Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Political Compass

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.

Default Re: Political Compass

I think I was closer to the origin point last time I did this.

Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Quote Originally Posted by NGS
    "A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system."
    I don't see how anyone that understands politics could disagree with this statement...a little help?
    We had a pretty good discussion of this on the old CC last time we did this. IIRC i asked the same question and RB and i debated it. If that helps you search it up.

One thats always caught me out is "charity is better than social security as a means of helping the genuinely disadvantaged". I dont know. Surely this is a factual question? Can anyone enlighten me?
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnie

We had a pretty good discussion of this on the old CC last time we did this. IIRC i asked the same question and RB and i debated it. If that helps you search it up.
    I'll give it a go, thanks for the tip.

One thats always caught me out is "charity is better than social security as a means of helping the genuinely disadvantaged". I dont know. Surely this is a factual question? Can anyone enlighten me?
    Aye, that's riddled with subjectivity. Context-sensitive, as well (at least, more so than all the other questions).

IIRC wasn't the whole counter-argument centered around the word "advantage", claiming that sometimes it's better to be slower?

I never bought that logic, though I can't remember if I participated in that discussion. It's like saying you can't claim a car has a speed advantage over a horse because sometimes you won't like where you're driving to. The problem with one party systems is not in how fast they can get things done, it's in what they get done. Their speed of action is an advantage that often isn't used towards good ends.

"A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system."
    I don't see how anyone that understands politics could disagree with this statement...a little help?
    Meh, slight slowing down is good, it prevents going-with-the-flow of public outcry and media attention. see also, from the thread about R ratings in Australia:

Quote Originally Posted by termite
    [...] They are however passing similar legislation in other states. As the article mentioned, NSW passed their legislation after a public brawl at Sydney airport which resulted in a Comancheros club member being killed. In the hysteria around the incident, people accepted the legislation. When the local sports club is dubbed a "criminal organisation" because 6 or more of its members are criminals then the average Joe might just pull their heads out of their arse and say WTF? But it will be too late. When society runs out of criminals it makes new laws to make new criminals...in this case under the guise of getting the allegedly untouchable criminals.
    Things like that.

One that's always caught me out is "charity is better than social security as a means of helping the genuinely disadvantaged". I don't know. Surely this is a factual question? Can anyone enlighten me?
    Well, USA has more focus on voluntary donations, e.g. charity, European countries usually more through taxes and the state, e.g. social security. I prefer social security, afraid charities will only help their own (e.g. Christian charities help Christian people and needs but not atheist or Muslim ones).
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith
    IIRC wasn't the whole counter-argument centered around the word "advantage", claiming that sometimes it's better to be slower?

I never bought that logic, though I can't remember if I participated in that discussion. It's like saying you can't claim a car has a speed advantage over a horse because sometimes you won't like where you're driving to. The problem with one party systems is not in how fast they can get things done, it's in what they get done. Their speed of action is an advantage that often isn't used towards good ends.
    This is a much more eloquent articulation of what I was thinking. And even if you don't like where you're driving, well then, your speed allows you the time to turn around and get out of Dodge.

Also, the A+ari search feature is so beyond inefficient it's likely I'll never find the argument without knowing significantly more information...which is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy
    Meh, slight slowing down is good, it prevents going-with-the-flow of public outcry and media attention. see also, from the thread about R ratings in Australia:
    Yet it seems to me a one-party system wouldn't be concerned with public outcry or the media.

EDIT: this letting-you-know-about-a-post-made-while-you-were-posting thing is pretty frackin' sweet!

Yet it seems to me a one-party system wouldn't be concerned with public outcry or the media.
    Depends, they still need popular support to stop people from rising up I suppose. In fact, with a multi party system people will be less busy with rising up since they can simply wait for the next election and elect THEIR favourites. One party system has no alternative!
    EDIT: this letting-you-know-about-a-post-made-while-you-were-posting thing is pretty frackin' sweet!
    It really is! I hope that stays on vBulletin.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.

Well, USA has more focus on voluntary donations, e.g. charity, European countries usually more through taxes and the state, e.g. social security. I prefer social security, afraid charities will only help their own (e.g. Christian charities help Christian people and needs but not atheist or Muslim ones).
    I've heard it expressed as "Your ability to survive should not be dependent on your ability to make people like you.".

In that fashion a state support system makes sense as it's supposed be unbiased and not care who you are (ignoring all the measures put in place to make sure that someone somewhere isn't getting something they don't deserve)
    On the other hand, if your charity has strings attatched is it really charity?
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Depends, they still need popular support to stop people from rising up I suppose. In fact, with a multi party system people will be less busy with rising up since they can simply wait for the next election and elect THEIR favourites. One party system has no alternative!
    I think what you're describing depends on how liberal (Locke) the people are. If we have a society full of sycophant Timmys there won't be much of a problem for the government. Actually, I think this mirrors what happened in the CC pretty well; those with the courage and righteousness stood against the new regime and left, while those who didn't know any better have seemed to conform. And there's even a mini-revolution (with the avatars) which really hasn't done anything.

Alright alright...

Economic Left/Right: 3.88
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

Maybe this will convince Tear that I haven't stopped thinking.

It looks like I'm still the queen of the left.

I am suddenly wondering if I appear batshit insane, though.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged
    It looks like I'm still the queen of the left.

I am suddenly wondering if I appear batshit insane, though.
    Excuse me? We got the exact same score on the left-right scale
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Did we? Oh good. I didn't want to be all alone.

I'm still queen, though. You can be princess.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged
    Did we? Oh good. I didn't want to be all alone.

I'm still queen, though. You can be princess.
    Normally I'd call you a whore, but the fair and balanced moderating process at Atari have proved I'm the whore, and you're the untarnished princess, princess.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

:lol: That is so fucking unfair. I want my sex WL, damn it.

Whore.

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar

Economic Left/Right: -3.62
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13

I'm pretty far left apparently.
    I enjoy blank walls.

No, you aren't.

I didn't think you'd be that far left economically, supermario man...

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught
    I didn't think you'd be that far left economically, supermario man...:/
    You sound so disappointed

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar

I didn't think you'd be that far left economically, supermario man...
    Being screwed over by Wall Street tends to do that to people I guess.
    I enjoy blank walls.

Maybe this will convince Tear that I haven't stopped thinking.
    1) Same score from teens to mid 20s means you're thinking? I'd say it means the opposite.

2) There's a difference between what one's beliefs are and how he defends them.

Me:

A couple of thoughts:
    1) I wish I could compare 1/00,1/05 and 1/10. I'm pretty sure I've shifted leftwards on economics, and libertarian wrt religion in response to the Bush years and the economic plunge.

2) I found on almost every economic question that I wanted a 5th answer that was right in the middle. So actually I think I lie rightwards on that.

Economic Left/Right: 3.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.26

Dread copied me.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by '
    ['ear]

1) Same score from teens to mid 20s means you're thinking? I'd say it means the opposite.

2) There's a difference between what one's beliefs are and how he defends them.
    Bullshit, my point is that my views have shifted, but not in the extreme that you suggest.

Bullshit, my point is that my views have shifted, but not in the extreme that you suggest.
    Now now

The questionnaire is flawed

And you do seem pretty corporate-happy

Lots of things make me happy. Doesn't make me a right-wing extremist.

Lots of things make me happy. Doesn't make me a right-wing extremist.
    You're using tainted language there; right-wing extremism is ripe with all sorts of jackasses ranging from "white supremacists" to evangelical preachers. No one is saying you hate negroes or crave for Rapture. However you do seem to support most of the heinous economical right-wing views.

The thing is I'm not sure they are all that far right if you put them on a scale of economic views. Maybe compared to Communist Scandinavia, but it's not like I'm saying we should privatize firefighters and such.

Because the delay of progress can be seen as a good thing (e.g. not rushing through legislation).
    Yep, this point goes very far IMO. I think too many people and politicians support activism/actionism. In the end what is more for important than fast legislative is a stable political system. This way companies can do long term investments. Things that need short hand reactions (like handling disasters) should be handed to the executive anyway.

Of course I am a little based, living in one of the slowest political systems of the world. But we seem to do well with it.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Hm.

I just found a link to one of these that i did a while ago. Looks like ive changed a lot more than i thought.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

The thing is I'm not sure they are all that far right if you put them on a scale of economic views. Maybe compared to Communist Scandinavia, but it's not like I'm saying we should privatize firefighters and such.
    And for some reason our children are so much better off than yours. Is it racial, or is it the socialism

(Unfortunately we are going extinct )