Page 46 of 127 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 3792

Thread: covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Is population density the same in NY and GA?

Idiot.
    Shh. Anything Dem is baaaaaaaad. Anything GOP is gooooooood.

If comparing Covid in a rural backwater Georgia having a population density of 183 folk per square mile with a metropolitan NY having a population density of 26,403 (in fact the densest of all American cities) folk per square mile allows him to point the finger at the Dems for ... I dunno ... mismanagement or summink ... then it's all the more continued amusement for this board.

~

In fact, we can play with this.

NY has a population density 144.3 times greater than Georgia. With that factored in, Georgia at 22 deaths per 100k is nearly 12 times worse than NY's 157 deaths per 100k.

12 times worse. WTF is that GOP hell-hole doing with only 183 folk per square mile, when New Yorkers are rubbing shoulders at 26,403 of them per square mile, and yet Georgians are being killed at 12 times the rate per 100k population??

Last edited by Timbuk2; 06-15-2020 at 01:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Shh. Anything Dem is baaaaaaaad. Anything GOP is gooooooood.

If comparing Covid in a rural backwater Georgia having a population density of 183 folk per square mile with a metropolitan NY having a population density of 26,403 (in fact the densest of all American cities) folk per square mile allows him to point the finger at the Dems for ... I dunno ... mismanagement or summink ... then it's all the more continued amusement for this board.

~

In fact, we can play with this.

NY has a population density 144.3 times greater than Georgia. With that factored in, Georgia at 22 deaths per 100k is nearly 12 times worse than NY's 157 deaths per 100k.

12 times worse. WTF is that GOP hell-hole doing with only 183 folk per square mile, when New Yorkers are rubbing shoulders at 26,403 of them per square mile, and yet Georgians are being killed at 12 times the rate per 100k population??

While I agree with the gist of what you are trying to get across, using obviously bad numbers to refute an obviously bad argument seems pretty silly. Comparing the population of the whole of Georgia to the population of NYC doesn't seem exactly like an apples to apples comparison. Looking at a city like Atlanta might be a better comparison, and there the population density is about 7 times less. Now how the virus spreads and scales with regard to population density is unknown, (though places like Hong Kong seem to have escaped much of the scourge with a similar density) but I think it is fairly safe to say that NYC and likely New York made some fairly serious missteps early on in their handling of the pandemic. Some of those probably could have been avoided, some of those were likely due to incomplete or incorrect information, but to use an univariate analysis for pandemic spread, let alone an analysis where your only variable is population density, seems like a fools errand.

Y'all don't seem to realize that this is not about numbers or policies but about Lewk's desire to cast less backward ways of life as being bad. It's like those people who have fascinating scientific explanations for why Indian food doesn't taste good and is bad for you. Had he been born in another time, he would've been making snarky comments about trains and cars were making people stupid because the human brain wasn't equipped to handle travel at such high speeds. Team Red Good, Team Blue Bad.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    While I agree with the gist of what you are trying to get across, using obviously bad numbers to refute an obviously bad argument seems pretty silly. Comparing the population of the whole of Georgia to the population of NYC doesn't seem exactly like an apples to apples comparison. Looking at a city like Atlanta might be a better comparison, and there the population density is about 7 times less. Now how the virus spreads and scales with regard to population density is unknown, (though places like Hong Kong seem to have escaped much of the scourge with a similar density) but I think it is fairly safe to say that NYC and likely New York made some fairly serious missteps early on in their handling of the pandemic. Some of those probably could have been avoided, some of those were likely due to incomplete or incorrect information, but to use an univariate analysis for pandemic spread, let alone an analysis where your only variable is population density, seems like a fools errand.
    You took that seriously? Of course it isn't apples to apples - it's apples to fruit salad. That's the entire point: hurf durf NYC is worse than Georgia because per capita death rate. Hurf durf Georgia is worse than NYC because lower population density.

There are a million other variables in the fruit salad that come into play, and so using one single apple to make comparisons between states or indeed other countries is mind-numbingly silly.

But in Lewk's funny little world - NYC is Dem therefore it got it wrong. Pick any apple off the tree which gives you that outcome and it's fine.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    You took that seriously? Of course it isn't apples to apples - it's apples to fruit salad. That's the entire point: hurf durf NYC is worse than Georgia because per capita death rate. Hurf durf Georgia is worse than NYC because lower population density.

There are a million other variables in the fruit salad that come into play, and so using one single apple to make comparisons between states or indeed other countries is mind-numbingly silly.

But in Lewk's funny little world - NYC is Dem therefore it got it wrong. Pick any apple off the tree which gives you that outcome and it's fine.
    Regardless of Lewk's world, it is very likely that there were policies in NYC that were not helpful if not actively harmful in battling the pandemic. Ignoring that because Lewk is harping on about the party identity of the mayor and governor is silly.

Looks like we have a new high score

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Positive news about Dexamethasone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Not all, just the overwhelming majority of them it seems.

Some Republican legislators have a conscience and hopefully the GOP gets a severe thumping this November and the few with a conscience can take the party back.

This is what a decent Republican legislator should look like, with a mask and supporting a good cause:
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Mandatory mask ordinance in effect for my home city starting Friday.

The public is losing their damn minds over it, idiots.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

The media are losing their minds over here about the idea of quarantine saying "but what about holidays".

How about holiday at home? We're close to defeating the virus here, it makes sense considering we are an island to do what New Zealand did any ensure that people are quarantined once that's done.

Increasing hints the two metre rule will be reduced to a one metre rule on 4 July when pubs are expected to reopen.

Florida has fucked up so bad sports teams are fleeing to New York.
    https://www.abcactionnews.com/sports...adily-increase

The bucs, Phillies and lightning also all have positive cases now from training in the Tampa Bay area.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    In fairness, it looks like he's telling a joke
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Trump IS the joke.

Belgium 848.88
    United Kingdom 641.19
    Spain 606.18
    Italy 573.11
    Sweden 496.21
    USA 366.19
    Netherlands 353.43
    Ireland 353.35
    Ecuador 247.19

Updated deaths per million as of 06/22.

My son and I got tested last week. Super easy. Made appointments the day before and went thru the Rite Aid drive-up window. Showed our photo ID, confirmed our client numbers, did our own nasal swabs. No charge. Should get the results soon. My only complaint is that I had to create a g-mail account.

Trump is wrong about testing and stats. If he really wanted the US to "look good", he wouldn't be telling 'his people' to slow down testing. And Lewk is just admitting that death tolls are being used as a metric, because testing isn't consistent or reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Belgium 848.88
    United Kingdom 641.19
    Spain 606.18
    Italy 573.11
    Sweden 496.21
    USA 366.19
    Netherlands 353.43
    Ireland 353.35
    Ecuador 247.19

Updated deaths per million as of 06/22.
    Once again this isn't some sort of competitive league table you morbid moron.

But if you wish to make comparisons then consider this: Population density per square mile
    Belgium 970
    United Kingdom 1010
    United States of America 84

Bit of a difference. Though of course *touch wood* the virus seems to be coming under control across Europe now, but it isn't in the USA so regrettably your figures are going to continue to rise. Europe will be quarantining Americans for some time to come to prevent the virus coming back to this side of the pond I expect.

Once again this isn't some sort of competitive league table you morbid moron.

But if you wish to make comparisons then consider this: Population density per square mile
    Belgium 970
    United Kingdom 1010
    United States of America 84

Bit of a difference. Though of course *touch wood* the virus seems to be coming under control across Europe now, but it isn't in the USA so regrettably your figures are going to continue to rise. Europe will be quarantining Americans for some time to come to prevent the virus coming back to this side of the pond I expect.
    Plus the difference in reporting between countries, but we've been over that. Belgium for example includes more cases than most countries in their reporting, so the number might actually be close to the USA's.

But yeah, the main problem is that cases are dropping all over Europe, but increasing again in the USA.

Case in point: about one week ago the USA was still below the Netherlands in that per capita list.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Plus the difference in reporting between countries, but we've been over that. Belgium for example includes more cases than most countries in their reporting, so the number might actually be close to the USA's.

But yeah, the main problem is that cases are dropping all over Europe, but increasing again in the USA.

Case in point: about one week ago the USA was still below the Netherlands in that per capita list.
    The difference between how countries are reporting data is absolutely staggering.

Spain's data for example is as useless as a chocolate fireguard - they're only counting deaths that were reported within the past 24 hours, if they died within the past 24 hours.

The UK (and Belgium) I believe have been testing corpses and the daily death figures includes deaths dating back to March.

Today the UK reported over 100 deaths but of those only 6 were yesterday, the Spanish would have announced 6.

States in the USA are treating this as a political issue rather than trying to get as much information as possible to fight this as best as possible.

the virus seems to be coming under control across Europe now, but it isn't in the USA so regrettably your figures are going to continue to rise. E
    Indeed. Virus is undergoing an upswing in the US.

Click to view the full version

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-upda...ation-metrics/

Houston is projected to run out of ICU beds within 2 weeks.

Our emergency operations shut down and sent home all customer service reps cause they found a positive case in the building.

This has already caused a cascading failure in other departments from trash pickup to covid test scheduling. My county is fucked.

Our emergency operations shut down and sent home all customer service reps cause they found a positive case in the building.

This has already caused a cascading failure in other departments from trash pickup to covid test scheduling. My county is fucked.
    Don't worry your genius President has found a huge way to cut COVID cases: abolish testing.

As other nations try and squash the virus by testing and tracing, your President has realised he can eliminate the virus by eliminating testing. Then nobody has the virus and the problem goes away!

This is why we need to build fewer prisoners and more mental hospitals.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I. . . that. . . they. . .

Ok, that's some peak Florida there.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Winning!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I. . . that. . . they. . .

Ok, that's some peak Florida there.
    The voice of the people

The covid crisis has caused something with my work that I can't entirely fathom; while my collegues are swamped in work, I barely have anything to do. For example, this week I had enough work to keep me busy for one single work day. The rest of my time I used do support work for my collegues. We all should have roughly the same workload. But in reality mine is 1/4 of theirs. Which I can only attribute to me achieving a higher level of efficiency.
    Congratulations America