Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1140

Thread: 2020 US Presidential election

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I am relieved Fox is taking its responsibility.
    Congratulations America

Even Fox has had it with Trump

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ris...illegitimizers

RISE OF THE ILLEGITIMIZERS It comes as a surprise to no one that a person who claimed massive fraud in a presidential election he won would be crabby about the results of one he lost.

For President Trump, it is always Festivus.

[...]

States will start certifying election results starting Wednesday. By the start of December, all but eight states will be finished. California comes last with official results due on Dec. 11.

We’ll find out whether Biden wins with as few as 290 electoral votes or as many as 321, but barring proof of massive voter fraud in multiple states, the transition will progress and Biden will peacefully assume power at noon on Jan. 20.

It seems more likely that rather than trying to prevent Biden from becoming president, Trump and his campaign are working to de-legitimize his successor’s administration.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1720003.html
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Murdoch to Trump: you have outlived your usefulness
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Fox cut away, the other networks didn't even bother starting to show what she had to say.

Absolutely remarkable we could have reached a point where the White House calls a press conference, all but one of the networks ignore it because they know it will be lies and even their pet friendly one cuts away too because of the lies.

ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Trump has been shitting on Fox for some time. I'll believe the network is taking its responsibility and making changes when their hosts start to behave or are booted out.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Their news division always enjoyed a large degree of autonomy from the talking heads (who are all in on Trump even now).
    Hope is the denial of reality

So, looks like national Republicans are getting behind Trump's refusal to concede. DOJ is 'investigating' the fictitious voter fraud. All we need now is some key state legislatures to 'investigate' the vote in their states, declare fraud, and put up a Trump+ slate of electors. That last bit would be completely in line with the character of Michigan's gerrymandered legislature. I wonder how much steam this effort will build up.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    So, looks like national Republicans are getting behind Trump's refusal to concede. DOJ is 'investigating' the fictitious voter fraud. All we need now is some key state legislatures to 'investigate' the vote in their states, declare fraud, and put up a Trump+ slate of electors. That last bit would be completely in line with the character of Michigan's gerrymandered legislature. I wonder how much steam this effort will build up.
    What harm could it do, right?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I do hope that this will die quickly in courts, Trump will not attempt an actual coup, and that those Georgian senators piss off so many voters that they lose the senate over this. If only to teach them a lesson.

Unfortunately I don't really expect that will happen..

It would be hilarious if the Georgian senators lose due to this, but I'm not expecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I do hope that this will die quickly in courts, Trump will not attempt an actual coup, and that those Georgian senators piss off so many voters that they lose the senate over this. If only to teach them a lesson.

Unfortunately I don't really expect that will happen..
    McConnell probably doesn't want Trump to concede before the January run-off, lest the right wing voters in Georgia take a morale hit and don't turn out. The refusal to concede absolutely will not have the opposite effect to somehow help the Democrat candidates (IMO, of course). That kind of thing - integrity, respect of institutions, truth, the simple dignity of recognizing and admitting when you lose.... that's not the thinking we are dealing with here.

EDIT: And I totally believe Trump and his allies are proceeding with the intent to steal the election. He doesn't care about helping keep the Senate, he wants to continue being president.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    McConnell probably doesn't want Trump to concede before the January run-off, lest the right wing voters in Georgia take a morale hit and don't turn out. The refusal to concede absolutely will not have the opposite effect to somehow help the Democrat candidates (IMO, of course). That kind of thing - integrity, respect of institutions, truth, the simple dignity of recognizing and admitting when you lose.... that's not the thinking we are dealing with here.

EDIT: And I totally believe Trump and his allies are proceeding with the intent to steal the election. He doesn't care about helping keep the Senate, he wants to continue being president.
    True. But at the same time I can imagine the average Georgian being pissed that their own state officials are being accused of fraud, and it might cause internal war within the state party (since if I'm not mistaken, the officials being accused are also GOP).

And arguably having Biden confirmed in the white house can galvanize Republican voters to prevent a democratic controlled senate. On the flipside, if Biden is not a certainty, it might increase the turnout for the Democrats.

But I expect the Democrats to lose (at least one race). But it's a rather unusual dynamic, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    True. But at the same time I can imagine the average Georgian being pissed that their own state officials are being accused of fraud, and it might cause internal war within the state party (since if I'm not mistaken, the officials being accused are also GOP).

And arguably having Biden confirmed in the white house can galvanize Republican voters to prevent a democratic controlled senate. On the flipside, if Biden is not a certainty, it might increase the turnout for the Democrats.

But I expect the Democrats to lose (at least one race). But it's a rather unusual dynamic, to say the least.
    It's going to be 0 or 2 for Democrats. Very few people are going to split their vote in two Senate races on the same ballot.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

This is very good (sound on)

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    No recount is going to switch Pennsylvania and so it really doesn't matter what shenanigans Georgia wants to get up to. And in Pennsylvania, the governor (who is a Democrat) appoints the electors.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Plus the law on how electors are awarded to the winner is already set isn't it? And it would be an unconstitutional ex post facto law to change it now.

Though for interest who determines Michigan and Wisconsin? One or both of those are needed with PA aren't they? Though I think in MI it wasn't even close in the end.

Pennsylvania has no law requiring electors vote a certain way, but I believe they are a state that can replace their electors if they attempt to vote against the popular vote.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    No recount is going to switch Pennsylvania and so it really doesn't matter what shenanigans Georgia wants to get up to. And in Pennsylvania, the governor (who is a Democrat) appoints the electors.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Plus the law on how electors are awarded to the winner is already set isn't it? And it would be an unconstitutional ex post facto law to change it now.

Though for interest who determines Michigan and Wisconsin? One or both of those are needed with PA aren't they? Though I think in MI it wasn't even close in the end.
    Believe the Trump campaign's gambit was/is to get a federal court to stop the certification of the election results in PA among other places. If the results are not certified, can there be a legal requirement for governors and electors to act as if they are?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Believe the Trump campaign's gambit was/is to get a federal court to stop the certification of the election results in PA among other places. If the results are not certified, can there be a legal requirement for governors and electors to act as if they are?

I believe that Trump is a poop flinging money who is throwing shit at the wall to see if anything sticks, while constantly emailling his supporters begging them for money to fund his fight despite the fact his lawyers are patently not even trying. Case dismissed the other day after it was filed with literally no supporting evidence accompanying it. Another case dismissed yesterday after the lawyer turned up and said he had no evidence.

This is for Trump's ego and get attention and money from the easily fooled. This will allow Trump to go screaming into the goodnight saying "I won, it was stolen".

No judge is going to go down in the history books as upending democracy. Its worth remembering that in Bush v Gore the count said Bush won by 500 votes - so the Judges could put their thumb on the scale, stop the recount and declare that as the result. In 2020 Trump has lost by tens of thousands of votes across multiple states and he'd need to flip no less than 3 states to win. It is not happening, if it goes to the courts then SCOTUS would rule 9-0 against him - but they won't take the case.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I believe that Trump is a poop flinging money who is throwing shit at the wall to see if anything sticks, while constantly emailling his supporters begging them for money to fund his fight despite the fact his lawyers are patently not even trying. Case dismissed the other day after it was filed with literally no supporting evidence accompanying it. Another case dismissed yesterday after the lawyer turned up and said he had no evidence.
    a couple of fun facts:

Donations under $8,000 go directly to the president's PAC "Save America"
    Several judges have warned Trump's lawyers that their licenses are on the line if they lie for the president. That has created some very interesting responses from them, including the "non-zero" answer when asked if there were GOP monitors in the ballot counting rooms.

Yes. When you're paying they will file futile cases with the courts if you pay them enough to do so, but they won't lie under oath for you, can't commit perjury, won't risk their licence for you and so can't just overturn the law just because you pay them.

Irony from May

Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Those statements from Hilary Clinton, from Barack Obama, from John Kerry, from Nancy Pelosi, on 9th of November 2016, are really striking.

Where Hilary's losing campaign stated acceptance of the result, and that Trump was 'owed an open mind and the chance to lead'.

Where Obama stated that his team would work hard toward a peaceful transition of power to the president-elect.

Where John Kerry stated his congratulations to Trump on his victory.

Where Nancy Pelosi stated acceptance of the result, and that American democracy was all about a peaceful transition of power.

This is loss with dignity. Loss with grace. Loss with respect.

Compare that with the tantrums, the disrepect, the ungraciousness, the pathetic childishness, shown by Trump, by his campaign, and by those shrinking GOP numbers around him who continue to cry foul.

Silly little children who need to grow up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.