Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 50

Thread: Here Comes the BOOM

  1. #1

    Default Here Comes the BOOM

    https://heavy.com/news/2020/01/qassem-soleimani/

    "The New Yorker article says that Soleimani has the blood of American soldiers on his hands; he was known for “assassinating rivals, arming allies, and, for most of a decade, directing a network of militant groups that killed hundreds of Americans in Iraq.” The U.S. Department of the Treasury sanctioned Suleimani.

    Tensions were already escalating with the Iran-backed militia attacks on the U.S. embassy in Iraq. Those attacks followed U.S. air raids “against Kataib Hezbollah militia bases” to avenge the death of a U.S. contractor in missile attacks in northern Iraq, according to Jerusalem Post. In contrast, the Obama administration had signed a nuclear deal with Iran."

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    11,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    https://heavy.com/news/2020/01/qassem-soleimani/

    "The New Yorker article says that Soleimani has the blood of American soldiers on his hands; he was known for “assassinating rivals, arming allies, and, for most of a decade, directing a network of militant groups that killed hundreds of Americans in Iraq.” The U.S. Department of the Treasury sanctioned Suleimani.

    Tensions were already escalating with the Iran-backed militia attacks on the U.S. embassy in Iraq. Those attacks followed U.S. air raids “against Kataib Hezbollah militia bases” to avenge the death of a U.S. contractor in missile attacks in northern Iraq, according to Jerusalem Post. In contrast, the Obama administration had signed a nuclear deal with Iran."
    I guess it is satisfying to lash out. I'm not certain it's the smartest thing to do if you are not looking for an all out war.
    Trump: Lock him up.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I guess it is satisfying to lash out. I'm not certain it's the smartest thing to do if you are not looking for an all out war.
    Twitter trending WWIII like... do people think that would actually happen? If Iran really wants to continue to escalate they'll be guaranteeing their leadership will face the fate of Saddam and Gaddafi.

  4. #4
    Wow, you really are such a fucking boomer, and at such a young age too

    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Twitter trending WWIII like... do people think that would actually happen? If Iran really wants to continue to escalate they'll be guaranteeing their leadership will face the fate of Saddam and Gaddafi.
    The US screwed itself and the world, in Iraq. Absolutely bizarre to applaud an opportunity for the US to screw itself and the world even harder. Both monetary, human and geopolitical costs would be immense. Civilians—including American ones—are going to be in the line of fire. And for what? So tiny-dicked weaklings can feel a little vicarious machoness? Lmao, dudes really are the dumbest.

    That being said, I don't think this in of itself will lead to a war. Iran has been carefully and strategically escalating for a year, and the US response to recent actions in Iraq has been reasonably well calibrated. This latest move can help deter escalation for the time being. In addition to removing a capable military leader and undermining morale, it gives Iran much to consider wrt just how deeply US intelligence agencies may have penetrated their military & its affiliates.
    Last edited by Aimless; 01-03-2020 at 10:14 AM.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  5. #5
    Trump's wagging the dog.

  6. #6
    What a weak move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

    And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

  7. #7
    Thought this thread was going to be about some right wing fantasy about tax cuts stimulating economic growth, but instead it was a right wing fantasy about how a bunch people are going to get killed.

    Like, at least an economic boom is a good thing to aim for. Lewk you never fail to disappoint.
    Sticks and stones take a toll on me but they aren't your strongest weaponry
    You can take your shots but you'd best prepare, I can see smoke rising in the air
    Every move has a counteract, to turn the tides with a planned attack
    You push me down and the rest will rise but first I'm singing a battle cry

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Like, at least an economic boom is a good thing to aim for. Lewk you never fail to disappoint.
    His God Emperor fucked that up too
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  9. #9
    Sticks and stones take a toll on me but they aren't your strongest weaponry
    You can take your shots but you'd best prepare, I can see smoke rising in the air
    Every move has a counteract, to turn the tides with a planned attack
    You push me down and the rest will rise but first I'm singing a battle cry

  10. #10
    It's cosmically good that Soleimani is dead, but this seems like an unnecessary escalation and I'm not sure why it had to happen.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I'm not sure why it had to happen.
    They're trying to provoke Iran into doing something that they can then use to justify a war. Has been right from the start. We've been out of Iraq all of five minutes and Republicans are jonesing for another war in the middle east.
    Sticks and stones take a toll on me but they aren't your strongest weaponry
    You can take your shots but you'd best prepare, I can see smoke rising in the air
    Every move has a counteract, to turn the tides with a planned attack
    You push me down and the rest will rise but first I'm singing a battle cry

  12. #12
    Well, BOOM! THEN!
    Talk about tactical political failure/ or expectations fulfilled.

    Not that anything will change. :/
    Maybe it even was the required respone, but f*.

    I'm so damn tired of this human crap.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    They're trying to provoke Iran into doing something that they can then use to justify a war. Has been right from the start. We've been out of Iraq all of five minutes and Republicans are jonesing for another war in the middle east.
    No, mostly showing off capacity (technological/tactical precision - only a few nations on earth could do this right now) and eliminating the assumed next step in Iran Command structure.
    As well as showing of the capacity to act in relation to 2020 and brainwash. 3500 men, poorly trained, cannon foddder, doesn't mean much in the 2100 century.

    *sigh*
    Last edited by rille; 01-03-2020 at 11:41 PM.

  14. #14
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  15. #15
    BEST conspiracy theory

    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  16. #16
    ...then again, maybe this is just about a mad man having tactical access to things he need in order to not get forgotten in the political arena.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Predicable too, and I've been consistently down on Trump for his trade war bull shit.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    It's cosmically good that Soleimani is dead, but this seems like an unnecessary escalation and I'm not sure why it had to happen.
    He was a terrorist who planned events that lead to American deaths. Terrorists don't get to live simply because killing them is inconvenient.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    He was a terrorist who planned events that lead to American deaths. Terrorists don't get to live simply because killing them is inconvenient.
    And this is a great example of how transparently inept his camp is. The "imminent attack" excuse barely lasted a day before they realized it a stunk worse than Iraq's WMD. So now it's your standard foreign guy was bad guy response.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  20. #20
    This guy is such a fucking dumbass:

    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    This guy is such a fucking dumbass:

    Pfft. Iran has proven that they don't act in good faith. Fear of our retaliation is the only thing that will keep them in check.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Pfft. Iran has proven that they don't act in good faith. Fear of our retaliation is the only thing that will keep them in check.
    You've proven that you have your head stuck up your ass. What you're saying has no relevance to the legality of deliberately targeting sites & structures of great cultural significance due to their cultural significance. In addition, the stupid threat against such structures has close to zero impact on any trepidation Iran may feel, and will have zero success in keeping them in check. If you're gonna threaten to do illegal things to make an enemy afraid, you should threaten genocide, torture, mass rape and other atrocities—like Jesus and CS Lewis would've done.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    11,080
    There is a long list of reasons why killing Soleimani was legitimate. The only question is whether it was a wise thing to do. Hosseini was the driving force of Iranian empire building at the expense of its Arab neighbors. His responsibility for the death of thousands of innocent people is beyond dispute. He organized the state terrorism of Iran. His death will also not be mourned by those Iranians who suffer under the totalitarian regime he and his revultionary regime propped up.
    Last edited by Hazir; 01-05-2020 at 02:11 PM.
    Trump: Lock him up.

  24. #24
    Iranian Americans of all ages and backgrounds being detained and interrogated—or turned back—when trying to return to the US eg. from a concert. Actual numbers as yet unconfirmed. Pretty disgusting. Pretty pathetic.

    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  25. #25
    Here comes the boomer:

    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  26. #26
    I think Iranians have had trouble entering the US for quite some time due to the travel ban.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I think Iranians have had trouble entering the US for quite some time due to the travel ban.
    These reports and others suggest it suddenly got much worse after this order was given. Even for Iranian AMERICANS.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    And this is a great example of how transparently inept his camp is. The "imminent attack" excuse barely lasted a day before they realized it a stunk worse than Iraq's WMD. So now it's your standard foreign guy was bad guy response.
    Killing this bad guy won't make Iran change its ways, let alone "make Americans safe". Trump touts it that way on Twitter, and at campaign rallies, but it's delusional. He's escalated tensions in the ME, deployed more US troops, and created a martyr to boot. Happy fucking New Year.

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    11,080
    Popular Opinion in Syrian circles in Istanbul is that there very well might be a big war in the Middle East. Sort of unwanted but unavoidable now.
    Trump: Lock him up.

  30. #30
    Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the forests of the night
    Posts
    6,104
    Trevor Noah put it best, when confronted with the information that Trump was given a menu of option, with the assassination of Soleimani being the most extreme (and thus the one intended to make the others more reasonable):

    "This is where I don't blame Trump. Pentagon officials gave Trump a menu of options but then they were shocked when he chose the most extreme one? ... Get The Fuck Outta Here, Man! They were shocked - have you seen Trump's appartment? What part of his life makes you think he's ever gonna pick middle of the road options, huh? If you don't want Trump to pick something why have you given him the option in the first place?!?"



    4:27 for the relevant part.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •