Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 US Presidential election

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Obama is not black. Do you consider Elizabeth Warren to be American Indian?
    Yes he is and no she's not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    ...Those who know about her record and care about it will nevertheless vote for Biden, even as they criticize her. That would've been the case even if she'd been white—or orange or purple.
    That is similar to the unfortunate position I find myself in.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Yes he is and no she's not.
    So what makes the difference in your mind?

So what makes the difference in your mind?
    The same as anyone. It is a myth to consider races or ethnicities to be homogenous in the first place, but I can see (quite literally) that Obama is black through a few means - my eyes being one of them. No such evidence appears for Warren. But if you follow your matrilineal ancestry claim you spout bullshit about then Obama is quite simply white. Not mixed, not black but just simply white.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I always confuse race with ethnicity.
    ... okay, but you'd still be wrong, so I'm not sure you really want to go with that defense.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

... okay, but you'd still be wrong, so I'm not sure you really want to go with that defense.
    It's biblical law.

It's biblical law.
    I hear your plea for a chance to save face and have graciously chosen to accommodate you just this once, because life is good.

The same as anyone. It is a myth to consider races or ethnicities to be homogenous in the first place, but I can see (quite literally) that Obama is black through a few means - my eyes being one of them. No such evidence appears for Warren. But if you follow your matrilineal ancestry claim you spout bullshit about then Obama is quite simply white. Not mixed, not black but just simply white.
    So you visually profile. How does that work with distinguishing an American Indian from a Latin American?

I hear your plea for a chance to save face and have graciously chosen to accommodate you just this once, because life is good.
    No no no. Rake me over the coals. Show me how I am wrong. Rolling eyes don't count.

It's biblical law.
    You want to bring the Bible into this? Go to Church, it has nothing to do with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I find it amusing that you think black voters will ignore her record on not prosecuting cops, on aggressively going after small time drug offenses and trying to suppress evidence of innocence of someone on death row... simply because she is a POC. Not saying you are wrong - just that I find it amusing.
    Personally I can't stand Harris. And her behavior as a prosecutor and AG here in California are the main reasons why (I pretty much ignored her in the Senate. Because A) I already didn't like her and B) as pointed out she didn't really do anything substantive). It should be noted that it was also all absolutely ordinary for anyone who rose in politics along the prosecutorial track (see Klobuchar) which is why I pretty much hate that entire path in US politics and the politicians who followed it. I'll still vote for her because the other choice is Trump. At least Harris hasn't been busy perverting the criminal process to get away with her OWN crime-spree.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Personally I can't stand Harris. And her behavior as a prosecutor and AG here in California are the main reasons why (I pretty much ignored her in the Senate. Because A) I already didn't like her and B) as pointed out she didn't really do anything substantive). It should be noted that it was also all absolutely ordinary for anyone who rose in politics along the prosecutorial track (see Klobuchar) which is why I pretty much hate that entire path in US politics and the politicians who followed it. I'll still vote for her because the other choice is Trump. At least Harris hasn't been busy perverting the criminal process to get away with her OWN crime-spree.
    You know there is more than two choices right? You don't even live in a swing state, feel free to vote your conscious.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    You know there is more than two choices right? You don't even live in a swing state, feel free to vote your conscious.
    And get four more years of slide towards fascism?
    Congratulations America

Does a running mate really make much difference to the eventual vote?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Does a running mate really make much difference to the eventual vote?
    In a close election it can do. In a blow out election its probably unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    And get four more years of slide towards fascism?
    In America your vote for the president only matters if you are in a swing state. Fuzzy choosing not to vote or vote for 3P will have 0 impact.

You want to bring the Bible into this? Go to Church, it has nothing to do with this.
    Uh, you have nothing to do with this (election) yet here you are. And since you are here how about you tell us more about visual profiling.

Biden just lost my vote.

What a fucking idiot.
    Seriously? You'd rather not vote, or vote third party, because you don't like Harris and/or Biden's choice? They're just not perfect enough....but you're willing to gamble on four more years of Trumpism?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    ...but you're willing to gamble on four more years of Trumpism?
    No gamble. Check my location.

Uh, you have nothing to do with this (election) yet here you are. And since you are here how about you tell us more about visual profiling.
    Black is a colour, white is a colour. His mother is white, but the colour of Barack Obama is not white. Since you claimed insanely that ethnicity comes from the mother alone then is Obama white like his mother? Yes or no?

Or is ethnicity maybe more complex than simply the mother?

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

No gamble. Check my location.
    You're saying *you* can afford to "vote your conscience"....because California writ large will make the "better decision", no matter how *you* vote as an individual?

Right, like that worked out so well in 2016 when Trump got elected in the first place.

You're saying *you* can afford to "vote your conscience"....because California writ large will make the "better decision", no matter how *you* vote as an individual?

Right, like that worked out so well in 2016 when Trump got elected in the first place.
    Every California liberal who disliked Hillary and didn't vote her was absolutely correct in their reasoning that California would go for her even without their vote.

Clinton won California. My vote won't help cowboy states unless I move there. Harris is vile and I cannot support her. Maybe we should vote for VP separately.

I was inferring to problems with the Electoral College and gerrymandered districts....so that even "liberals" can be persuaded that their vote doesn't matter.

Clinton won California. My vote won't help cowboy states unless I move there. Harris is vile and I cannot support her. Maybe we should vote for VP separately.
    It doesn't work that way. Stop acting like a stupid Republican in order to feel like a smart Democrat.

The 2020 election is a clear choice between Trump or Biden. Pick one, but don't pretend that not choosing Biden is anything but a vote FOR Trump.

I live in one of the most Republican (cowboy) districts in the state. That's why this idiot keeps getting elected here. I do what I can but I'm out voted. I could move a few blocks north and be in a different district.

What's your point? I also live in a Republican (cowboy) district that's considered part of a Democrat leaning state.

edit: I could move a few miles south and be voting in Maryland. But that wouldn't change my vote for POTUS. I'd rather have an imperfect candidate like Biden, than vote for a fascist like Trump.

PA isn't as big as CA, and we don't have as many electoral college votes, but we still matter in the big picture.
    Last edited by GGT; 08-13-2020 at 09:26 PM.

Even my libertarian-leaning son (remember those Ron Paul Revolution debates we had years ago?) knows that NOT voting for Biden means voting FOR Trump, by default. He doesn't like Biden or Harris. But he's seen the destruction Trumpism has caused, and doesn't want to see another 4 years of racist, sexist, classist fascism, either.

When the covid pandemic hit, he reminded me that Libertarians traditionally drew the line about government power at infectious diseases. Seeing how Republicans have dealt with this health crisis made it clear that they didn't really care about liberty or freeeeedom, but political power. Fascists are good at exploiting our two party political system.

Short of re-hashing the history of Saint Reagan, the Republican Party, the onset of the Tea Party, or the Ron Paul Libertarian 'revolution'....I am hopeful that a majority of voters have been liberated from the *propaganda* that has dominated our elections for decades, but can still see how their vote matters.

Being included.