Page 2 of 127 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: covid-19

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Self isolating over here after a vacation or overseas work trip (or worse because you interacted with someone who just did that) is a good way to get fired.
    It was literally government, and our employer's, advice. Are employers over there really that psychotic?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It was literally government, and our employer's, advice. Are employers over there really that psychotic?
    I guess you can think of it as a self-limiting problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I guess you can think of it as a self-limiting problem.
    American capitalism will eat itself alive. They just can't help themselves. They're like feral animals or rabid dogs, thinking only of what benefits them in the moment.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Absolutely, everything is staffed at absolute minimums as corporations chase that dollar. Self-care is very much frowned on if it means some manager's day is made slightly more difficult.

My location had to call in help from another location just so I could take 3 days of required vacation time last week.

The white house had to go on record to clarify that yes, it's ok for schools to close due to fears of the virus spreading, because caring for your kids is also frowned on in the corporate world
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 03-02-2020 at 01:36 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Absolutely, everything is staffed at absolute minimums as corporations chase thÃ*t dollar. Self-care is very much frowned on if it means some manager's day is made slightly more difficult.

My location had to call in help from another location just so I could take 3 days of required vacation time last week.

The white house had to go on record to clarify that yes, it's ok for schools to close due to fears of the virus spreading, because caring for your kids is also frowned on in the corporate world
    Yeah, but it's not just self-care (she's working from home and didn't even want to do it, being stuck inside for two weeks is maddening), what do they think will happen if the coronavirus gets loose in their work force?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Self isolating over here after a vacation or overseas work trip (or worse because you interacted with someone who just did that) is a good way to get fired.

Right-to-work bitches!
    It's mandatory in my company. You're not allowed to come to work if you've been to a risk area, unless you have explicit permission and a medical check. We're also working on a project setting up a new production site in China which is problematic since nobody from China is allowed to visit any facility now.

My coworker hasn't been to a risk area but has been in close contact with two people who tested positive.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

what do they think will happen if the coronavirus gets loose in their work force?
    Here? Closures of "under" performing locations, relocations and firings to make room for new employees that can be paid the lower base wage.

I'm calling it right now, if this thing rampages across America there are going to be multiple at risk companies that follow that game plan, but keeping on this board's theme, Gamestop specifically.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Any decent employer wants to ensure their staff are fit and healthy. You don't want those who are seriously at risk of being contagious to come in. That's different to being serially unreliable because you throw sickies when you're not sick after a hangover to recuperate.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Any decent employer wants to ensure their staff are fit and healthy. You don't want those who are seriously at risk of being contagious to come in. That's different to being serially unreliable because you throw sickies when you're not sick after a hangover to recuperate.
    If being a decent employer made as much money as being a shitty employer, there'd be a lot less shitty employers around.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

*cough*

If being a decent employer made as much money as being a shitty employer, there'd be a lot less shitty employers around.
    It does. Shitty employers see their decent employees quit so they only get crap employees. Good employers with good employees makes for better business.

How much experience do you have of being an employer? Have you found it better to be good or crap to your employees?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

6 deaths now in Seattle.

This is out of control in the USA. It takes 7-10 days before the symptoms reach a peak and these are people that were completely off the radar not even known to be sick.

Dr. Matt McCarthy, a staff physician at New York-Presbyterian:

“I’m here to tell you, right now, at one of the busiest hospitals in the country, I don’t have [a rapid diagnostic test] at my finger tips.” “I still have to make my case, plead to test people. This is not good. We know that there are 88 cases in the United States. There are going to be hundreds by middle of week. There’s going to be thousands by next week. And this is a testing issue.”

“In New York State, the person who tested positive is only the 32nd test we’ve done in this state,” he said. “That is a national scandal. [...] They’re testing 10,000 a day in some countries and we can’t get this off the ground,” McCarthy said. “I’m a practitioner on the firing line, and I don’t have the tools to properly care for patients today.” (Video, CNBC)
    WTF!?

America is a very rich third world country.

WTF!?

America is a very rich third world country.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post

*cough*
    *whistles innocently*

That 43 total is total codswallop.

That 43 total is total codswallop.
    Note what's missing in the second screenshot.

I noticed it straight away.

I decided to work from home for the rest of the week. Which has the added advantage that I have two hours every day I don't need to commute but which I can use to walk outside with Bella. We've got this really nice pond not too far away which takes about 1,5 hours to walk around.

I've got a cold by the way, but it feels like a regular nose cold.
    Congratulations America

It does. Shitty employers see their decent employees quit so they only get crap employees. Good employers with good employees makes for better business.

How much experience do you have of being an employer? Have you found it better to be good or crap to your employees?
    So, what's more likely, that pretty much every multinational has missed a trick or that they ran the numbers and worked out it's better to just take the higher turn over rate? Or just realize the majority of their staff have no real alternative, for whatever reason?
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

So with the reported deaths in Seattle my father went into his old survival nut mode. Not as bad as during that Ebola outbreak, he didn't buy a bunch of guns and dehydrated food supplies, but he insisted I spend my free afternoon helping him buy loads of long-lasting or easily-prepped food supplies and a massive stock of over-the-counter sickness supplies.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

With a case in my county the citizens have prepared in the only way they know how. Buying up all the hurricane supplies.

My entire county is out of toilet paper. I also saw a lady pushing an entire cart full of bananas, which I thought was a little on the nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    My entire county is out of toilet paper.
    will no one save us from this grimdark future
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Let's not go nuts; it wasn't confirmed that the virus was in the wild in the US until this last weekend. NYC has only one confirmed case so far, and it isn't known to be loose there.

Speaking of going nuts, all the US deaths so far have happened within 20 miles of me, so I'm starting my self-imposed quarantine today. I'll be reserving some of my supply of toilet paper to offer only to those who swear an oath of fealty to me in the coming post-apocalyptic society.

thread worthy of a read. Have I mentioned that the US is fucked?

Honestly, this escalated so quickly some confusion is to be expected. In the Seattle region specifically, this turned in to a full-on panic yesterday/today, so it's not surprising that facilities are currently overloaded and trying to triage patients. There's a ton of people who just developed psychosomatic coronavirus.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Let's not go nuts; it wasn't confirmed that the virus was in the wild in the US until this last weekend. NYC has only one confirmed case so far, and it isn't known to be loose there.

Speaking of going nuts, all the US deaths so far have happened within 20 miles of me, so I'm starting my self-imposed quarantine today. I'll be reserving some of my supply of toilet paper to offer only to those who swear an oath of fealty to me in the coming post-apocalyptic society.
    It was in the wild before then, you just weren't bothering to test your people at risk so it wasn't caught.

We've had 51 cases found so far from 18,000 tests - almost every single one of those 51 had got it overseas, brought it back with them and then because of being tested have been isolated until they get cured stopping this entering the wild.

We're doing more tests DAILY than the US has done to date, despite being a fraction of our size. If you were proportionately doing the same rate of tests the CDC would have done over 100k tests by now, not 500.