Page 72 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,160 of 3792

Thread: covid-19

The Dakotas, with their overwhelmingly rural population, are rapidly gaining on New York for deaths per capita.
    Last edited by Loki; 12-14-2020 at 03:50 AM.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    No, it is not; that was in reference to the counterfactual implied by your initial remarks about a two-week firebreaker—not the Welsh attempt, which you have been so irrationally interested in. The Welsh attempt, however, was nearly as late as Johnson's second lockdown—starting less than two weeks earlier—and both started far, far later than in September. I am aware the Welsh firebreaker lockdown did not start at the same time as Johnson's second lockdown—as is clear from my post. The focus of the article is the Johnson govt's unwise—and predictably disastrous—disregard for the scientific guidance re. the critical importance of early, decisive, pro-active restrictions—not the optimal duration of a lockdown.
    But the Johnson government did take actions at the timescales discussed. Early actions, the rule of 6 and other actions were introduced in September, Tiers in October, Lockdown in November. I know you have an irrational hatred of my countries Government but that doesn't change the facts or rewrite history.

After the disastrous failure of the Welsh firebreak (do you dispute it has been a disastrous failure) can you name a single country in the world anywhere that has been able to defeat COVID19 with a two week "circuit breaker"?

I'd have thought you'd know better than this. To defeat COVID19 doesn't take fads it takes tough actions consistently adopted to consistently keep R low.

PS if you wish to discuss other nations during the second wave have you considered looking at France and others? Or Wales or anywhere else in Europe? What is with your obsession over England?

You call it disastrous but the second wave cases per day peak has been below Wales (which did follow this irrational idea), France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Belgium and even I believe Germany!

Some "disaster".
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Vaccinating will be (another) big test for the US -- since *each state* decides who gets it first and how it's delivered.

CDC and NIH only make recommendations. And since we don't have a NHS, the HHS had to partner with private (for profit) Pharmacy chains for logistics, distribution & delivery. Another patchwork of 50 states doin' their own thing.

I've heard there's a glitch for many nursing home residents (related to late informed consent forms) that makes 12/21 the first day they're eligible. Here's hoping that's either incorrect or can be fixed ASAP, if true.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Top 10 countries deaths per million pop.

Belgium 1,540.57 - 380/km²
    Peru 1,122.69 - 26/km²
    Italy 1,038.62 - 201/km²
    Spain 1,005.68 - 92/km²
    North Macedonia 984.42 - 81/km²
    Bosnia and Herzegovina 969.1 - 64/km²
    United Kingdom¹ 942.4 - 279/km²
    Moldova 940.69 - 119/km²
    Slovenia 933.45 - 103/km²
    Argentina 899.69 - 16/km²
    Added population density.

United States - 35/km²

Notice anything?
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Lewk is saying he's ok with the US death rate, even when it's like a 9/11 mass casualty event, every day, for weeks or months.

The sad thing is he's not alone. This Death Cult has many members, including Trump and the Trumpuppets in the Republican Party.

The sad irony is that Trump wants credit for Warp Speed (vaccination) while he's been calling Covid-19 a Hoax. It's no wonder that our forum teacher troll Lewk doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by GGT; 12-14-2020 at 04:02 PM.

US is immediately below Argentina on that list, and its death toll is rising faster.
    We already passed them.

and since Lewk's half picture bullshit is now including even more bullshitty "gut" feelings that the spread isn't related to conservative leadership downplaying the restrictions, here is where America stands on most lists, if not outright leading them:

Total
    Spoiler:

In the last 7 days
    Spoiler:

Daily Increase
    Spoiler:

per million (USA is now in the top 10, so this is one list Lewk will stop spreading)
    Spoiler:

per million 7 day shot
    Spoiler:
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 12-14-2020 at 04:07 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkd3...-you-cant-have

Just your standard FYGM GOP attitude.

Numbers are increasing again here, so we're having a lockdown for Christmas.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Numbers are increasing again here, so we're having a lockdown for Christmas.
    Yah, us as well. Today was the last time I was physically present at school for this year. We won't open the school again until after the 10th of January at the earliest. That date is subject to change, of course, should such measures be necessary.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    But the Johnson government did take actions at the timescales discussed. Early actions, the rule of 6 and other actions were introduced in September, Tiers in October, Lockdown in November. I know you have an irrational hatred of my countries Government but that doesn't change the facts or rewrite history.
    Here, I have gathered together the parts you didn't read before triumphantly describing—in response to criticism about Johnson's decision to disregard scientific guidance in favour of slow-walking the pandemic response with ineffectual half-measures—precisely the poorly justified ineffectual half-measures and feet-dragging that were criticized. I can't say I've looked forward to once again having to chew and spit out one single article and the same short posts for you over and over again so that you can slowly consume it in bite-sized pieces, but if you are incapable of reading things before replying to them, I guess I must help in whatever way I can. I know you have an irrational and borderline cultist compulsion to defend your govt. against any and all criticism, but that doesn't change the facts or rewrite history.

So here you go:

The article discusses the Johnson govt's politically motivated pattern of disregarding scientific advice on the timely implementation of restrictions in favour of ineffectual half-measures followed by desperate lockdowns in response to disastrously unmanageable outbreaks. [...] The scientific consensus in the UK has been that, if you act decisively at an early stage, you can benefit greatly even from restrictions that are relatively short

[...]

You mention the tier system, which the article points out was not based on scientific guidance. Indeed, the article describes several policy moves apparently contrary to scientific guidance that you have consistently alleged were examples of the Johnson govt. following scientific advice, such as the decisions wrt students, and Sunak's asinine gimmick. You bring up a legitimate concern about the risks of imposing and then swiftly lifting restrictions without having measures in place to prevent an immediate surge, but this is in fact something that is touched on in the article—in its criticism of the Johnson govt's foolish decision to lift nearly all restrictions in one go after the first lockdown, preventing scientists from being able to determine the importance of each type of restriction—which would've been easier to do with an incremental phase-out—and also sending a very dangerous message to the public.
    48 hours in September when ministers and scientists split over Covid lockdown

[...] Professor John Edmunds, of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, presented the view of the government’s Sage advisory group, which wanted a two week circuit-breaker lockdown. [...]

But his firm view on the necessity for an immediate lockdown was clear in a paper he co-authored with other Sage members that weekend. “Not acting now to reduce cases will result in a very large epidemic with catastrophic consequences in terms of direct Covid-related deaths and the ability of the health service to meet needs,” they wrote.

[...] in the summer, the prime minister began relaxing social-distancing measures when the number of infections was higher than they had been in other European countries when they lifted their lockdowns.

[...] After the Sunday evening meeting in Downing Street, Johnson continued with a series of weaker measures to contain the virus for six more weeks until — as the scientists predicted — the number of infections rose so high that his hand was finally forced into bringing in a national lockdown because the NHS was again in danger of being overrun.

As a result, more than 1.3 million extra infections are estimated to have spread across the country.

[...]

Sage had advised the government on June 23 to relax the strictest measures incrementally so that it could gauge the effect each one had on infection rates and prevent infections from “accelerating”. The rush to open everything up, therefore, meant the scientists were unable to read which of the measures caused the spike that began in July.

[...] the chancellor cheerfully served tables in a branch of Wagamama to advertise one of his new big initiatives: Eat Out to Help Out. [...]

The initiative was never put before the scientific advisers on Sage. Nor were members of Sage consulted on a sudden reversal of a key policy to control the virus announced by the prime minister in an online forum with the public two days later. He said it was time to replace the “stay at home if you can” with “go back to work if you can”’

[...]

But it was too good, according to researchers from Warwick University, who found that the [Eat Out to Help Out] initiative may have been responsible for between 8% and 17% of new Covid-19 clusters in August and early September. Encouraging many different households to share enclosed indoor spaces, regardless of “Covid-secure” measures, had allowed the virus to proliferate dangerously fast.

The report’s author, Professor Thiemo Fetzer, concluded: “Eat Out to Help Out may in the end have been a false economy: one that subsidised the spread of the pandemic into autumn and contributed to the start of the second wave.”

They were strong words, but he was not alone in taking that position. “If you look at the use of restaurants in July, it’s pretty low,” the Sage source explained. “It took a bribe from the chancellor to make us go. It wasn’t about support for restaurants — otherwise, it would have counted for takeaways. It was to break our fear, and it worked.”

[...]

As part of the drive to return life to normal, international travel was opened up on the same day as Johnson’s online forum. A new “traffic light” system of “travel corridors” was introduced that allowed people to travel to 59 countries with no requirement to quarantine for 14 days on return to England.

The policy was questionable, given that British tourists were travelling to countries such as Spain with higher rates of infection. In the penultimate week of July, when the air travel corridor was still open, Britain had 6.8 cases per 100,000 people, whereas Spain had 25.9 cases per 100,000. Many people brought the virus back into Britain from their travels.

This would later show up in research on the second wave of the virus. A study from Basel University in Switzerland shows a new variant of the virus appears to have emerged in Spain in early summer and then spread to the UK by the middle of July. Remarkably, by September the variant was estimated to be responsible for 50% of virus cases in England and 80% of those in Wales and Scotland.

[...]

As September approached, the government was imploring people to return to working life after the school holidays.

[...]

According to Google tracking data — a source used by the government — the number of people attending workplaces was now just 35% below normal levels, whereas it had been down 70% during the first lockdown. [...]

[...]

Sage committee minutes show that it was recognised at the end of July that infections may no longer be below the crucial “one” threshold for R and by early August the scientists were advising that “strong measures introduced early for short periods are likely to be more effective in reducing transmission than less stringent measures which would need to be implemented for longer”.

[...]

Many scientists also favoured a strategy that was aimed at cutting infection to near zero. Professor Steven Riley, a member of the government’s scientific pandemic influenza group on modelling (SPI-M), which reports to Sage, said the UK must adopt such an approach if the country faced the same situation again. “From the experience of this pandemic, some countries have had much, much better outcomes by pursuing that [approach]. Even if we didn’t achieve it, we should have it as an objective,” he said. “I don’t think that will be controversial. In fact, it’s almost silly to suggest otherwise.”

Indeed, in May, economists at the World Bank had published a report entitled “The Sooner, the Better”, which concluded that countries in Europe and central Asia that had acted earlier to stem the virus’s spread had suffered less damage to their economies and fewer deaths. Locking down early was a win-win strategy. It was advice that many scientists believed should be applied to avoid further economic damage from a second wave.

[...]

The effects of the government’s strategy were becoming increasingly evident in the figures for new infections. By September 1, the average daily figures over a week had passed 2,000 for the first time since the first wave. They had almost quadrupled since Super Saturday.

The largest Covid-19 testing study of virus infection, undertaken by Imperial College London, has shown that between August 22 and September 7, the R number was estimated to be 1.7. In other words, it had hit the benchmark for the “worst-case scenario” the government’s scientists had set six weeks earlier.

[...]

The new “rule of six” came as a surprise to some of the government’s own scientists. Assistant professor Nicholas Davies, who sits on the government’s SPI-M committee, said his colleagues had not been consulted. “They seemed to be making decisions, and it wasn’t really clear what the rationale for them was,” he said. That day his modelling committee informed the government that the “the current situation is in line with the latest reasonable worst-case scenario”. But another week went by.

[...]

... on Wednesday, September 16, with infections rising to more than 4,000, Johnson was still firmly against tougher measures. “I don’t want a second national lockdown,” he told a parliamentary committee. “I think it would be completely wrong for this country, and we are going to do everything in our power to prevent it.”

[...]

Hospital admissions for Covid-19 had doubled since the beginning of the month, they said, and the country was on track for 200 to 500 deaths a day by early November. The two experts urged the prime minister to impose a two-week circuit-breaker lockdown to bring the R number back under control.

Johnson is said to have initially sided with the two scientists. “There’s no question,” he said as he toured a new vaccine factory two days later on Friday, September 18, in his hard hat, “[we] are now seeing a second wave coming in”.

The proposal for the two-week lockdown went before the Cabinet Office’s Covid-19 operation committee, where it is said to have been accepted by Hancock and Gove. Plans were started to announce the circuit-breaker.

However, Sunak was the dissenting voice. On Friday evening, the chancellor met Johnson to express his concern about how damaging the quick lockdown could be to the economy.

The meeting resulted in invitations being sent out to the four academics — Gupta, Heneghan, Edmunds and Tegnell — to speak at Downing Street on Sunday, September 20. The presence of Tegnell, Sweden’s leading epidemiologist, was particularly controversial because his country had suffered a high death rate during the first wave. To date, Sweden has suffered 7,354 deaths from the virus compared with 442 and 918 in neighbouring Finland and Denmark respectively.

Many thought then his policies might have achieved some herd immunity, but infections would begin to rocket upwards again not long after he spoke at No 10. Tegnell now says a herd immunity approach is “highly unethical”.

The meeting seemed to convince Johnson. Afterwards, he called in his team and ruled out a lockdown. In doing so, he dismissed the arguments of Sage expert Edmunds, who was warning of a “catastrophe” if it was not introduced.

The split with his chief scientific advisers had never been more apparent.

[...]

But Vallance and Whitty had lost the battle over the circuit-breaker lockdown and they were publicly at odds with their political masters. That day, the Sage meeting — which they jointly chair — endorsed the alarming report from Edmunds and his colleagues that warned of dire consequences if the government failed to act quickly. “The more rapidly these interventions are put in place the greater the reduction in Covid-related deaths and the quicker they can be eased,” the report stated.

Johnson, however, was not swayed. The next day, Tuesday, September 22, he announced minor extensions to the rules banning more than six people from meeting and a new 10pm curfew on pubs and restaurants. There was also a request that people work from home if they could. That was it.

The new curfew turned out to be a symbolic gesture and Google tracking data shows that the number of people attending workplaces continued to rise.

The Sage member says the announcement ignored advice that a tougher package of interventions was needed. “Just picking one [intervention] and saying we’re going to try and get people to work from home a bit in some half-hearted way isn’t going to be enough,” he said.

Thomas House, a SPI-M member from Manchester University, recalled his reaction to Johnson’s decision. “It was a bit like, ‘Oh God, haven’t we learnt the message of March?’, which is that, when this starts, you want to act early,” he said. “By September, we’d had months and months of accumulated evidence.”

[...]

The academics in the study concluded: “The argument is strong for countries adopting a so-called zero-Covid strategy, which aims to eliminate domestic transmission.” There was still hope that Europe could regain some control over the virus. “It is not too late for the ... lessons to be learnt and applied now.”

[...]

In the middle of September, hundreds of thousands of students criss-crossed Britain to start the new term at universities and colleges. It was another step too far for the government’s scientific advisers.

“We were concerned that, in particular with the opening of the universities, things could escalate very, very rapidly,” said Professor Daniela De Angelis, a SPI-M committee member. Her fellow SPI-M member House describes the “remixing” of households at universities as a “high risk” to take. “I just thought, ‘Why didn’t we try and get the first semester online?” he said.

[...]

As the days passed, it was becoming obvious that Johnson’s control measures were having little effect. On October 8, Sage received evidence that infections and hospital admissions were exceeding the reasonable worst-case scenario.

[...] the prime minister announced that he was “simplifying” and “standardising” local rules that had been used in England to damp down infections in towns and cities by introducing three tiers of restrictions.

It was the moment when the rift between the politicians and their scientists became public. [...]

The scientists say they were not consulted. Davies, the SPI-M member, describes the tiers decision as a “a moment of increasing concern and worry for a lot of us because it just felt like the decision making was disconnected from the science.”

[...] Sunak hit back, accusing Labour of being “detached from reality” and being irresponsible for not acknowledging “the economic cost of a blunt national lockdown”. This was little more than two weeks before the government would perform a U-turn and announce a lockdown.

[...]

Assistant professor Davies says he felt scared that Johnson appeared to be falling into the same delay pattern that had been so disastrous in the first wave. “It seemed like a repeat of the situation in March,” he said.

[...]

On Wednesday, October 28, with reported deaths at more than 300 a day, the scientists on the SPI-M committee made a final appeal. It produced a report setting out the consequences of continued inaction. As if to emphasise the point, the front-page prominently featured a line stating “not government policy” in large red capital letters.

While the committee had previously avoided making economic projections, now the gloves were off. The scientists wanted to show that the delays were killing people and would ultimately do more damage to the economy.

They argued for a “rapid and decisive” lockdown to control infections at much lower levels which could more effectively be tackled with the test and trace system. This would allow more of the economy to safely open up.

That day both Germany and France announced national lockdowns to curb their own second waves of the virus.

The pressure on the government was becoming too much. On Friday, October 30, health officials delivered a presentation to the Downing Street operation committee with an unequivocal message: hospitals would be overrun in every part of England within weeks if nothing was done to stem the rate of infections.

The prime minister had no choice. After making clear for months that he would not countenance a lockdown, he caved in.

[...]

The government’s delay had a human cost. According to estimates from Imperial College London, 2.5 million people were infected between the day the prime minister ignored his expert calls for the circuit breaker on September 22 and the end of the lockdown on December 1.

The figures suggest that if Johnson had brought in measures to hold daily infections level, 1.3 million fewer people would have been infected. With the virus’s death rate typically estimated at between 0.5% and 1%, it suggests that between 7,000 and 13,000 people might not have died if stricter measures had been introduced earlier.
    After the disastrous failure of the Welsh firebreak (do you dispute it has been a disastrous failure) can you name a single country in the world anywhere that has been able to defeat COVID19 with a two week "circuit breaker"?

I'd have thought you'd know better than this. To defeat COVID19 doesn't take fads it takes tough actions consistently adopted to consistently keep R low.
    And your govt. not only failed to do this, but actively implemented measures that had the opposite effect.

PS if you wish to discuss other nations during the second wave have you considered looking at France and others? Or Wales or anywhere else in Europe? What is with your obsession over England?

You call it disastrous but the second wave cases per day peak has been below Wales (which did follow this irrational idea), France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Belgium and even I believe Germany!

Some "disaster".
    I have focused on England because I have close friends and family there, because of this story's connection with our chief epidemiologist, because of the frequent and significant overlap wrt policy & politics, and because it is more convenient to discuss due to the much more extensive and in-depth coverage in both mainstream press and scientific journals. Whether or not we're seeing a disastrous failure in the UK is a question that should be answered by comparing not only—or at all—with other disastrous failures but also with successful examples, as well as with counterfactual scenarios specific for the UK that can help establish reasonable expectations and identify critical events. If you read the article—even just the first page or so—you will be able to understand what counterfactual scenarios Johnson's decisions and their outcomes are being judged against. You keep bringing up Wales, but you have yet to make a compelling argument for why it's relevant, given that they—like you—were slow to act decisively, and were probably also sabotaged by your pro-covid policies.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Some things I've had trouble learning:

1) If you've had the covid-19 disease and recovered, do you need the vaccine?

2) Does the vaccine prevent the 'Cytokine Storm' immune response that's been linked to severity of illness, and death?

3) Is the vaccine free of charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Added population density.

United States - 35/km²

Notice anything?
    That I'm glad I'm not in Peru?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Latin America already got hit for the entirety of its winter season. Here, winter is coming.

140k vaccinated in the first week of rollout in the UK.

More than I expected since in this week only hospitals are doing it and taking it slowly and carefully at first. GP surgeries start to come online this weekend which will really ramp up how it gets done.

My eldest granddad (91 in February) has had confirmation his GP surgery should be getting the vaccine this weekend and he could be vaccinated next week if the logistics all work.

My wife is due to get her vaccine in the hospital soon too. I won't get it though as I'm not a priority just her.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Emotional day for me. Went to visit my grandparents and drop off Christmas presents in a socially distanced manner at the door step. Three households, missed one as she was out to a doctor's appointment. Managed to see from a distance the others, first time since January of February I've seen them, was emotional and lovely to do so even if it was briefly and without the kids or my wife etc and without going inside.

Just before I arrived at my granddad's house got they got a call saying both of them to go to the hospital today for their vaccine. So at 5.20pm today they're going to get vaccinated.

I'm absolutely made up for them. It's been a long horrid year and this is the best Christmas present. Hopefully in January once they've had the second jab we can go back and see them properly.

Last edited by Aimless; 12-16-2020 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Emotional day for me. Went to visit my grandparents and drop off Christmas presents in a socially distanced manner at the door step. Three households, missed one as she was out to a doctor's appointment. Managed to see from a distance the others, first time since January of February I've seen them, was emotional and lovely to do so even if it was briefly and without the kids or my wife etc and without going inside.

Just before I arrived at my granddad's house got they got a call saying both of them to go to the hospital today for their vaccine. So at 5.20pm today they're going to get vaccinated.

I'm absolutely made up for them. It's been a long horrid year and this is the best Christmas present. Hopefully in January once they've had the second jab we can go back and see them properly.
    Pleased for you and yours.

It does have a feeling of a page being turned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I hate to say it but this kind of stupidity is why the US is filled with lawyers. The best way to curtail this idiocy here is to hit them in the wallets.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I hate to say it but this kind of stupidity is why the US is filled with lawyers. The best way to curtail this idiocy here is to hit them in the wallets.
    I want to believe that, but I guess I don't feel confident about that particular photographer's chances. Will have to see what happens once things start settling down a little and people start working through the backlog of potential/likely injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Pleased for you and yours.

It does have a feeling of a page being turned.
    It does indeed. The vaccine is the only way out of this, I'm so delighted we have one.

My wife's appointment is confirmed, she's getting hers on Saturday.

I want to believe that, but I guess I don't feel confident about that particular photographer's chances. Will have to see what happens once things start settling down a little and people start working through the backlog of potential/likely injuries.

If she's willing to pay for the time, she's got great chances (though any recovery might well not be worth the legal fees, particularly if her tangible damages end up just being the missed/outsourced work). It's when the defendants very much outweigh the plaintiffs that the system starts to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    If she's willing to pay for the time, she's got great chances (though any recovery might well not be worth the legal fees, particularly if her tangible damages end up just being the missed/outsourced work). It's when the defendants very much outweigh the plaintiffs that the system starts to fail.
    Is there precedent for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Is there precedent for this?

Negligent exposure to infection? Absolutely. Look at exposure to Legionaires, for instance. In this case the negligence and fault is easy. The primary difficulty will lie in establishing the defendant as the source of proximal exposure sufficient to potentially convince a jury (and, since juries can be stupid, sufficient to keep a judge from making a directed ruling notwithstanding the verdict). You also need to bear in mind that both plaintiff's and defendants lawyers would be failing utterly at their jobs if it actually went to trial, much less stayed there long enough for a jury to reach a verdict. Since there is clear negligence, both would be looking for a settlement.

Macron has tested positive, hope he gets well soon.

He was hugging (albeit with masks on) the Portugese PM yesterday and met other EU leaders earlier this week. Hope this doesn't spark a White House style spread, at least they were wearing masks.

With the UK rolling their vaccine out I wonder how long it's going to take the US to pass them in deaths per million.

With the UK rolling their vaccine out I wonder how long it's going to take the US to pass them in deaths per million.
    Well America is rolling out vaccine as well. They are pretty close but interestingly enough Italy and Belgium has more deaths per capita in the last 7 days than either. America may well pass up the UK though, we have got a lot of fat people.

A new strain of the virus has run rampant in the South and South-East of the UK. Supposedly 70% more transmissable than the regular strain, though fortunately no more deadly.

Still, it has forced a Christmas U-turn from Bojo, who has now disallowed Christmas get-togethers for much of the country, and a new tighter lockdown Tier is in place for London and the South-East.

Cases here have suddenly gone through the roof.

Not good.

Reports on whether the new vaccines work on the new strain are inconclusive and sketchy. I really, really hope they do, or we're fucked for the forseeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Policies that only react to the current situation will always be far too late.

There's no actual evidence about the so-called new British strain. There are ways for proving it and as usual, no one in Britain has bothered to use those methods. A greater short-term number of new infections isn't evidence. It could simply be more people meeting in enclosed spaces due to colder weather.