Page 125 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127 LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,750 of 3792

Thread: covid-19

Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

A man with MS was fired because he got vaccinated—his boss said the company had an anti-vaccination policy. The company is now being sued for discrimination. My guess is, this is something the dumbass came up with on his own, and his wife and co-owner didn't know what he was up to. Knowing how these companies tend to operate, I reckon they'll go bust before the end of the year. I'm told the dude used to mess about with MLM schemes. Just sitting here thinking about how sad the whole thing is. The guy who was fired got a much better job, but the guy who fired him is fucked... all because he read some dumb shit on the internet. Ah well. Saw some bizarre claims about vaccination in patients with MS I was able to sort out at least.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Have you seen how many professional coaches/assistant coaches in the US lost their jobs because they refused to be vaccinated? Some had a stellar record. Ending their career because of crap they read on Facebook.
    Hope is the denial of reality

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ras...blican-tracker

""Squad" member Rep. Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich., was caught on camera saying she was only wearing a mask because she was being tailed by a "Republican tracker."

The Michigan congresswoman made the admission while speaking to a maskless attendee at an event in Detroit featuring Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Secretary Marcia Fudge.

Tlaib told the attendee that she only had the mask on because of the tracker, who was filming the exchange, after the person mistakenly thought Tlaib was scolding him for going maskless."

lol

Well, I mean, yeah.

Meanwhile, notorious racist politician is in the hospital with covid, probably sicker than he's ever been but still classified as mild/moderate by hospital standards. He wrote a long post about how he hasn't had "time" to get vaccinated, but has had a lot of fun these past few months, going on vacations, traveling to other countries for "work", etc. This racist party's supporters are strong believers in antivaxx conspiracy theories, and he had a valuable opportunity to promote vaccination in unequivocal terms, but that would be political suicide, so...

Ministers were reluctant to impose a lockdown before March 23 last year “because of the official scientific advice the government received, not in spite of it”, the report said. “Government policy did not deviate from the scientific advice it received in any material respect.”

https://www.ft.com/content/20e6bf0b-...b-e1d4351368be
    BELIEVE SCIENCE.

SCIENCE = WHOEVER WE WANT TO BELIEVE

SCIENCE/WHOEVER WE WANT TO = BELIEF

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    BELIEVE SCIENCE.

SCIENCE = WHOEVER WE WANT TO BELIEVE

SCIENCE/WHOEVER WE WANT TO = BELIEF
    What's your point? The ALL CAPS kinda confused me.

Goodbye dingdongs

Whatever happened to that story about British people not resuscitating learning disabled folks?

Thousands of cranks in NYC put on unpaid leave:

https://www.ft.com/content/29d98c4d-...6-b4a57809dd48

Only 34 cops

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ccine-mandate/

In other news, the Swedish govt's independent covid inquiry arrived at conclusions the govt. isn't too happy about. Tbf, the report directs severe criticism against both national, county, and municipal govts, as well as the dept. of public health—none of it unexpected or unjustified. The govt. tried to delay the release of the report until after next year's election, and also tried to get a sneak peek at the report prior to publication. The PM announced his decision to resign from his post weeks ago, but it probably didn't have much to do with this; I suspect we won't learn much from this farce. Only consolation is that many more of my colleagues are now openly critical of key decisions that they previously defended or weren't bothered by.

So it looks like Mushfiq Mobarak—whose team at Yale ran that influential masking RCT in Bangladesh—reached out to our state epidemiologist, prior to launching that trial, with a detailed proposal for conducting a masking RCT in Sweden. Our subliterate state epidemiologist—who had met and even debated alongside Mobarak not long ago—thought this was a proposal to donate masks to Swedish authorities, and replied with a terse (honestly, rude) instruction to ask the national board of health's dept. for supply matters. He also appears to have forwarded the email to some clown in comms who referred Mobarak to... the Swedish Red Cross. I mean what the fuck.

So much for Sweden being used as a model of effective governance.

The hero of the Lewks of the world:

You learn something new every day. Ignoring all the crap in there, I now know that Fauci is A) looking GREAT for his age. Seriously, I thought he was in his early 60s. Turns out he's 80. B) He's been in his current position, director of that office on allergy and infection for almost 40 years. For the first time, I actually kinda agree with conservatives that he needs to step aside. Not because he's doing a poor job but because I am personally convinced that's it's not good for the health of any agency to be led by the same person for that length of time.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

https://www.politico.com/story/2008/...e-issue-010529

Liberals - "McCain is too old at 72 but a guy who's 80 should lead us in our pandemic response"

I don't care how old he is, so long as he remains mentally sharp. Fauci's contemporary research work shows he still is. I'm fine with continuing to pay him to research, or to lead offices. I just don't think it's good for that particular office to have him continue on there. Of course, at 37 years as its director, what institutional damage that kind of longevity will inflict has probably already been done, so maybe it no longer makes a difference.

I wouldn't support putting him in the Oval Office though. He doesn't have the right kinds of experience. We also have seen the physical toll serving as President takes on those in that office. I've not seen an indication that being Director of the NIAID imposes the same kind of punishment on a person. Granted, the sample size is smaller and there simply is no contemporary analog since he's the only one whose had the position for longer than Loki's been alive, but just the fact that he is in such fine fettle after 37 years in position tells its own story.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Got my booster shot last Friday, decided to try the Moderna shot on top of the original Pfizers. That thing packs a punch, it took till yesterday to feel fully "back to normal".
    Overall, our country seems to have passed the third (or was it the fourth? really not sure at this point) wave. Our death rates, although declining at the moment, generally look abysmal, an investigation has been launched. Generally speaking, things are looking quite good at the moment, apart from the protests scheduled for the next week (a local populist politician has been planning this and gathering followers online for quite a while; I don't think his plans accounted for him becoming quite as unhinged by the time he actually decides to actually do something IRL, though).
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

And we're in lockdown again. Probably good call with Omikron numbers rising.

This video is leading some people to believe that Florida's Governor DeSantis, who has made a lot of news with his strong support of the Covid-19 virus and its variants, has almost disappeared from view lately because the virus is not as loyal to him as he is to it. Here you can see him struggling to breathe while trying to give a maskless speech. If you're short on time, skip to the 1 minute mark where you can see him fail at an attempt to inhale. You can watch the entire video if you want to see him nearly cry with the strain of trying to breathe.

Unfortunately for him, he's committed to the act. Like Herman Cain.

I've gotta reassess some priors here: if you downplay covid in public and take every precaution in private, then it's an act. If you just don't take it seriously either as a public official or as an individual then it's not really an 'act', you're just a dumbass.

I think it's time to take a serious look at the possibility that a lot of these people who have somehow wormed their way into public life aren't actually grifters as I think most people assume, they really are exactly as stupid as they appear.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Not taking Covid seriously is also a form of virtue signalling. That might even include not taking vaccines if you're worried about the public finding out.

It's just so weird to think that this is actually a smart Republican:

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's just so weird to think that this is actually a smart Republican:
    Damn, it sounds like he's recovering. I was rooting for him to get a Herman Cain award.

Supreme court has chosen to side with Covid, protecting the rights of the virus to spread as freely as it likes. Predicatably a 6-3 decision. I guess we'll wait and see whether this opens the door for other diseases to challenge regulations. I'm sure all those food handling rules are pretty oppressive.

Based on the wording of the decision, I'd actually like to see Biden just drop the "over 100 employees" bit since that was apparently so offensive, and just require every employee in the nation to be vaccinated or tested.

edit: Yes Fuzzy, I am aware that would never work.
    Last edited by Wraith; 01-13-2022 at 09:16 PM.