Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 US Presidential election

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    She is the most Trump-like choice Biden could have made.
    Her name means "orange", but, other than that, she's not particularly Trump-like.

even Lewk is happy about this unfortunate choice. Seriously, this is worse than McCain's pick.
    Lewk is an actual moron. Using him as a benchmark is misguided.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Her name means "orange", but, other than that, she's not particularly Trump-like.
    Let me start a comparison for another unknowing foreigner,

Pretentious
    Unapologetic
    Narcissistic
    Prevaricator

Lewk is an actual moron. Using him as a benchmark is misguided.
    Pretty sure most Trump Republicans are cheering this choice.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Pretentious
    Unapologetic
    Narcissistic
    Prevaricator
    Bullshit.

It's not about me being a foreigner, it's about you being a bullshitter—by the standards of your own electorate.

Pretentious
    Unapologetic
    Narcissistic
    Prevaricator
    Bullshit.

It's not about me being a foreigner, it's about you being a bullshitter—by the standards of your own electorate.

I don't believe bullshitter correctly explains the scorn I express.

Please substantiate your scorn. Everyone rational I've seen has said it's a good choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Why rely on anyone else to guide your decisions. Watch as many interview videos as you can find and make up your own mind.

She seems able to string a coherent sentence together which puts her ahead of Trump, Pence and arguably Biden too.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

RB, Being's hyperbole aside, it's certainly true that Harris is a flawed albeit obvious choice. She has quite of bit of baggage from her time as a prosecutor and attorney general, and her time in the Senate was marked by more grandstanding for the cameras than solid policymaking. She is an adequate but hardly exceptional campaigner.

I don't think she was a bad choice, but I think she's not a fantastic one either. The issue is that many of the other choices were equally bad: if you're looking for a woman of color (woman because Biden already committed to it, of color because of the current racial unrest that Trump has handled so poorly), there are only a few prominent options: Susan Rice, Karen Bass, and Stacey Abrams being the biggest ones (I'm not going to mention Demings or Lance Bottoms because frankly they were unlikely options to start with). Rice is problematic because of her time in the Obama administration (don't think for a moment they wouldn't trot out Benghazi again, among other missteps) and because she is frankly not a politician and has no campaigning experience. Bass isn't a bad choice temperamentally but she just doesn't have a national profile and her civil rights associations might be ammunition for opponents (as opposed to Harris, who is of color but can be spun as a 'law and order' candidate, for better or worse). Abrams is pretty inexperienced from either a federal or executive position, and losing a gubernatorial election - albeit in style - is not exactly a sterling qualification.

Harris isn't a slam dunk, but she's a reasonably safe and not awful choice. It's hard to be too excited about her, but to be honest you could say the same about the top of the ticket. But I would be hard pressed to think she would cause the same kind of damage to the ticket that e.g. Palin did to McCain.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

The thing about Harris is that she's hard to peg to a single demographic, so all the different insults from the right just jumble together and lose any meaning. Which is important when your going up against the current GOP and their propaganda arm. Trump and his wifes previous donations to her campaigns add that extra level of haha too.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 08-12-2020 at 05:17 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post

I don't think she was a bad choice, but I think she's not a fantastic one either. The issue is that many of the other choices were equally bad: if you're looking for a woman of color (woman because Biden already committed to it, of color because of the current racial unrest that Trump has handled so poorly)
    I find it amusing that you think black voters will ignore her record on not prosecuting cops, on aggressively going after small time drug offenses and trying to suppress evidence of innocence of someone on death row... simply because she is a POC. Not saying you are wrong - just that I find it amusing.

Harris will not muster much more black vote than what Biden would get on his own. She is asian.

Harris will not muster much more black vote than what Biden would get on his own. She is asian.
    I'm not sure that you get to decide who is and is not black.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

I'm not deciding. Ethnic heritage comes from your mother.

Being, just please shut up. You can disagree with the choice all you want, but you're being a dumbass now.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I... I honestly don't even know what to say.

Being, just please shut up. You can disagree with the choice all you want, but you're being a dumbass now.
    I am not being a dumbass and I thought you disliked science deniers.

Interdisciplinary approach to the demography of Jamaica

I don't believe bullshitter correctly explains the scorn I express.
    It's bullshit because Harris isn't meaningfully like Trump. You listed a number of arguable descriptors that describe a generic high-profile legislator plus one that is unsubstantiated hyperbole (the case for Trump's pathological narcissism is much, much, much stronger; Harris's, not even a little, even if you're being generous). I understand you're disappointed in the decision, and that it makes you angry, but the criticism you've leveled at her is plainly ridiculous. You can easily find other real and meaningful things to criticize about Harris's record.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I find it amusing that you think black voters will ignore her record on not prosecuting cops, on aggressively going after small time drug offenses and trying to suppress evidence of innocence of someone on death row... simply because she is a POC. Not saying you are wrong - just that I find it amusing.
    If you believe choosing Harris as VP is going to stop a substantial number of black voters from voting for Biden in order to get Trump kicked out, you're an even greater dumbass than I thought—and I already thought of you as one of the dumbest people I've ever had the misfortune of having to engage. They might be critical of her—some likely will—but they'll vote for Biden/Harris nevertheless, if for no other reason than that their antipathy towards Trump—the dumbest, most incompetent and most destructive racist POTUS in living memory—is far, far stronger than any negative feelings they may have towards Harris.

This is an extremely stupid argument in defense of an uncommonly derpy claim. The article you linked to does not say what you believe it says.

This is an extremely stupid argument in defense of an uncommonly derpy claim. The article you linked to does not say what you believe it says.
    Which means you were lazy and read only the abstract.

So Barack Obama is white? Oookaaayyy

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    So Barack Obama is white? Oookaaayyy
    I have never said that. What I have said often is that Obama is not black, he is mulatto.

I have a PhD in a biomedical discipline. I read this paper in its entirety. I have no understanding of why you think this supports your contention that 'ethnic heritage comes from your mother'.

I have never said that. What I have said often is that Obama is not black, he is mulatto.
    A term the dictionary defines as dated and offensive. I know because I just Googled it as it's a term nobody uses.

But you said heritage comes from the mother. His mother's heritage is white so I'm guessing so is Obama's according to you?

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    I have a PhD in a biomedical discipline. I read this paper in its entirety. I have no understanding of why you think this supports your contention that 'ethnic heritage comes from your mother'.
    The study is matrilineal and based on this Harris would fall in haplogroup A2, B2 or D4. Asian not African.

Which means you were lazy and read only the abstract.
    My guess is you, being sloppy, thought that, just because you can use mitochondrial DNA to trace a person's matrilineal descent, that means ethnicity is defined by the mother. That is not the case. It is a very useful method for studying many aspects of human history—eg. migration, or relationships between communities—but it does not define ethnicity as being conferred by one's mother. Firstly, it does not logically follow. Secondly, you have not made a compelling argument for ethnicity being purely biological—let alone defined by mitochondrial DNA. Thirdly, you can perform similar research using other parts of our genome, including Y chromosome haplogroups.

If you believe choosing Harris as VP is going to stop a substantial number of black voters from voting for Biden in order to get Trump kicked out, you're an even greater dumbass than I thought—and I already thought of you as one of the dumbest people I've ever had the misfortune of having to engage. They might be critical of her—some likely will—but they'll vote for Biden/Harris nevertheless, if for no other reason than that their antipathy towards Trump—the dumbest, most incompetent and most destructive racist POTUS in living memory—is far, far stronger than any negative feelings they may have towards Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    A term the dictionary defines as dated and offensive. I know because I just Googled it as it's a term nobody uses.

But you said heritage comes from the mother. His mother's heritage is white so I'm guessing so is Obama's according to you?
    Obama is not black. Do you consider Elizabeth Warren to be American Indian?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    You find it amusing because you're thick. 1. Many black voters will ignore many aspects of her record not because of her identity but because voters tend to ignore many aspects of a candidate's record. 2. Almost no black voters—including those who deeply disapprove of her record on the issues you mention—will let that sway them from voting for Biden, against Trump—because they believe replacing Trump with Biden is more important. That is not the definition of "ignore", except from the perspective of a dullard who can only hold one thought in his head at a time, on any given issue—and that just barely. Those who know about her record and care about it will nevertheless vote for Biden, even as they criticize her. That would've been the case even if she'd been white—or orange or purple.

My guess is you, being sloppy, thought that, just because you can use mitochondrial DNA to trace a person's matrilineal descent, that means ethnicity is defined by the mother. That is not the case. It is a very useful method for studying many aspects of human history—eg. migration, or relationships between communities—but it does not define ethnicity as being conferred by one's mother. Firstly, it does not logically follow. Secondly, you have not made a compelling argument for ethnicity being purely biological—let alone defined by mitochondrial DNA. Thirdly, you can perform similar research using other parts of our genome, including Y chromosome haplogroups.
    I always confuse race with ethnicity.