Page 10 of 127 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: covid-19

Well, have I been caught with my pants down; I thought I could make a last quick trip to Istanbul. Turns out I took the last plane from western Europe for at least a month.

I may have to fly back trough northern Cyprus an do the transfer by crossing the green line.
    Congratulations America

Uhh student loan interest waiver? Wtf does that have to do with the Coronovirus. I swear politicians of both parties just try to buy votes these days with no shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Its not scientific, I'm not a disease expert. But I guess we'll find out the final death total in America and bounce it off the flu death total and see the impact. Impossible to say at this point with certainty but if I were putting money on it I would say fewer deaths than the flu.
    WHY? Better number would be the percent of infected who die -- and that can't be figured without comprehensive testing and scientific data collection, along with the preparedness of our hospital systems and *government response*. Betting that covid19 will be less lethal than the flu isn't based on anything but your "hunch". You should have learned that from working in the Insurance Industry.

Government is always inefficient. You can find this under Rs and Ds and across the globe really.
    Wrong. Government is the only entity that can tackle huge problems, from disasters to pandemics (or wars) since it can coral and coordinate funds, data, logistics, equipment, manpower, etc. Most large bureacracies have inefficiencies, that's not something unique to governments.

Also, if the federal reserve can lower interest rates and buy Treasuries, why shouldn't students get a break too?

Uhh student loan interest waiver? Wtf does that have to do with the Coronovirus. I swear politicians of both parties just try to buy votes these days with no shame.
    It's hard to pay off student loans when you're not getting paid for your hourly job. Tons of students here work in restaurants/bars. They're not making any money now. No shifts or minimum wage.
    Hope is the denial of reality

There will be so much economic damage done in the wake of this virus, the domino effect is HUGE. While economic stimulus packages can help us get over the hump, I think we should treat this virus like a *tiny terrorist* that threatens -- and challenges -- civil societies. All hands on deck.

"Small government" is fanciful folly.

In the last 24 hrs I've gotten email notifications from by bank, investment firm, apartment complex, gas company, electric company, internet provider, and insurance provider. They're all "reaching out" to customers during the covid19 crisis, ready to help with service and paying bills. Wow, the new reality finally hits

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    It's hard to pay off student loans when you're not getting paid for your hourly job. Tons of students here work in restaurants/bars. They're not making any money now. No shifts or minimum wage.
    If the government wanted to do something I'd rather see almost any other form of assistance. There are people who worked through college to pay for it and its a punch in the face for people who were responsible. If the government absolutely has to help (and I 100% disagree but for the sake of the discussion) than I'd be in favor of temporary payroll tax cut or expand the amount that unemployment provides to workers.

Lewk, they're just giving students a break from paying interest on their loans.

It's arguably the same thing the fed is doing for banks that loan to large corporations (by lowering their interest rate to nearly zero), but it's directly targeted to the people who need it most.

If you 100% disagree that the government should "help", then what are you thinking?!

Never mind. Trolls never answer direct questions. They're good at denial, delusion, and deflection.
    Last edited by GGT; 03-14-2020 at 07:16 AM.

All you had to do was think for like 30 seconds about this before posting. It's the same reason other places have put evictions on hold.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

If the government wanted to do something I'd rather see almost any other form of assistance. There are people who worked through college to pay for it and its a punch in the face for people who were responsible. If the government absolutely has to help (and I 100% disagree but for the sake of the discussion) than I'd be in favor of temporary payroll tax cut or expand the amount that unemployment provides to workers.
    It's not loan forgiveness you odious tit, it's a temporary interest payment waiver to prevent people from getting completely fucked during a time when they might not be able to make any money.

A microscopic organism is laying bare the flaws in our consumer-based democratic societies. We are at "war" with a germ that doesn't recognize borders or politics.

What Italy is going thru scares the bejesus out of me.

The other thing that scares me are guys like Lewk, and president Trump and his supporters, who treat this crisis with a ho-hum "anti-government" attitude. As if healthcare in the 21st century should include trading a chicken for medical services, remember that (R) talking point that was all about Freee Markets and Freee Trade? omg
    Last edited by GGT; 03-14-2020 at 08:58 AM.

And there's the Olympics in Japan....

Accepting passports today, looks like my first 2 appointments are no shows. Library in general is dead so far, even with early voting going on.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Lewk, they're just giving students a break from paying interest on their loans.

It's arguably the same thing the fed is doing for banks that loan to large corporations (by lowering their interest rate to nearly zero), but it's directly targeted to the people who need it most.

If you 100% disagree that the government should "help", then what are you thinking?!

Never mind. Trolls never answer direct questions. They're good at denial, delusion, and deflection.
    "people who need it most" DA FK? People with college degrees tend to have higher income potential than those who don't. In what world is being college educated an indicator that they "need it most." What are you even basing that off of?

Income "potential" yes.

"Potential" is not worth much when the economy has shut down at the minute. Hence waiving interest alone not waiving the loaned amount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Our Ministry of Foreign Affairs has released an official statement discouraging all travel abroad. Very important step; many thousands of people will be able to cancel trips and get full refunds now, rather than just being screwed, or being forced to re-book them for later this year. My schedule for this spring is going to be weird, with either three bonus weeks of research, or three weeks of absolute hell on call - depending on how things develop at my hospital and at my clinic - or, you know, quarantine. Radical acceptance is my salvation. That said, I'm getting increasingly worried; my mother's in a high-risk group and she's living all on her own in a city where you can't get about without subways and buses and where we might see high rates of community transmission in a couple of weeks. Sthlm is a very vulnerable city, with a large at-risk population and a healthcare system that has no hope of coping with a surge of severely ill patients. Up here, life isn't all that complicated yet. The weather's beautiful, and people are enjoying the weekend without gathering in large numbers. I have never appreciated this town more - eminently walkable, lots of fresh air, open spaces, oodles of natural beauty just a stone's throw from our home. The baby is thriving, and she video-chats with my mum a couple of times a day, enhancing this pervasive sense of coziness. I'm locking down my mortgage at a very good rate next week, and I have very little direct exposure to the market r n.

Trump offers 'large sums' for exclusive access to coronavirus vaccine
    https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/18...ine-surpremacy

US is acting like an enemy of Europe and the world
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Well, if we're gracious it's likely that it's commercial access, i.e. they'd get the exclusive rights to license it to everyone else.

That would still make it a rather scummy move - and I'm not really sure how his Supposedly-Christian buddies square "Profiteering from a global pandemic" with their Buddy Jesus.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Health Experts Worry Coronavirus Will Overwhelm America’s GoFundMe System

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Well, if we're gracious it's likely that it's commercial access, i.e. they'd get the exclusive rights to license it to everyone else.

That would still make it a rather scummy move - and I'm not really sure how his Supposedly-Christian buddies square "Profiteering from a global pandemic" with their Buddy Jesus.
    Then I saw when the Lamb broke one of the seven seals, and I heard one of the four living creatures saying as with a voice of thunder, "Come." I looked, and behold, a white horse, and he who sat on it had a bow; and exclusive licensing rights were given to him, and he went out conquering and to conquer.

There's some hope mortality can be pushed down dramatically. #tocilizumab
    Congratulations America

Hah that's pretty good, so is this one.

https://babylonbee.com/news/pence-ca...e-coronavirus/
    No, that's low-rent boomer garbage. Do you have no sense of pride?

This is Disney 1 hour before closing tonight for 2 weeks.
    http://imgur.com/gallery/7xJsEGa

Covid-19 is still a joke in the US

This is Disney 1 hour before closing tonight for 2 weeks.
    http://imgur.com/gallery/7xJsEGa

Covid-19 is still a joke in the US
    To be fair you're extremely unlikely to catch it in that crowd at this stage of the development. Outdoor moving crowds are not the major method of transmission.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

The US is struggling because it isn't an authoritarian nation like South Korea:

Trump is worst occupant of the Oval Office ever. Lincoln would be turning in his grave to see what the heir to his party has been up to.

Maybe if Trump hadn't sacked the CDC Pandemic the CDC response may have been prompter and better.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    To be fair you're extremely unlikely to catch it in that crowd at this stage of the development. Outdoor moving crowds are not the major method of transmission.
    People in that crowd from all over the US, including from areas where there is community transmission. Impossible to say how many have been infected, and where the infected have gone. Feels kinda irresponsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    People in that crowd from all over the US, including from areas where there is community transmission. Impossible to say how many have been infected, and where the infected have gone. Feels kinda irresponsible.
    At this stage there may be some community transmission in that crowd but if so it will go to a couple of people, not hundreds or thousands. You could get just as much community transmission on public transport or in the shops or in a bar.

Impossible to say how many have been infected and where the infected have gone, but considering America has failed to do even basic testing or tracing since this started they don't have a clue about that in the first place anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    At this stage there may be some community transmission in that crowd but if so it will go to a couple of people, not hundreds or thousands. You could get just as much community transmission on public transport or in the shops or in a bar.
    That is indeed a great reason for not standing around in a crowded train, bus, shop, bar or massive amusement park at this point in time.

Impossible to say how many have been infected and where the infected have gone, but considering America has failed to do even basic testing or tracing since this started they don't have a clue about that in the first place anyway.
    The appropriate response to this is to not do things that may make matters worse. If your leaders are irresponsible, it's not a genius move to embrace fatalism and emulate their irresponsible posture.

Continuing the COVID19 diary, we've had another day of beautiful weather. I'm working every other night, which has two major benefits: it reduces my exposure (compared to working during the day, when I will regularly come into close contact with dozens of people, and be in close proximity to hundreds over the course of the day), and it means I can spend much more time with my family (because I'm free between night shifts). I spent a few hours strolling around with the baby on a practically deserted stretch of road by the river, while my wife got some time alone for the first time in months, and then we had a long video-chat with my mother. Trying to maximize opportunities to do that when I'm at home during the day. I also bought a diary - feels like a good time to resume that practice, although I can't help but feel a little morbid.

Several of my colleagues are in temporary quarantine awaiting test-results, but wait-times for those are down to 6 hours or so now. We currently have no clear signs of community transmission in our city, but it's probably just a matter of days. The coming months will see a lot of ad hoc scheduling changes. Like much of the Swedish healthcare system, there isn't a lot of slack in our day-to-day operations; we have some elective investigations, procedures and follow-up we can divert, postpone or cancel, which gives us some margins, but wrt staffing our clinic is in an unenviable position because we need to fill a large number of positions with residents and senior consultants 24/7/365. My shift on call last night, the ED was much less busy than it usually is; patients are responding to recommendations.

One thing that has disappointed me is the fractured and inconsistent response from regional healthcare-providers (equivalent of NHS trusts, under county govt). Recommendations vary slightly from one region to the next without clear justification, indicating lack of coordination. Another disappointing thing is that, though we've established routines, we haven't changed our day-to-day operations in anticipation of an inevitable surge in both severely ill patients and ill or unavailable staff. There is no info on when (or in response to what triggers) we'll cancel planned visits, investigations and procedures. The vast majority of patients here are elderly, and it seems irresponsible to not even give them a heads-up.

Wrt financial matters, hard to say what one should do or when. I've decided to take things one day at a time.