Page 28 of 44 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 811 to 840 of 1302

Thread: covid-19

  1. #811
    When in doubt, blame China. Or the last administration (Obama). Maybe blame the media, or the Deep State, yeah that sounds good. Anything to avoid taking responsibility or accountability for failures in leadership. That is the Trump Doctrine.

  2. #812
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    First US death happened at the second closest hospital to me. There've been another couple unexplained cases too, which means that the virus is in all likelihood now loose in the wild here, at least on the west coast.

    @Aimless: You should wait to decide about cancelling your April travel plans unless there's some penalty for late cancellation. By late April there's a good chance this whole thing will be over and it'll be safe to travel again.
    Time flies? Like I said, this virus is exposing our structural faults and flaws, especially in Public Health and Healthcare. Trump is acting "surprised" that African Americans have higher rates of death, even tho they have higher co-morbidity -- directly related to income and access disparities -- but he's gonna look into that.

    Just waiting for the crisis to hit (white) rural red states with crappy healthcare, his "base" voters who fit the same poverty metrics.
    Last edited by GGT; 04-08-2020 at 12:10 AM.

  3. #813
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    That's the impression that I'm getting - people keep comparing other countries numbers to Chinese numbers, for instance. I've seen it so often from so many places that I've been starting to wonder. A news report from Bloomberg I saw today about how China has completely defeated the virus was what prompted this - they got through the whole report without raising any doubts about the accuracy of their reported numbers.
    Major news organizations who complain too loudly about Chinese interpretation of events tend to have their press credentials withdrawn.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  4. #814
    A dog in Hong Kong and a tiger in the Bronx zoo have tested positive for covid-19. The only reason we know that is because journalists have been reporting *facts*. We don't know what that means for human health, or Public Health policy, but the Trump Doctrine is all about obfuscating *facts* and portraying the press/media as Fake News or part of the Deep State.

    Don't believe what you're reading or hearing, says the Dear Leader. And remember, only he can solve our problems!

  5. #815
    Is it possible that the conservative political establishment consists of actual morons?

    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  6. #816
    The Trump admin certainly is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  7. #817
    Trump is turning his pandemic, that has a projected death total of hundreds of thousands. into his personal $2 trillion slush fund.
    https://www.axios.com/trump-inspecto...44483d847.html
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  8. #818
    Pts no longer staying away from ER, and covid cases on the rise, so being on call is getting more challenging. Now, every little thing I do requires more consideration, more planning, and often much more time. It'll be a while before this starts to feel normal. Lot of reorganization at my hospital and we're now testing every patient that gets admitted irrespective of index of suspicion. Results still take far too long (usually not in until the following weekday). Serological tests haven't been rolled out yet, but there are large and growing supplies ready to be deployed upon official validation. Trials of convalescent plasma therapy starting. One thing I've been wondering about re. appropriate approach to ventilation in ICU-pts is being more widely discussed, with more evidence mounting that many of these pts don't have a typical ARDS phenotype, suggesting a possibility that rigid adherence to protocol-based approach for their treatment—as opposed to approach informed by physiology & clinical phenotype—may be doing harm. I don't want to be overly optimistic but think trials comparing different approaches to ventilation guided by clinical phenotype may have a great impact on outcomes in the absence of effective antiviral treatment & treatment of presumed cytokine storm.

    There's continuing—and slowly growing—disappointment in our ministry of public health, esp. in their inadequate—and dodgy—communication strategy; I'm concerned about their Trumpian framing of how our strategy should be evaluated. Swedish parliament has voted to give our minority govt. greater authority to implement lockdown measures, subject to ongoing evaluation; important move, but perhaps belated (although unlikely govt. would've implemented such measures without explicit recommendation from ministry of public health even if it had had the authority). Easter coming up, will be a lot of time spent with family. It turns out our baby daughter loves curry and hindi music—who knew?! Must remember to give ourselves opportunities to keep discovering who we are.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  9. #819
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    10,939
    Isn't it fairly normal to keep a patient with pneumonia in as upright a position as blood pressure will allow?
    Greece shows us that there is a kind of politician worse than the ones that break their election promises; the ones that keep their election promises.

  10. #820
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Isn't it fairly normal to keep a patient with pneumonia in as upright a position as blood pressure will allow?
    Normally maybe.

    Everything I've read has said that putting patients with Covid-19 in a prone position (lying face down) is far better for their survival odds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  11. #821
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Pts no longer staying away from ER, and covid cases on the rise, so being on call is getting more challenging. Now, every little thing I do requires more consideration, more planning, and often much more time. It'll be a while before this starts to feel normal. Lot of reorganization at my hospital and we're now testing every patient that gets admitted irrespective of index of suspicion. Results still take far too long (usually not in until the following weekday). Serological tests haven't been rolled out yet, but there are large and growing supplies ready to be deployed upon official validation. Trials of convalescent plasma therapy starting. One thing I've been wondering about re. appropriate approach to ventilation in ICU-pts is being more widely discussed, with more evidence mounting that many of these pts don't have a typical ARDS phenotype, suggesting a possibility that rigid adherence to protocol-based approach for their treatment—as opposed to approach informed by physiology & clinical phenotype—may be doing harm. I don't want to be overly optimistic but think trials comparing different approaches to ventilation guided by clinical phenotype may have a great impact on outcomes in the absence of effective antiviral treatment & treatment of presumed cytokine storm.

    There's continuing—and slowly growing—disappointment in our ministry of public health, esp. in their inadequate—and dodgy—communication strategy; I'm concerned about their Trumpian framing of how our strategy should be evaluated. Swedish parliament has voted to give our minority govt. greater authority to implement lockdown measures, subject to ongoing evaluation; important move, but perhaps belated (although unlikely govt. would've implemented such measures without explicit recommendation from ministry of public health even if it had had the authority). Easter coming up, will be a lot of time spent with family. It turns out our baby daughter loves curry and hindi music—who knew?! Must remember to give ourselves opportunities to keep discovering who we are.
    Good luck. It's unfortunate that doctors and nurses have to pay the price for government incompetence. I expected more from the Swedish government.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  12. #822
    Brits still partying like it's 1999 ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Beeb
    Coronavirus: Greater Manchester Police warning after 660 parties shut down



    Greater Manchester Police has warned people not to breach lockdown rules over Easter after it had to break up 660 parties last weekend.

    Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said "each and every one of us need take this seriously".

    There were 1,132 coronavirus-related breaches reported between Saturday and Tuesday, the force said.

    That included 494 house parties - some with DJs, fireworks and bouncy castles - and 166 street parties.

    One woman in Bury became the first person in Greater Manchester to be charged under the Coronavirus Act 2020 after police had to repeatedly shut down one of the parties.

    The force also had to deal with 122 different groups gathering to play sports, 173 more gatherings in parks and 112 incidents of anti-social behaviour and public disorder.
    Fucking street parties?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

    And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

  13. #823
    Bloody Manc idiots.

    This is not the time to be 24 Hour Party People.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  14. #824
    Some of our media is getting bloody stupid. Sky keep spending half their time it seems wondering who is in charge of the country or why we don't have a deputy PM when not only has it been said that Raab is in charge but that if Raab is incapacitated then next in line to take over is the Chancellor, Rishi Sunak.

    I hate to knock the media but this is just trite nonsense and a waste of everybodies time and breath. It would be good if the media started sending medical correspondents who know what they're talking about rather than political correspondents to some of the press conferences.
    Quote Originally Posted by From elsewhere
    Media: Who is in charge?

    Dominic Raab, and the cabinet

    Media: OK but who is in charge?

    Dominic Raab, and the cabinet

    Media: yes, but, who is REALLY in CHARGE though?

    Dominic Raab, and the cabinet

    *media reports story*

    POWER VACUUM AS QUESTIONS ASKED OVER WHO IS IN CHARGE
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  15. #825
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    10,939
    The real issue is that they don't trust the speakers any longer. Are you very surprised?
    Greece shows us that there is a kind of politician worse than the ones that break their election promises; the ones that keep their election promises.

  16. #826
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    The real issue is that they don't trust the speakers any longer. Are you very surprised?
    Repeatedly asking the same question only to get the same answer isn't clever.

    Seperately this is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  17. #827
    This moron is running Florida...
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ron-d...f?guccounter=1

    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  18. #828
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Just stepped outside for the 'clap for carers' and been told by a neighbour that my next door neighbour (who is an OAP who was shielding and scared of getting the virus) has been taken into hospital and confirmed positive with the virus and is currently getting treatment. She's been taken off the ventilator though so that's progress, fingers crossed for her.
    She's back home and healthy. Just spoke to her (from our respective doorways) at this week's clap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  19. #829
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    She's back home and healthy. Just spoke to her (from our respective doorways) at this week's clap.
    That's good to hear.

    I'm pretty scared. It feels like only a matter of when and not if I get it. I'm still having chemotherapy, thankfully, as I'm lucky enough to have it privately and at home; however it does mean nurse visits. These nurses go all around the region and come into contact with lots of people. They've recently been wearing PPE but it's still a massive worry. They have to ask people whether they show any symptoms in a call before they visit, but some morons haven't been honest and the nurse today said she saw somebody a few days ago with a cough and high temp. That's not uncommon with cancer patients, and they think it was a chest infection, but it defo feels like it's coming my way.

    If/when I do get it I'm probably done for as I can't see how my body will be able to fight it (after 16 cycles and nearly 12 months of chemo.) I wonder what will be a nicer way to go. On sedation with a ventilator, relatively quickly, or the last stages of cancer. Dark thoughts, but thankfully there's a new Red Dwarf on in a few mins

  20. #830
    Best wishes Gogo that you avoid it and for the treatment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  21. #831

  22. #832
    All strength to you Gogo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

    And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

  23. #833
    Senior Member Flixy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,926
    Take care, Gogo.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

  24. #834

  25. #835
    Senior Member Flixy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,926
    https://www.npr.org/2020/04/11/83217...19-supplies-go

    Firms partnering on the Airbridge flights tell NPR that under their agreement with the White House and FEMA, roughly half the medical equipment in those deliveries is theirs to sell however they like. The other half will be shipped to COVID-19 hotspots but not necessarily to the worst-hit hospitals. Once again, supplies go to existing customers.
    That doesn't really sound to me like how a federal system distributing emergency supplies should work..
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

  26. #836
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  27. #837
    You snooze, you lose.

    I hope some lessons can be learned from this once the dust has settled, but I'm not hopeful.
    Sticks and stones take a toll on me but they aren't your strongest weaponry
    You can take your shots but you'd best prepare, I can see smoke rising in the air
    Every move has a counteract, to turn the tides with a planned attack
    You push me down and the rest will rise but first I'm singing a battle cry

  28. #838
    Johnson discharged from hospital and from what he and Carrie are saying it sounds like it was very touch and go with his survival in ICU. Glad he pulled through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  29. #839
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    You snooze, you lose.

    I hope some lessons can be learned from this once the dust has settled, but I'm not hopeful.
    Any lesson will be based on complex statistical models and we know how likely people are to understand them, let alone to accept their results.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  30. #840
    The message of lockdown early is a simple though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

    And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •