Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 US Presidential election

People should pay more attention to what's happening with the USPS and mail-in voting! grrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

What's the difference with absentee voting?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    That's incredible. Surely only a tiny % of Americans will fall for this............right?

He's making excuses for his impending re-election failure already?

If not, then he will be calling his own re-election the most INACCURATE & FRAUDULENT Election (sic) in history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

RIP Herman Cain.

Caught COVID at Trump's Tulsa rally. Died in hospital due to COVID.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post

If not, then he will be calling his own re-election the most INACCURATE & FRAUDULENT Election (sic) in history.
    It's mind boggling.

Also, if the system hasn't changed on his watch then surely the same applies to the 2016 election. But if the system has changed it happened on his watch.

Surely somebody explained all this to him before he had quite possibly his most monumental brain fart yet.

Its changed on his watch but not under his control. Because of COVID19 record amounts of people are registering to vote with postal ballots, despite the GOP wanting to restrict postal ballots and suppress voting.

He's getting his excuses in early. He knows he's going to lose.

It's not within his control to address any(?) concerns he has with postal voting?

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    It's not within his control to address any(?) concerns he has with postal voting?
    His *actual* concern with postal voting is that, on balance, many Democrats will use it who would not otherwise vote. Republicans have been working very hard over the last 20 years or so to make it harder to vote, especially for demographics that vote for Democrats. Mail in voting means more votes for Trump's opponent, so he attacks it, completing making up the story about widespread fraud. That's all he cares about. Period.

Likely he's also setting up for a gambit to refuse to accept the election results and steal another term. I think its almost a guarantee that he will try - no idea what happens when he does.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Sounds like a complete clusterfuck is on its way.

November's gonna be wild.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Please enjoy this perfectly aged bottle of whine:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...d-know-better/
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post

Trumpist politics is very asymmetrical. The strategy he's using will undermine an upcoming Biden presidency, but will have no impact on Trump if he gets a second term. There will be a lot of "Twitter? I don't even know what that IS! Nobody knows what Twitter is!" in Congress today.

We were always at war with Eastasia Germany.

Not content with rewriting history of the last few years, America's government is now inventing wars in the 1980s. I don't remember there being a war in Germany in the 1980s, but apparently Mike Pompeo fought there.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...n-live-updates
    “This is personal for me. I fought on the border of East Germany when I was a young soldier I was stationed there.”

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    What's the difference with absentee voting?
    The GOP is convinced the Dems will use it for fraud that the GOP can't catch. And they KNOW that it bypasses most-to-all of their vote-suppression efforts.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Every GOP legislator today:

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    The GOP is convinced the Dems will use it for fraud that the GOP can't catch. And they KNOW that it bypasses most-to-all of their vote-suppression efforts.
    There is already a process in place for absentee voting. What the admin is wanting to prevent is mass mailing of ballots to everyone.

Can someone confirm that, when not re-elected, Trump will cease to be POTUS on the 21st of January, 2021?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    There is already a process in place for absentee voting. What the admin is wanting to prevent is mass mailing of ballots to everyone.
    There is no excuse for trying to prevent that, given the pandemic. You're not making the admin look better, you're making it look worse. And you're ofc also conveniently sidestepping the fact that what the admin really did was try to build pressure to postpone the election, and is now busy undermining the USPS in order to obstruct voters.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Can someone confirm that, when not re-elected, Trump will cease to be POTUS on the 21st of January, 2021?
    20th I thought?

Inauguration Day is locked in stone and Congress can't change it. It's set by the 20th Amendment so it would need a constitutional amendment to change it.

Its not in the DoJ's purview.

I wish we had new style emojis in this site rather than vBulletin's ones. Need the facepalm one for everything this administration says.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Its not in the DoJ's purview.
    Are YOU a Harvard-trained law-genius?

I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Are YOU a Harvard-trained law-genius?
    To make the determination? He's right, it's not. That's up to the state (in some cases county) boards and the courts. The timing is written into the Constitution. The state/county boards are the ones doing the actual implementing so the actual decision-making is theirs*, and the only ones that can actually overrule them are the courts. The Justice Dept. can try and convince the courts to do so. But so can private citizens.

*depending on how things are set up they may be under the governor's orders directly or they may be semi-independent offices in which case changes have to be a matter of correctly implemented changes in state law or state constitutions
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    To make the determination? He's right, it's not. That's up to the state (in some cases county) boards and the courts. The timing is written into the Constitution. The state/county boards are the ones doing the actual implementing so the actual decision-making is theirs*, and the only ones that can actually overrule them are the courts. The Justice Dept. can try and convince the courts to do so. But so can private citizens.

*depending on how things are set up they may be under the governor's orders directly or they may be semi-independent offices in which case changes have to be a matter of correctly implemented changes in state law or state constitutions
    You realize, of course, that I was joking.

You realize, of course, that I was joking.
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2...odax-imperiate

There is no excuse for trying to prevent that, given the pandemic. You're not making the admin look better, you're making it look worse. And you're ofc also conveniently sidestepping the fact that what the admin really did was try to build pressure to postpone the election, and is now busy undermining the USPS in order to obstruct voters.
    Popular theory is Trump threw the election delay grenade to distract discussion away from the catastrophic economic data reported yesterday.

He knows the election can't and won't be postponed, but the more he complains about it (illegal immigrants voting, mail-in voter fraud, now should have been delayed since covid-caused voter suppression makes it illegitimate...), the more seeds he believes he is planting in the event he decides to declare a loss as fraudulent.

If the election is close, especially in several swing states, he will challenge it for sure. But if it's a landslide, he'll likely say it was driven by voter fraud. Question is what happens next when he does that - what if Republican state legislatures and governors refuse to certify election results until a fraud investigation is conducted? What if the justice department announces a sweeping fraud investigation that will take months to complete? What if the Senate starts holding extended fraud hearings? What if Trump declares himself winner and announces HE will be inaugurated on January whatever, and not Biden? What if Biden sues and the Supreme Court sides with the Republicans?

EDIT: None of this seems far-fetched to me, given what we've seen out of Trump and the vast majority of the Republican party in the last 4 years. Fuzzy, care to talk me down?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    What if the justice department announces a sweeping fraud investigation that will take months to complete?
    Assuming the Supreme Court refuses to stop this, Pelosi would become president if there is no official result by Jan. 21.
    Hope is the denial of reality