Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 US Presidential election

First of all, that would still be their fault because they didn't do due diligence on her before putting her on the biggest stage imaginable.

Secondly, she was explicitly chosen because she would appeal to the religious right. They might not have known how exactly batshit she was, but they knew what she represented and they liked it.

Some of the people responsible for this decision are Steve Schmidt (Lincoln Project) and Bill "I love the Iraq War" Kristol (Republican Voters Against Trump). Like, they explicitly advocated for her for that exact reason.

If these people want to temporarily climb aboard to get rid of Trump, then I'm happy they're doing that but I have no illusions about them being good people and have little doubt that they'll be back on their bullshit the second Trump is defeated.

Also, they're still Republicans so they're still going to be all 'fuck poor people, destroy medicare'.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Yeah, that's about where I'm at.

Can't decide if the post-Trump GOP will be pretending everything bad about the GOP began, and ended, with Trump when the party is functionally identical, or just have a new Trump who is even worse and now all the Trumpists are 'sensible moderates' and the other moderates will busy trying to redeem Trump in the way they're trying to with Bush.
    If Trump loses spectacularly now or is somehow suddenly removed from power a second term, I expect disorder, with many Republican politicians at various levels trying to see how much more they can get out of Trumpism, and others trying to erase the memory of their record under Trump. If there's a handover then I guess one question is whether they'll fall in line behind someone like Romney or someone like eg. Cotton or Hawley, the John Kerries and Jeb! Bushes of low-energy fash. Some of the Never Trump Republicans have completely severed their ties with the party and say they hope for the rise of a prominent centrist political bloc in the US. Might see a larger group of R-leaning "independent" voters. Think it's gonna depend not simply on what happens to Trump but what happens to his enablers and allies. If sufficiently many of those are booted out of the halls of power, you might start seeing a more principled conservative party emerge after an election cycle dominated by absolute nutters. If they remain in power, I don't think they'll repudiate Trump or Trumpism; rather, they'll try to refine it.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    The GOP is no more a monolithic party than Labour or the Tories are. Most of these pundits were more involved with John McCain style GOP than Bush.
    You have people involved with Bush, Cheney, Rove, Palin. You have racist, antisemitic shitbags like Rick Wilson. People who cut their teeth on TP-style political vandalism. A few of them do appear to be principled and/or decent, but many just seem to be mad because the modern GOP has no time for them anymore. I guess they're Biden's Suicide Squad. Again, I'm neutral about their activities; I don't think they'll make the difference wrt Trump.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Nobody likes a loser. If Trump loses spectacularly he will be abandoned faster than rats can get off a sinking ship. Trump's "power" comes from the idea he is popular with his base, but once that fails the party will run away fast.

Without wanting to get into a British argument or derail the thread I would like to draw an analogy between Trump and Corbyn. Corbyn was derided by his own side but beloved by his base, then doing much better than expected in 2017 General Election (though not winning) made him immune to attacks from his own side. Trump's story is the same but he did win in 2016. Second time around though the public wisely rejected by a landslide Corbyn and I hope and expect the same will happen to Trump. Defeat drops the scales from people's eyes, despite Corbyn's supposed popularity his ideological successor (RLB) was comprehensively defeated at the leadership election and now he himself is on the brink of quite possibly being expelled from the party. And the base that supposedly loved him? They don't care about him anymore, they've moved on.

The same will happen with Trump but only if it's a comprehensive defeat. Once he is comprehensively a loser nobody but the hardest core of extremists are going to want to be associated with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    People who cut their teeth on TP-style political vandalism.
    What do you actually mean by this?

American conservatism is just so contemptible:

Trump lies and says Joe Biden would "take away your guns, destroy your 2nd amendment, no religion, no anything, hurt the Bible, hurt God." He says Biden is "against God."
    Don't threaten me with a good time.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

You might be able to get a ride on one of the Soros/Gates buses.

Considering your country of origin I can understand why you would be opposed to Americans arming themselves.

Pot. Kettle.

ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Pot. Kettle.

It's not even that. There are numerous current videos of Biden being thoughtful, empathetic and eloquent, on the fly. His gaffes remain, but they are the way they've always been. Trump has not even come close to demonstrating anything near that level of leadership quality in a decade or more. So it's kinda funny but mostly pathetic to see the village idiot here trying to discredit Biden in this manner.

yeh but libs

they must be ownded
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    yeh but libs

they must be ownded
    Considering the pathetic front he puts on for this board, he likely takes this statement literally.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

If you think empathy was ever Trump's strong suit you're high.

What is his strong suit? Does he even have any?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    covfefe
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 08-07-2020 at 04:36 PM.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    He fights.

He trolls, he caves and runs anytime he is confronted in person, as we've seen in multiple interviews and press briefings. Hell, even Biden is more confrontational than Trump is.

but of course you'd be the one to confuse trolling as a positive trait.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

He trolls, he caves and runs anytime he is confronted in person, as we've seen in multiple interviews and press briefings. Hell, even Biden is more confrontational than Trump is.

but of course you'd be the one to confuse trolling as a positive trait.
    Trump is a weak man's idea of a strong man, just as he is a coward's idea of a fighter, a cretin's idea of a genius—and an Evangelical creep's idea of a virtuous man of God. "He fights", lmao what a dumbass answer.

Been waiting for that investigation. Slowing the mail during a pandemic, and right before an election (not to mention DeJoy's assets with competing companies) sounds like huge conflicts of interest.

Now...what's this about Republicans working to get Kanye West on the ballot, in a few key states -- in order to take votes from Biden and re-elect Trump?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/05/opini...lon/index.html

For someone who claims he would run into an active shooter situation he does a good bit of running away from female reporters, even for a bunker bitch.

and lewk's dumbass thinks this guy fights

Trump is definitely one of those guys who loudly proclaims he could kick your ass while standing 20-30 feet away and making no move to close the distance.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Trump is like someone screaming "come and have a go if you think you're tough enough" but only if he's got bigger, tougher mates in front of him - and he still turns tails and runs if anyone does start to move towards him.

He's a cretinous selfish coward.

Biden just lost my vote.

What a fucking idiot.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4fjA0K2EeE

Tulsi destroying Kamala will never get old.

[You can skip to the 4 minute mark or start from the beginning with the Biden trashing]

Harris would make a good 47th President.
    She is the most Trump-like choice Biden could have made. But you being an unknowing foreigner, I forgive you.

edit: See ^ even Lewk is happy about this unfortunate choice. Seriously, this is worse than McCain's pick.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?