Thread: Political Compass

Default Re: Political Compass

Or the homogeneity?

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith
    Or the homogeneity?
    That'd be the racial bit, sweetums

At least compared to the gods-awful mish-mash you folks have over there
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I think the cultural side of things is more important than the ethnic, but it's late and I'm tired and I did miss the racial bit.

I think the cultural side of things is more important than the ethnic, but it's late and I'm tired and I did miss the racial bit.
    *shrug* Cultures foster among communities, and even without "white pride" jackasses the various ethnicities in the US seem to have congregated amongst themselves
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Almost exactly the same as last time, I think
    How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

Quote Originally Posted by NGS
    But if progress is really what it means--an improvement--then why delay it? Progress should come swiftly, and heck, if there's no official way to dispute it without getting your head chopped off, there's no need to worry about dissent.
    'Progress' is not always an advantage. Nor should it necessarily come swiftly, it should come right.
    I think this has to do with what side of the argument you're on, too. An advocate of democracy would make an argument similar to yours because they believe in the principles of the system (ie the people decide through their representation what's best for them), while a Phoxe...erm, fascist would say the trepidation in passing legislature is a sign of weakness, etc.
    This is a very good example actually. Phoxe's completely ballsed-up implementation of the rule changes shows a one-party-state attitude to change, rushing it through without dissent. In my case being removed due to behind-the-scenes dissent. Did it work? I'd say no. A slower, but more managed, well-discussed implementation could have worked much better.
    I never bought that logic, though I can't remember if I participated in that discussion. It's like saying you can't claim a car has a speed advantage over a horse because sometimes you won't like where you're driving to. The problem with one party systems is not in how fast they can get things done, it's in what they get done. Their speed of action is an advantage that often isn't used towards good ends.
    No, its like saying driving to the speed limit (Democracy), is safer than driving with your foot down at full speed at all times (One party state). Yes, you'll get from A to B quicker if you're travelling at 140mph in a residential area, but chances are you'll crash and hurt yourself or others, miss a required turning because you didn't realise you needed to turn etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

All this highlights is the ambiguity of the question. As above, depending on what scenario you place it in, you get different answers.

I can easily see myself seeing it from Rands point of view if that was what was meant. Without said information though, i have to take it on face value - "The factor to consider is speed. Does a dictatorship have an advantage over a democracy" Answer - yes.

Without more information, you have to go with the simplest possible interpretation.
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

An apt metaphor, Randy.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade
    No, its like saying driving to the speed limit (Democracy), is safer than driving with your foot down at full speed at all times (One party state). Yes, you'll get from A to B quicker if you're travelling at 140mph in a residential area, but chances are you'll crash and hurt yourself or others, miss a required turning because you didn't realise you needed to turn etc
    But is a one party state equivalent to driving at full speed? Single-party states can get pretty cozy for the leaders. When the ruling party has no serious competitors it may get complacent, utilizing "the machine" (whether its electoral [in the case of democracy] or violent [in the case of dictatorship]) to keep it in power and keep alternative voices from gaining any traction in government. Of course, this coziness eventually leads to decay and downfall, but it can take a while to happen.

Just disputing your analogy . As well as the question from the test... Nessus is dead on in that there are a huge number of assumptions underlying most of these questions.

I'm sticking witht he car & horse analogy. You can get wherever you need to go faster, but you don't have to. It's not an flaw that the car can go faster than the horse, or that some cars can go faster than other cars. If you're going faster than is safe given your ability, the blame isn't on your capability for speed.

'Progress' is not always an advantage. Nor should it necessarily come swiftly, it should come right.

This is a very good example actually. Phoxe's completely ballsed-up implementation of the rule changes shows a one-party-state attitude to change, rushing it through without dissent. In my case being removed due to behind-the-scenes dissent. Did it work? I'd say no. A slower, but more managed, well-discussed implementation could have worked much better.

All very good points, and I think in the end Spawnie still gets it right; the ambiguity of the questions forces you to go with whatever your mind decides the simplest interpretation is.

Everyone complains about the questions. But the way you interpret the question is part of the psych evaluation that goes into the calculation of your score.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Being
    But the way you interpret the question is part of the psych evaluation that goes into the calculation of your score.
    ... And how exactly is the test supposed to magically determine how I interpreted a question when I answered it?
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Vernum
    ... And how exactly is the test supposed to magically determine how I interpreted a question when I answered it?
    Magic? Not at all. Have you noticed how some of the questions seem to be a bit redundant? Without taking into account the degree of the answers there are 4 combinations of answers to those sets of redundant questions.

For/For
    For/Against
    Against/For
    Against/Against

Weighting those with the degree of the answers provide substantial information for psychological analyis portion of the evaluation. It would be interesting to see the formula used. It is probably quite involved.

I moved a bit more center...

Economic Left/Right: 3.12
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.95
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

No social conservatives. Huh.

C'mon Lewk. Share!

How much credence do people actually put into these personality profilers? What is the likelihood of there being a response to any one, let alone all, of the questions that accurately demonstrates your views. I know it's fun to do, any reader of Cosmo can tell you that, but I can think of many things more fun than this.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by rumrunner
    How much credence do people actually put into these personality profilers? What is the likelihood of there being a response to any one, let alone all, of the questions that accurately demonstrates your views. I know it's fun to do, any reader of Cosmo can tell you that, but I can think of many things more fun than this.
    Sure, but what else are we supposed to do at work?
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Vernum

Sure, but what else are we supposed to do at work?
    Work? What the hell have I been doing?

Did someone say inter-office 'politicing' *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Will create a new chart tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Will create a new chart tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.
    Sweet.
    Thanks Khen.

I always liked you khen.
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    No social conservatives. Huh.

C'mon Lewk. Share!

I'm probably the closest, and I've drifted farther right than I expected. Still not as down towards the libertarian side as I'dve thought either.

4.88 / - 2.10

I'd previously almost always been within 2 units of the center....

Economic Left/Right: -3.67
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.59
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick.

The answer to life's most important question.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Finally done it

The legend on the right does not totally correspond to the icons on the left. Don't know why, but should be recognizable regardless.
    Did include the median and the average just for shits and giggles.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Nice Khen. Good job. Thanks.

Nice, Khen.

Still no Lewk? Come on. Either play along or don't bother showing up.

Heh, thats pretty neat, thanks.