Page 34 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 3792

Thread: covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Factor two difference is pretty much in line with previous numbers, and with other countries right? Not sure why those numbers surprise him.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

1) As seen by Florida, if you shut down one state all those people do is flee to other states that haven't taken proper precautions.
    2) A good number of surgeries are performed by traveling doctors, so even if your hospital is "empty" (which is a bullshit claim), doesn't mean you're going to have the staff on hand to continue a normal schedule. My mom's throat and mouth doctor was in his local office 5 days a month.
    3) Our for profit healthcare system is forcing hospitals to furlough workers so they can weather the curve when it does arrive.
    4) You're an idiot.
    1. Don't be ridiculous, most people don't have the means or desire to just get up and switch states at the drop of a hat.

2. Empty was hyperbolic however a lot of medical resources have been idle.

3. What? That doesn't make any sense, if they are paid by procedure why would they furlough people? That doesn't make them money.

Now to clarify I'm not suggesting that all restrictions were bad. I'm saying that they should be geographically targeted. If Dallas has a lot of cases but El Paso doesn't, why should El Paso live with the same restrictions? The whole idea of "just in case we get a bunch of cases we'll cancel all non emergency situations" is stupid. If there's a spike you can then cancel everything as needed but there hasn't been one in my local community.

I also think there should be a greater awareness that actions too extreme not only diminishes quality of life but can COST people's lives. Delayed surgeries, delayed screenings and testings, the whole "mental wellness" shit Democrats always like talking about, potential disruptions in the supply chain as the lock down continues, possible spikes in domestic violence etc etc. There's a sweet spot where risk is minimized on both ends. The idea of a full lock down until a vaccine exists is not a workable reality. And until a vaccine exists we will have Covid cases around the country. So what should be done? The answer is what we are starting to see. Some of the more extreme restrictions being lifted and an increase in testing. And btw it isn't just states like TX and FL, Europe is starting to lift some restrictions as well. This is not an all or nothing approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    1. Don't be ridiculous, most people don't have the means or desire to just get up and switch states at the drop of a hat.

2. Empty was hyperbolic however a lot of medical resources have been idle.

3. What? That doesn't make any sense, if they are paid by procedure why would they furlough people? That doesn't make them money.
    1. We literally have a term for these people they are so numerous. Snowbirds. And we aren't even talking about season long changes, driving a few hours for a surgery is hardly switching states.

2 and 3. You have no idea how the medical field works. This is a hilarious, but expected, level of ignorance from you.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

1. We literally have a term for these people they are so numerous. Snowbirds. And we aren't even talking about season long changes, driving a few hours for a surgery is hardly switching states.

2 and 3. You have no idea how the medical field works. This is a hilarious, but expected, level of ignorance from you.
    https://www.texastribune.org/2020/04...s-budget-cuts/

3) Our for profit healthcare system is forcing hospitals to furlough workers so they can weather the curve when it does arrive.
    4) You're an idiot.
    Your own link says, several times, the same thing I did. Hospitals fat on for profit healthcare pricing now find them themselves shit out of luck when facing an actual pandamic.
    Thanks?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

On the topic of quiet hospitals, I have friends working in the NHS who say that currently their workload is much less than it normally is. Not simply due to lockdown though - the NHS is still open to emergencies (that was the point of lockdown, to protect it so that those who needed it still could) but visits to the emergency wards have collapsed. I always thought most visitors to our A&E wards were never emergencies but yes apparently far, far fewer non-virus people are going to hospital than normal. So in parts of the country where there aren't that many virus patients (or for doctors/nurses not working related to virus work) they are much quieter than normal.

Non-emergency work has been affected by lockdown, most GP surgeries have effectively closed. I had a blood test scheduled that was cancelled. But in normal circumstances difficulty seeing a GP would cause people to go to A&E instead, but right now people are staying well clear if they can.

OTOH doctors/nurses in ICU etc can be very, very busy and stressed right now.

I'm curious Aimless if its similar where you are? Are your colleagues having a mixed bag of experience right now?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    On the topic of quiet hospitals, I have friends working in the NHS who say that currently their workload is much less than it normally is. Not simply due to lockdown though - the NHS is still open to emergencies (that was the point of lockdown, to protect it so that those who needed it still could) but visits to the emergency wards have collapsed. I always thought most visitors to our A&E wards were never emergencies but yes apparently far, far fewer non-virus people are going to hospital than normal. So in parts of the country where there aren't that many virus patients (or for doctors/nurses not working related to virus work) they are much quieter than normal.

Non-emergency work has been affected by lockdown, most GP surgeries have effectively closed. I had a blood test scheduled that was cancelled. But in normal circumstances difficulty seeing a GP would cause people to go to A&E instead, but right now people are staying well clear if they can.

OTOH doctors/nurses in ICU etc can be very, very busy and stressed right now.my
    My neighbour and friend whom I mentioned before that is an A&E doctor at St Thomas's in London has said that whilst they aren't working on normal A&E caseload due to priority being given to Covid-19 as you say, they are equally working on those Covid cases, and are equally busy because of that.

What he has also said, which is contrary to the general impression given by the media, is that they are not more busy because of Covid. There are no extra shifts that he nor his colleagues nor his nursing staff are having to take - their normal shift allocation of resources is enough to cope with current demands due to Covid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

The worrying thing is of course that people don't visit a doctor or hospital when they should, because either they're afraid or don't want to be a burden on the healthcare system now. For example, cancer diagnosis have dropped dramatically, but I highly doubt there are actually fewer cases, and that kind if thing you want to diagnose early. Same goes for example for complaints that indicate heart disease.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    My neighbour and friend whom I mentioned before that is an A&E doctor at St Thomas's in London has said that whilst they aren't working on normal A&E caseload due to priority being given to Covid-19 as you say, they are equally working on those Covid cases, and are equally busy because of that.

What he has also said, which is contrary to the general impression given by the media, is that they are not more busy because of Covid. There are no extra shifts that he nor his colleagues nor his nursing staff are having to take - their normal shift allocation of resources is enough to cope with current demands due to Covid.
    That makes sense, your friend is in London - and at a major hospital in London too. Wasn't St Thomas's where the PM was treated?

My friends I referred to are not in London where the COVID caseload is much higher as a share of population but the A&E caseload has collapsed without the same increase in COVID as has been seen in London.

That normal shift allocation of resources is being able to cope with this even in London is good news.

I imagine there might be a similar distinction in other nations. EG I believe in Sweden the statistical difference between Stockholm and the rest of Sweden is quite significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Generous estimate of the average annual number of flu deaths in the US for the past five years is roughly 42,000 per year (towards the higher end of estimates). Official covid death toll in the US now over 56,000 (not counting probably tens of thousands of deaths that have not been correctly attributed to covid due to lack of testing). So I now feel confident about choosing option C: Lewk is a dumbass.

You're a dumbass, Lewk. Sorry mate, that's just how this played out.
    The most aggressive flu season of the past decade was 2018/2019 which killed 61,000 over 6 months. Covid-19 deaths in the US will blow past that number either today or tomorrow, in just over a month.

I think you might need to go to dumbass gaol, Lewk. Might seem harsh, but I think you'll agree a policy of deterrence is the most effective way of preventing future dumbassary.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Interestingly it seems that Sweden without a lockdown and the UK with one both peaked on the same day. 8 April.

Hope there's no second peak but that seems a strange coincidence.

The deathtoll in my country doubled to ten this week. All from a single nursing home and rehabi center about three blocks from my (former) home. Last week that center had reported six Covid cases. As of yesterday evening it was reporting 94.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

How big is that nursing home?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    The deathtoll in my country doubled to ten this week. All from a single nursing home and rehabi center about three blocks from my (former) home. Last week that center had reported six Covid cases. As of yesterday evening it was reporting 94.
    Almost all of the deaths in my town are from nursing or assisted living facilities - 14 deaths at the one just down the block from me. It's pretty bad.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    How big is that nursing home?
    IIRC they had about 50-60 staff and residents/patients who have tested negative (so far) and another 90-100 whose tests weren't back yet as of the time of publishing. So about 250 or so?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    IIRC they had about 50-60 staff and residents/patients who have tested negative (so far) and another 90-100 whose tests weren't back yet as of the time of publishing. So about 250 or so?
    That seems large!

One criticism I will make of what is happening in this country, which I haven't seen much-reported in the media, is that the NHS is discharging COVID-positive patients to care homes. That seems utterly bonkers and should be halted as a process IMO. Temporary care homes for the COVID-positive to be discharged to, possibly set up in hotels etc that are currently empty, would be a much smarter idea I think.

I don't understand why nobody is talking about this but it is a terrible idea that should stop.

It might be because Florida seems to be the nursing home capital of the world but that's on the smaller side of average. When I did my eagle scout project I interacted with 300 residents in one single story home. We have several nursing homes we hit on our mobile library rounds that are full blown mini communities with fresh food markets and all. Not all nursing homes are bed ridden vegetable gardens.

Your own link says, several times, the same thing I did. Hospitals fat on for profit healthcare pricing now find them themselves shit out of luck when facing an actual pandamic.
    Thanks?
    Because most medical procedures aren't emergency care. And many city ordinances and state orders are putting a hold on non emergency care so much so that medical care workers are being furloughed in the middle of a pandemic. And you think that's OK?

Is Mr. "We Won't have any cases by the end of April" really the person you want to be promoting?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Happy 100th Birthday to Captain (now Colonel) Tom: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...herts-52472132

Really curious about what these "open america now" fuckers think is going to happen to the economy if they have an unconstrained pandemic over there.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

It'd be the Great Boomer Remover. Jobs would finally start to open up for Millennials now that the Boomers are out of the way. Land prices would fall since the owners all died, and houses would be affordable again. Our social security crisis would be averted. There'd be nobody left to vote Republican.

I mean, I'm sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    It'd be the Great Boomer Remover. Jobs would finally start to open up for Millennials now that the Boomers are out of the way. Land prices would fall since the owners all died, and houses would be affordable again. Our social security crisis would be averted. There'd be nobody left to vote Republican.

I mean, I'm sold.
    A disproportionate number of people dying are black. Might have something to do with the response.

It is interesting that the virus does seem to target minorities as well as the elderly. Though I'm not sure if that's controlled for comorbidities? I believe blacks are more likely to have diabetes.

It has a disproportionate impact even controlling for those.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    It has a disproportionate impact even controlling for those.
    A doctor friend says it has something to do with ACE-receptors being different between the races but I must admit I don't fully understand it.

Glad to see the ramp up in testing here. I've advocated testing and tracking and tracing all thread long and with over 81k tests in the past 24 hours we're getting there. If we can keep the lockdown for a bit longer to contain the virus more and have the testing up over 100k per day then it should be possible to end the lockdown sooner rather than later.

My wife and all her colleagues were given details today on how to get a test if they think they should need it.