Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 US Presidential election

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    It's not within his control to address any(?) concerns he has with postal voting?
    His *actual* concern with postal voting is that, on balance, many Democrats will use it who would not otherwise vote. Republicans have been working very hard over the last 20 years or so to make it harder to vote, especially for demographics that vote for Democrats. Mail in voting means more votes for Trump's opponent, so he attacks it, completing making up the story about widespread fraud. That's all he cares about. Period.

Likely he's also setting up for a gambit to refuse to accept the election results and steal another term. I think its almost a guarantee that he will try - no idea what happens when he does.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Sounds like a complete clusterfuck is on its way.

November's gonna be wild.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Please enjoy this perfectly aged bottle of whine:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...d-know-better/
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

We were always at war with Eastasia Germany.

Not content with rewriting history of the last few years, America's government is now inventing wars in the 1980s. I don't remember there being a war in Germany in the 1980s, but apparently Mike Pompeo fought there.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...n-live-updates
    “This is personal for me. I fought on the border of East Germany when I was a young soldier I was stationed there.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Every GOP legislator today:

Can someone confirm that, when not re-elected, Trump will cease to be POTUS on the 21st of January, 2021?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Can someone confirm that, when not re-elected, Trump will cease to be POTUS on the 21st of January, 2021?
    20th I thought?

Inauguration Day is locked in stone and Congress can't change it. It's set by the 20th Amendment so it would need a constitutional amendment to change it.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Its not in the DoJ's purview.

I wish we had new style emojis in this site rather than vBulletin's ones. Need the facepalm one for everything this administration says.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Its not in the DoJ's purview.
    Are YOU a Harvard-trained law-genius?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Are YOU a Harvard-trained law-genius?
    To make the determination? He's right, it's not. That's up to the state (in some cases county) boards and the courts. The timing is written into the Constitution. The state/county boards are the ones doing the actual implementing so the actual decision-making is theirs*, and the only ones that can actually overrule them are the courts. The Justice Dept. can try and convince the courts to do so. But so can private citizens.

*depending on how things are set up they may be under the governor's orders directly or they may be semi-independent offices in which case changes have to be a matter of correctly implemented changes in state law or state constitutions
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    To make the determination? He's right, it's not. That's up to the state (in some cases county) boards and the courts. The timing is written into the Constitution. The state/county boards are the ones doing the actual implementing so the actual decision-making is theirs*, and the only ones that can actually overrule them are the courts. The Justice Dept. can try and convince the courts to do so. But so can private citizens.

*depending on how things are set up they may be under the governor's orders directly or they may be semi-independent offices in which case changes have to be a matter of correctly implemented changes in state law or state constitutions
    You realize, of course, that I was joking.

You realize, of course, that I was joking.
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2...odax-imperiate
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I am not.

There is actually precedence for the election result not being accepted because of alleged fraud. Specifically the Democrat got more votes but both parties claimed they had won enough states to cloud the result but the Republican was eventually accepted as having been elected. Of course this was when the Democrats were the racist party and the Republicans weren't.

The compromise of 1877 was the result.

I think technically they get certified separately but am not sure.

What happened in 1877?

It is unbelievable what a spectacularly sad, pathetic loser the "leader" of the "free world" is:

I literally just came to this thread to post that video myself. Jawdroppingly shocking even by his standards. WTAF!?

I literally just came to this thread to post that video myself. Jawdroppingly shocking even by his standards. WTAF!?
    You're just mad because he comprehends extraordinarily well, probably better than anyone who's been interviewed in a long time.

You're just mad because he comprehends extraordinarily well, probably better than anyone who's been interviewed in a long time.
    That video just ruined my lunch. I feel sick.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Should let Trump keep talking, so that there can be no doubts about the extent of American conservatives' self-debasement.

Might have to revise my opinion of The Lincoln Project:

Trump is a conservative? Is he anything besides Trump?

The Lincoln Project represents the best of America's conservative movement. A flickering flame of light amongst the darkness. Any decent conservative must vote Democrat this November, then hopefully like a phoenix from the ashes of what Trump has done to the GOP might be rebuilt a decent party that existed in the past.

The Lincoln Project represents the best of America's conservative movement. A flickering flame of light amongst the darkness. Any decent conservative must vote Democrat this November, then hopefully like a phoenix from the ashes of what Trump has done to the GOP might be rebuilt a decent party that existed in the past.
    Those guys created a system and ran a strategy that led directly to allowing Donald Trump to be elected president and take their party from them. The very least they can do is help take him out, after that they should all fuck off.
    The Rules

Most of those people were far from the halls of power before Trump.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Most of those people were far from the halls of power before Trump.
    Most of them are Bush era Republican strategists and political consultants, or have otherwise spent most of their careers as part of the Republican party machine so I'd say choobs take is pretty spot on.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Remember when "It's the economy, stupid!" became the most prescient political meme?

Well, now "It's the virus, stupid!"

edit: I'd like to know how Trump's political advisors (and the GOP) can say expanded unemployment benefits "incentivizes" people to NOT work, when there are no jobs to replace the jobs they've lost. It's nothing but a meaningless trope. And it's crazy hypocrisy coming from the party that championed "Trickle Down Economics" when it benefited the corporate and political class.....but can't see the damage that's done 'downstream' to the working class.

Maybe they just hate blue collar workers, women, elderly, minorities, immigrants, and/or the working poor...and see them as sucking off the teet of gummint? If people can't pull themselves up by their own bootstraps, they're just lazy good-for-nothings looking for a hand-out.

Or Give me Liberty or Give me covid...don't tell us what to do, we have the RIGHT to be selfish assholes. Freeeedom means not caring about others but still saying we're Pro-Life! We'll vote for Trump even tho he's a liar and grifter, destroying the Republic, he's just the Authoritarian we were looking for?!
    Last edited by GGT; 08-04-2020 at 12:32 AM.

Trump literally acting like the Mafia now. WTF?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53633315