Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1140

Thread: 2020 US Presidential election

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Yikes, this is such a gong show. Par for the course.

I read a transcript. I hate being fair to him but the press themselves had already moved on from the ceremony and onto the election.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Was that before or after he compared his record to his election 'win'?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

it was a while after. But Trump's a narcsissist. Him gassing on about himself is or ought to be white noise at this point, to him and to everyone else. The question preceding the one where he walked off was about Giuliani, too. Utterly irrelevant to what should have been the topic at hand. I want to see the press NOT feed Trump. If he's going to gas on about himself, keep questions focused on the guy getting the medal. The one they're all ostensibly there for in the first place. Just because Trump won't stop talking about himself doesn't mean the press needs to make him the subject too.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Maybe we should require everyone to take a class in stats.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Target audience: Quadrillion! That sounds bigly!
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Maybe we should require everyone to take a class in stats.
    That wouldn't be a bad idea for politicians and journalists for starters.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    A 4-4 tie on the Court would be pretty awkward. To prevent a connotational crisis we must put someone on the court now!
    How about now? Crisis averted? Everyone agrees Biden won. Everyone agrees democracy won.

And we can move on, right?
    Last edited by Ziggy Stardust; 12-12-2020 at 11:41 AM.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

“This lawsuit, Mr Troupis, smacks of racism,” Justice Jill Karofsky told Mr Trump’s lawyer, Jim Troupis. “I do not know how you can come before this court and possibly ask for a remedy that is unheard of in US history."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1771342.html

Today is the day the Electoral College casts its votes. I've been waiting to see if any state has Trumpuppets who will go rogue, and defy their state laws (faithless electors).

Even if today pans out "normally".....congressional shenanigans in January are expected.

Even if that does nothing but slow down the process.....it still means our democracy is fragile and at risk for tyranny/authoritarian rule.

Something is very wrong, and I want to hear what scholars/academics (like Loki) think about our constitutional flaws and vulnerabilities.

Are my worries about the *process* valid or paranoid?
    Last edited by GGT; 12-14-2020 at 05:09 PM.

Here's a good legal explanation of the texas suit to overturn other states elections and install a dictatorship.

Trump pardons Blackwater contractors jailed for massacre of Iraq civilians

Four guards fired on unarmed crowd in Baghdad in 2007, killing 14 and sparking outrage over use of private security in war zones

Donald Trump has pardoned four security guards from the private military firm Blackwater who were serving jail sentences for killing 14 civilians including two children in Baghdad in 2007, a massacre that sparked an international outcry over the use of mercenaries in war.

The four guards – Paul Slough, Evan Liberty, Dustin Heard and Nicholas Slatten – were part of an armoured convoy that opened fire indiscriminately with machine-guns, grenade launchers and a sniper on a crowd of unarmed people in a square in the Iraqi capital.

The Nisour Square massacre was one of the lowest episodes of the US-led invasion and occupation of Iraq.

Slough, Liberty and Heard were convicted on multiple charges of voluntary and attempted manslaughter in 2014, while Slatten, who was the first to start shooting, was convicted of first-degree murder. Slattern was sentenced to life and the others to 30 years in prison each.

An initial prosecution was thrown out by a federal judge – sparking outrage in Iraq – but the then vice-president, Joe Biden, promised to pursue a fresh prosecution, which succeeded in 2015.

At the sentencing, the US attorney’s office said in a statement: “The sheer amount of unnecessary human loss and suffering attributable to the defendants’ criminal conduct on 16 September 2007 is staggering.”
    WTF is this all about?

Given that it was Biden as VP in 2015 who successfully saw through the prosecution of these murderers, is this a fuck you to him from Trump?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I doubt this was aimed at Biden but rather his own base. Trump has a history of overlooking war crimes and murders perpetrated by US troops and their proxies, instead calling them heroes... While simultaneously denigrating POWs, gold star families, etc. if they have the temerity to disagree with him. It's a common pattern.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    WTF is this all about?

Given that it was Biden as VP in 2015 who successfully saw through the prosecution of these murderers, is this a fuck you to him from Trump?
    Trump is using his final month in office to put together a team of useful people who'll owe him.

There has to be some sort of connection between trump and that family. He let them destory the education department and gave a pass to blackwater? christ.

Thats why he threw a pretend fit about the stimulus, to distract from pardoning the war criminals. Glad the dems called his bluff and already have the $2000 check legislation ready to go.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Trump is using his final month in office to put together a team of useful people who'll owe him.

Like he thought that SCOTUS would owe him?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Like he thought that SCOTUS would owe him?
    SCOTUS is different. These guys are criminals who'll owe their freedom to Trump and possibly their livelihood to Trump, with no real competing allegiances.

But he will also have nothing further to offer them. Gratitude only goes so far once there's nothing left to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    But he will also have nothing further to offer them. Gratitude only goes so far once there's nothing left to offer.
    He'll be able to offer several of them employment, and some of them access to his network of contacts. He had nothing left to offer ACB, but a bunch of racist murderers and comically incompetent grifters? They can do with the help. And they can help.

Chilling thought.

The dumbest members of Congress are from Texas:

Today's Republican Party is....a corrupt cult. Since we only have two major political parties, and one is the GOP that won't stand up against anti-democratic shenanigans, we are like the Banana Republics or Failed States we used to criticize.

USA #1 in Denial, Projection, and Propaganda!

Sorry, I'm a little late. The four pardoned war criminals worked for Blackwater. The owner of Blackwater is Betsy Devos' brother, Eric Prince. Prince is part of the group that was trying to set up a back channel to Putin.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Today's Republican Party is....a corrupt cult. Since we only have two major political parties, and one is the GOP that won't stand up against anti-democratic shenanigans, we are like the Banana Republics or Failed States we used to criticize.

USA #1 in Denial, Projection, and Propaganda!

Concur.

The Banana Republic mindset/claim is commonly used here as well.
    Take some distance and compare before settling it.

Imo, I think we are closing in on a new period in history where the kids of the old labour force
    are starting to get more educated than the ruling class and this is going to result in...
    ...something new, I hope.

...or it’s just they way it is and I’m still too young and naive. :P
    (I have a proven disability to plainly follow others)