Page 5 of 127 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: covid-19

*smash head into desk*

WTF America?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Trump denies official coronavirus death rate based on his 'hunch' and suggests people with deadly virus can go to work
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9376756.html

A hunch, we have a literal Lewk in the white house
    Trump is an idiot and completely incapable of making a coherent point, but I actually think the criticism of him on this one is mistargeted. The issue isn't what he was trying to say, the issue is the messaging from this administration. I believe he was probably trying to get across a point that had been made to him at some point: because we have not identified all of the cases (especially given the delays in large scale testing), the apparent death rate may be substantially higher than the real death rate. He's almost certainly correct. (I suspect that some of his earlier gaffes - e.g. about flu shots - were similarly garbled translations from his advisers describing interventions that might help those at risk, including certain antivirals and vaccines against secondary bacterial pneumonia. He's not doing it on purpose, he just doesn't listen closely and has no sense of the importance of conveying accurate information.)

Furthermore, if you read between his (admittedly garbled) meandering afterwards, I don't think he was suggesting people go to work with coronavirus, but that there probably were people who felt at most mildly ill with the disease who did go to work, and they were none the wiser.

The issue isn't that he's making bad recommendations or contradicting the available data. The issue is that his messaging downplays the severity of the disease at a time when containment is of paramount importance. More broadly, the administration has clearly been engaging in a lot of PR and CYA rather than, you know, providing information people could trust and clear messaging about the plan moving forward. This is very, very bad, but we need to be careful not wasting our time criticizing Trump for the wrong things.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Thanks Wiggin. I typed up something similar myself this afternoon but my browser ate it and trying to explain what Trump was actually saying despite his crappy messaging wasn't something I cared enough about to do a second time.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Thanks Wiggin. I typed up something similar myself this afternoon but my browser ate it and trying to explain what Trump was actually saying despite his crappy messaging wasn't something I cared enough about to do a second time.
    That's the problem though. Trump is listened to, so what he says - versus what he means - matters. Which is why Trump's insistence on putting himself and Pence as the voices for this to America to be listened to is so inane. I thought your medical advice normally went from the Surgeon General (is that the right title?) - that is who Trump should be pushing front and centre, that is who he should be standing next to and getting to answer the questions.

Our equivalent is the Chief Medical Officer, Professor Chris Whitty, and he is the one who is leading the UK's response to this - not an equivalent of Pence. When Boris appears on the media he appears with Whitty and he gets Whitty to answer the medical questions.

Boris I believe has recognised he's not a medical officer he's a leader and he wants to lead by knowing who to select as the right person to deal with this. Trump and Pence have a fundamental desire to put themselves forwards and are more bothered with the stock market than medicine, so they're not deferring to experts in the CDC or the Surgeon General or anyone else.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Trump is an idiot and completely incapable of making a coherent point, but I actually think the criticism of him on this one is mistargeted. The issue isn't what he was trying to say, the issue is the messaging from this administration. I believe he was probably trying to get across a point that had been made to him at some point: because we have not identified all of the cases (especially given the delays in large scale testing), the apparent death rate may be substantially higher than the real death rate. He's almost certainly correct. (I suspect that some of his earlier gaffes - e.g. about flu shots - were similarly garbled translations from his advisers describing interventions that might help those at risk, including certain antivirals and vaccines against secondary bacterial pneumonia. He's not doing it on purpose, he just doesn't listen closely and has no sense of the importance of conveying accurate information.)

Furthermore, if you read between his (admittedly garbled) meandering afterwards, I don't think he was suggesting people go to work with coronavirus, but that there probably were people who felt at most mildly ill with the disease who did go to work, and they were none the wiser.

The issue isn't that he's making bad recommendations or contradicting the available data. The issue is that his messaging downplays the severity of the disease at a time when containment is of paramount importance. More broadly, the administration has clearly been engaging in a lot of PR and CYA rather than, you know, providing information people could trust and clear messaging about the plan moving forward. This is very, very bad, but we need to be careful not wasting our time criticizing Trump for the wrong things.
    The mortality of the disease is not the issue here. The issue is that the health system of not a single country is going to be able to deal with the sheer numbers of sick people who will need medium or intensive care. Dealing with the dead will be a breeze compared to the logistic problem we're going to have with the living who belong to the 20%.
    Congratulations America

My entire region is now in quarantine until the end of the month. My company sent out a mail a couple days ago telling people not to come in if they can do their jobs from home, which is most of us. Reportedly all the major companies in the area have done the same, per the Governor's recommendation.

OK, so I was in my supermarket at lunch time and the toliet paper shelves were pretty much empty. Everything else is fine. Canned food, bottled water, all fine. Just toliet paper. What do people think they're going to do with all this toliet paper and no food or water?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Community is freaking out about a rumor that the local hospital has a positive Corona patient. It was confirmed last night which means the CDC won't comment on it till Monday cause they only report cases that were confirmed up till 4pm the day before, mon-fri.

Going to make for an interesting weekend.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 03-06-2020 at 04:50 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Community is freaking out about a rumor that the local hospital has a positive Corona patient. It was confirmed last night which means the CDC won't comment on it till Monday cause they only report cases that were confirmed up till 4pm the day before, mon-fri.

Going to make for an interesting weekend.
    Bloody idiotic policy. Ours is seven days a week reporting from for cases until 9am that morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    OK, so I was in my supermarket at lunch time and the toliet paper shelves were pretty much empty. Everything else is fine. Canned food, bottled water, all fine. Just toliet paper. What do people think they're going to do with all this toliet paper and no food or water?
    From craigslist:
    Click to view the full version

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Bloody idiotic policy. Ours is seven days a week reporting from for cases until 9am that morning.
    On top of that their tracking "does not include testing being done at state and local public health laboratories, which began this week."
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Doctor who treated first US coronavirus patient says COVID-19 has been ‘circulating unchecked’ for weeks
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/doct...for-weeks.html

A New York City man wasn't tested for the coronavirus even though he had symptoms and had gone to Japan. It highlights the troublingly limited scope of US testing.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/new-...r-cough-2020-3

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    From craigslist:
    Click to view the full version
    Wraith did you put this on Craigslist

No, I'm hoarding until I can sell mine at a higher price.

Its shocking.

I just noticed I've got six rolls in my apartment.

*3 weeks later*

"Do not, my friends, become addicted to toilet paper, it will take hold of you and you will resent it's absence"
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Trump's "messaging" is horrible and people should stop making excuses for him. He contradicts his own experts, says misleading things, and downright lies. Bad communication spreads like a virus too, and Trump has bungled his first real crisis.

And I don't get the toilet paper hoarding. That's just weird.

Anybody that needs a test gets a test and the tests are perfect:

"The world is relying on us"
    Then he calls Gov. Inslee a snake.

edit: Austin cancels SXSW conference and festivals.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    The mortality of the disease is not the issue here. The issue is that the health system of not a single country is going to be able to deal with the sheer numbers of sick people who will need medium or intensive care. Dealing with the dead will be a breeze compared to the logistic problem we're going to have with the living who belong to the 20%.
    I think that's called "surge capacity". And not even USA #1 is prepared to meet those needs.

It's a bright spot that babies and children don't seem to be major victims of covid-19. I can't imagine how bad things would be if they were....since we're not prepared for that, either.

How testing failures allowed coronavirus to sweep the U.S.
    The Trump administration’s decision to forgo a World Health Organization test and create its own had fateful consequences, experts say.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...ilure-123166?=

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9384541.html

A man has gone bar-hopping in order to spread the coronavirus after discovering he was infected, reports suggest.

Despite being asymptomatic, he tested positive at a hospital in the Japanese city of Gamagori on Wednesday after both of his parents contracted the virus, and was told to wait at home until space at a suitable medical facility could be found for him the following day.

Instead, Fuji News Network (FNN) reports he decided to visit two bars in the small coastal city after telling a family member: “I am going to spread the virus.”

Wtf. Take him out back and shoot him in the head. The kind of person who would deliberately try to spread disease like this doesn't need to be alive anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9384541.html

A man has gone bar-hopping in order to spread the coronavirus after discovering he was infected, reports suggest.

Despite being asymptomatic, he tested positive at a hospital in the Japanese city of Gamagori on Wednesday after both of his parents contracted the virus, and was told to wait at home until space at a suitable medical facility could be found for him the following day.

Instead, Fuji News Network (FNN) reports he decided to visit two bars in the small coastal city after telling a family member: “I am going to spread the virus.”

Wtf. Take him out back and shoot him in the head. The kind of person who would deliberately try to spread disease like this doesn't need to be alive anymore.
    Meh, it's basically just the flu, and your govt. basically did the same thing. Talk about double standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Meh, it's basically just the flu, and your govt. basically did the same thing. Talk about double standards.
    "Basically did the same thing" Riiiigggght.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    "Basically did the same thing" Riiiigggght.
    Your govt didn't have people work with infected patients without protection and then transport them back in a way that exposed hundreds of other people and then undermine efforts to track and quarantine infected people? Pretty sure your govt's actions have led to a greater number of infections than this man's scheme.

We had to pull an infected person out of a fucking mall, lewk is just projecting cause to him foreign people = less than human.