Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 US Presidential election

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post

Being included.
    Trump is merely emblematic to the actual problem corrupting USA politics. Voting for the Democratic ticket is not a vote for ending the two party system.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Trump is merely emblematic to the actual problem corrupting USA politics. Voting for the Democratic ticket is not a vote for ending the two party system.
    Of course. But not voting, or voting for a 3rd party candidate won't change those dynamics, anyway. All that does is split the vote, and allow Republikans to retain control of the senate, where Mitch McConnell can achieve his life's wet dream of stacking courts with "conservative" judges.

Is that what you want?

...or voting for a 3rd party candidate won't change those dynamics, anyway.
    Nothing is done by not starting.

Nothing is done by not starting.
    What's that supposed to mean? In case you hadn't noticed, third party candidates haven't managed to break the monopoly of our two party system for decades. They just act like spoilers. What makes you believe otherwise?

ps, Hope isn't a real strategy. Even our hippie generation knows that.

What's that supposed to mean?
    Someday enough people will be fed up with this situation to change it.

Someday enough people will be fed up with this situation to change it.
    Haha, we've heard that our entire lives, fellow hippie/boomer. Might as well say that prayer works, or that electing a president who believes in "the power of positive thinking" can change things. That's Magical Thinking.

There are millions of people fed up with our situation, and want to change it from the inside out, from top to bottom; but change is slow, frustrating, and paradoxical.

I have a hard time believing understanding why you won't vote for Biden/Harris when Trump/Pence is a *real* possibility.

Since Trump/Pence IS a real possibility the main focus for Democrats should be on the Senate. Taking the Senate would (somewhat) neuter Trump/Pence. Taking the Presidency actually imperials Democrat's ability to take the Senate. There is an active movement in CA to remove the Governor's privilege of appointing a replacement for Harris' seat and forcing a special election.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Here is a companion video,

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    You know there is more than two choices right? You don't even live in a swing state, feel free to vote your conscious.
    I am voting my conscious. I intend to actively campaign for Harris. Because what my conscience says is that the best way to keep another Trump from happening in the future is to make the opposing ticket have as sweeping a landslide victory as possible. To use a metaphor that I know resonates with you, my conscience dictates that the Republican Party be PUNISHED so as to deter them from doing something like this again. Going third-party doesn't do that.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I live in one of the most Republican (cowboy) districts in the state. That's why this idiot keeps getting elected here. I do what I can but I'm out voted. I could move a few blocks north and be in a different district.
    Huh. I actually thought you were in Nunes' district.

Neither is voting third-party for President, at this juncture. Vote third-party for House and you're getting closer (of course you're also indirectly voting to reelect Tom by doing so)
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Huh. I actually thought you were in Nunes' district.
    Literally a few blocks away from another district. Country blocks not city blocks.

edit: Wait, you are in 22. I'm way north.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    The Founders thought the post office important enough to include it in the Constitution as one of Congress’s enumerated powers.
    Unfortunately Congress also has the power to let the President do what he wants to do, even if it's illegal.

America's robust system of checks and balances will spring into action at any moment. You'll see.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    America's robust system of checks and balances will spring into action at any moment. You'll see.
    I feel your response is tougne-in-cheek. But in all seriousness why aren't states pushing for earlier mail-in voting to counteract Trump's slowing down the mail service? States that expect large numbers of mail-in ballots should get them out now and start accepting them now. It seems to be a quicker and more probable solution to Trump's interference than relying on Congress or the courts.

I feel your response is tougne-in-cheek. But in all seriousness why aren't states pushing for earlier mail-in voting to counteract Trump's slowing down the mail service? States that expect large numbers of mail-in ballots should get them out now and start accepting them now. It seems to be a quicker and more probable solution to Trump's interference than relying on Congress or the courts.
    Completely absurd. You are suggesting the mailing of live ballots to everyone? How about no. Ultimately Fauci has stated traditional voting is absolutely fine, wear a mask and don't bunch up. Its getting harder and harder to mask the desire to allow ballot harvesting and other shenanigans as the reason to change the voting process.

In California our mail-in ballots will begin being mailed to ALL registered voters October 5th and processing begins the same day.

https://elections.cdn.sos.ca.gov//st...l-calendar.pdf

10/5/20
    56. ALL COUNTIES MAIL EVERY ACTIVE REGISTERED VOTER A VOTE-BY-MAIL BALLOT AND PACKET
    For this election, every active registered voter will be mailed a vote-by-mail ballot. No later than this date, county elections officials shall begin mailing each registered voter a vote-by-mail ballot, a vote-by-mail packet that includes an envelope with instructions on the use and return of the vote-by-mail ballot, and other information including the locations and hours of each vote center in the county or polling place. County elections officials shall have five days to mail a ballot to each person who had requested a vote-by-mail ballot by this date and five days for each voter who requests a vote-by-mail ballot after this date.

10/5/20
    57. COMPUTER PROCESSING OF VOTE-BY-MAIL BALLOTS
    Counties having the necessary computer capability may start to process vote-by-mail ballots on the 29th day before the election. Processing vote-by-mail ballots includes opening vote by mail ballot return envelopes, removing ballots, duplicating any damaged ballots, and preparing the ballots to be machine read, or machine reading them, including processing write-in votes so that they can be tallied by the machine, but under no circumstances may a vote count be accessed or released until 8 p.m. on the day of the election. All other county elections officials shall start to process vote-by-mail ballots at 5:00 p.m. on the day before the election, the results of which shall not be released until 8:00 p.m. on November 3, 2020 (E).

Literally a few blocks away from another district. Country blocks not city blocks.

edit: Wait, you are in 22. I'm way north.
    I'm not in 22. I'm close enough to 22 that I occasionally hear Nunes ads on the radio, but still more than a district away from him. I could have sworn you'd said in the past that you were in the southern SJV. But now it sounds like you're saying you're in the north-central foothills. Tuolomne County, maybe even Calaveras. . .

edit: oh yeah. Because you were working down in Kings for a while, sometime back. I keep remembering that and forgetting it was only for a while.
    Last edited by LittleFuzzy; 08-15-2020 at 05:25 AM.

I'm not in 22. I'm close enough to 22 that I occasionally hear Nunes ads on the radio, but still more than a district away from him. I could have sworn you'd said in the past that you were in the southern SJV. But now it sounds like you're saying you're in the north-central foothills. Tuolomne County, maybe even Calaveras. . .

edit: oh yeah. Because you were working down in Kings for a while, sometime back. I keep forgetting that you're actually up in the Sac Valley
    It was near Kettleman City. I did a few months work there. I'm in the sliver of Placer County that's in McClintock's district.

All right, let's get imaginative. In what ways will the looming mass-eviction crisis impact the election? Can it make it much more difficult for people to vote?

All right, let's get imaginative. In what ways will the looming mass-eviction crisis impact the election? Can it make it much more difficult for people to vote?
    It won't make it more difficult for me.

edit: reminder to self, put glasses on before responding to posts.
    Last edited by Being; 08-15-2020 at 03:16 PM.

No residence, no assigned polling place. No mail-delivery point, no absentee ballot.

No residence, no assigned polling place. No mail-delivery point, no absentee ballot.
    Yes. Persons experiencing homelessness can register and vote in all 50 states.

How to register to vote if you are homeless

The goings on in Belarus make me wonder how US citizens will react to the reelection of Trump.

This election in one jpeg

Click to view the full version
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

You act as though most everyone is as sensible as you. Take a look around.

Lately Being, you're all the example we need.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."