun expensive. You can buy a printer for less than a handgun and a roll of plastic, that would easily print multiple copies, is only ~$20. The plans for printing one have been out in the wild for 7 years now, yet the world marches on.
    Yeah don't try to use a 3D Printed $20 gun, that shit will blow up in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    What about other countries? What will 3D gun printing do to countries where guns aren't ready and plentiful and there are aggressive anti-gun laws? For example places like the UK, what will 3D printing do to the number of guns there?
    My guess - not much. Guns need ammo, and you can't print that.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    IANAL but I assume anyone who prints a gun would be a criminal and liable to be arrested if caught.
    It's trickier in the US at least. 3D printed guns aren't illegal, and there are serious hurdles to making them illegal. The feds have been trying to put a stop to distribution of the design plans though, as that's on firmer legal ground. Legalities aside, enforcement is impractical. There's no supply chain to interrupt, and if you search my house and can prove I don't have a 3D gun, I can still have one an hour later. And if I see you coming to search my house again, it'll just be a block of raw materials before you've finished showing me the warrant.

It's not a big deal yet - 3D printed guns are single-use only, have terrible accuracy, and have a real chance of exploding instead of firing. The types of printers that can make these things at reasonable quality aren't affordable for most people yet. The interest in 3D printing has been waning a bit as focus has been shifting to other forms of automation, so we've got time before the issue needs to be dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by BalticSailor View Post
    Compared to the gun, making ammo is trivial. People have been doing it as a hobby for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Yeah don't try to use a 3D Printed $20 gun, that shit will blow up in your hand.
    The liberator has been shown to work, by law enforcement no less, using regular ABS plastic. Hell, even wikipedia has a video of it being successfully fired.

Quote Originally Posted by BalticSailor View Post
    you can 3D print bullets too
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

They printed a part of the projectile, and even that needs additional adjustments post-print to be usable. You still can't print explosive material, which is crucial for the cartridge to work. And access to explosives is limited - perhaps not efficiently, but anyone who can get the material necessary to construct a working gun cartridge, can also obtain a firearm already, so 3D printers are unlikely to change much in that regard.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est