Page 73 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 3792

Thread: covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Well America is rolling out vaccine as well.
    In much lower quantities compared to population and it's a total shit show concerning priority.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 12-20-2020 at 10:46 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    There's no actual evidence about the so-called new British strain. There are ways for proving it and as usual, no one in Britain has bothered to use those methods. A greater short-term number of new infections isn't evidence. It could simply be more people meeting in enclosed spaces due to colder weather.
    None of that is stopping governments of prohibiting travel from the UK. Between beginning this post and finishing Ireland and Germany were added to the list and it's no longer just airtravel but all travel.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    In much lower quantities compare to population and it's a total shit show concerning priority.
    My understanding is front line health workers and then elderly long term care residents are getting first crack at it in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    None of that is stopping governments of prohibiting travel from the UK. Between beginning this post and finishing Ireland and Germany were added to the list and it's no longer just airtravel but all travel.
    A reasonable response to a record number of new cases.

My understanding is front line health workers and then elderly long term care residents are getting first crack at it in America.
    After congressmen who keep insisting Covid isn't a big deal.
    Hope is the denial of reality

After congressmen who keep insisting Covid isn't a big deal.
    Statistically insignificant and would likely increase vaccination acceptance rates among the population. After team Biden highlighted the dangers of a "rushed vaccine" it is important that trust be rebuilt after their anti-science political machinations.

There's no actual evidence about the so-called new British strain. There are ways for proving it and as usual, no one in Britain has bothered to use those methods. A greater short-term number of new infections isn't evidence. It could simply be more people meeting in enclosed spaces due to colder weather.
    Getting conclusive evidence will take more time (even though it's been around for months), but the potential risks are so great that the UK and other exposed countries understandably do not feel like they can wait for conclusive evidence before acting to limit the potential harm. It's not so much an evidence issue as a risk analysis issue. Founder effects, superspreader events and altered behavior are important explanations to consider, but the new UK lineage (as well as the one in SA) have both accumulated a number of mutations that make them concerning enough for govts and national authorities to be wary.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Statistically insignificant and would likely increase vaccination acceptance rates among the population. After team Biden highlighted the dangers of a "rushed vaccine" it is important that trust be rebuilt after their anti-science political machinations.
    I thought you were big on the whole hypocrisy thing. Your explanation is inconsistent with reality by the way (as usual). Republicans are the ones more reluctant to take the vaccine:

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Getting conclusive evidence will take more time (even though it's been around for months), but the potential risks are so great that the UK and other exposed countries understandably do not feel like they can wait for conclusive evidence before acting to limit the potential harm. It's not so much an evidence issue as a risk analysis issue. Founder effects, superspreader events and altered behavior are important explanations to consider, but the new UK lineage (as well as the one in SA) have both accumulated a number of mutations that make them concerning enough for govts and national authorities to be wary.
    Increasing number of cases are themselves a reason to be wary. No reason for pseudo-science.

There's a dearth of peer reviewed data, yes, but my understanding is that they've been able to track the strain by sequencing since September or so. The real question is whether it is more transmissible and/or infective, for which there is as yet very modest data one way or another - the most compelling being this strain increasing as a proportion of new infections in certain regions. If this was starting from very low infection numbers I'd lean towards ascribing this more to chance. However, in reality I think there's moderate cause for concern.

I frankly don't know what the British government and public health establishment have done and what you believe they should have done, but certainly there is *some* data to cause concern.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

NERVTAG and Portion Down and SAGE have given a fair bit of evidence in the past 24 hours including why they think it is spreading more.

I wouldn't take a politicians word for it but I would theirs. Unless you think they're all engaging in a conspiracy (as well as the Labour and SNP First Minister's who've said they've seen the evidence too).

Genie is probably out of the bottle already but I agree with nations closing their borders to the UK out of the precautionary principle.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Increasing number of cases are themselves a reason to be wary. No reason for pseudo-science.
    I'm not sure what pseudoscience you're referring to. The new UK lineage has accumulated a number of changes, the significance of which we do not yet understand, but that might include a higher risk of a scenario where you not only have a more transmissible variant but (the greater concern) a variant that might be more likely to cause disease in people who have been presumed to be immune (whether due to previous covid or vaccination). This scenario cannot be ruled right now, and it is an esp. fraught moment to be gambling on it not coming to pass. While increasing case numbers are cause for worry in and of themselves, they represent a somewhat better understood and time-limited problem - it's the enemy you know and are increasingly well prepared for. Possible new more transmissible strain that might evade defenses of presumably immune individuals - not so much.

France have closed the border with us for the next 48 whilst they and the rest of Europe work out what to do with us and our new strain.

Things seem really bleak in the UK tonight.

You're referencing a plan without an ounce of understanding concerning supply.
    Hospitals can't even figure out how to roll out vaccinations amongst their own staff with the merger supply they are getting.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ho...rs/ar-BB1c3gt2
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    France have closed the border with us for the next 48 whilst they and the rest of Europe work out what to do with us and our new strain.

Wouldn't surprise me if tomorrow the entire EU follows suit. There seems to have been no consultations with London.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post

Makes sense.

Though worth noting it is entirely probable that it is already on the continent and may have even evolved there. The UK's genome sequencing monitoring is quite advanced compared to most other countries.

If this Tweet is to be believed half of all global sequencing has been done in the UK so it shouldn't be too surprising new variants get reported here. Usual health warnings about Twitter apply.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me if tomorrow the entire EU follows suit. There seems to have been no consultations with London.
    Just as the UK did the same with Denmark a few weeks ago with their novel Mink outbreak.

It's all a bit closing the stable door though. Everyone should be closing all their borders as much as possible except for essential travel, not just one of them.

Haulage to resume within hours, ban on other travellers to continue.

Perfect! Absolutely perfect. Other countries have finally done for us what I can't believe our own government hasn't done. Hopefully it continues and tourism is banned in the new year until the vaccine rollout is complete. We should be controlling the border more than locking down the full country.

Nice to see the UK's contribution to the fight against COVID acknowledged so fulsomely by the ECDC. I find Loki's complaint about 'a lack of evidence' bizarre, should the government suppress alerts of warnings about new variants or alert the world and the WHO as soon as they find out. Remarkable how many variants there have been.

The UK has an established SARS-CoV-2 genome sequencing consortium called COG-UK. It consists of the national public health institutes, National Health Service organisations, academic institutions and the Wellcome Sanger Institute. They are working to keep sequencing coverage high and geographically representative and to keep turnaround times low. The consortium is by far the largest contributor to the GISAID EpiCov database in the world, with more than 120,000 of around 270,000 genomes published so far. This initiative increases the likelihood that emerging variants are identified and can be assessed in a timely fashion.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/threat-assessment-brief-rapid-increase-sars-cov-2-variant-united-kingdom

Separately a very good thread on this here. Have to agree with the conclusion.

Really not enjoying this rip-off of Season 1 of The Expanse. EFD tends to jump to conclusions, but, if you view the thread as a summary of concerns, it's fair.

Not sure what The Expanse is about but his conclusion that the sooner we squish Covid19 so that it stops mutating as much the better seems reasonable to me.

EMA finally approves the BioNTech vaccine.

There is no decision to resume haulage yet. Also it seems there's a requirement of a negative test. Which still means huge delays for about 20% of good flows between the UK and the EU.
    Congratulations America

Makes perfect sense.

It's probably closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. Given the fast rising car numbers across the continent recently it wouldn't surprise me if this is widespread already - but why take the chance?

To be honest I'm rather surprised that as much as 80% of cargo is unaccompanied.

Also an unforeseen minor side benefit from Brexit, this instant shut down of the border for health reasons has been made easier to handle on this side it seems due to the preparations for a No Deal slowdown at the border.

Had a pandemic made shutting the border instantly necessary five years ago Kent would have been a lot less prepared for that.

You're referencing a plan without an ounce of understanding concerning supply.
    Hospitals can't even figure out how to roll out vaccinations amongst their own staff with the merger supply they are getting.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ho...rs/ar-BB1c3gt2
    "Higher ups at SMC had allocated vaccines to some administrators and doctors who are working from home and not in contact with the virus instead of staff who are working on the frontline."

What the actual fuck?

What the actual fuck?
    But you didn't say anything about the GOP politicians who denied that covid was real, or that it wasn't serious, yet were some of the first people to get vaccines.

"Higher ups at SMC had allocated vaccines to some administrators and doctors who are working from home and not in contact with the virus instead of staff who are working on the frontline."

What the actual fuck?
    Genius, if they got the vaccine, then they could go back to work.

Genius, if they got the vaccine, then they could go back to work.
    Administrators can continue to work at home. Are you actually defending this? The frontline folks NOT getting it in favor of paper pushers?

But you didn't say anything about the GOP politicians who denied that covid was real, or that it wasn't serious, yet were some of the first people to get vaccines.
    Very few denied that COVID existed. If you are referring to Trump even far left wing CNN shows that particular attack is malarkey.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/17/polit...eck/index.html

Very few denied that COVID existed.

Very few denied that COVID existed. If you are referring to Trump even far left wing CNN shows that particular attack is malarkey.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/17/polit...eck/index.html
    That one particular attack was malarkey. Meanwhile ...

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...avirus/608647/
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    That one particular attack was malarkey. Meanwhile ...

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...avirus/608647/
    Goalposts be moving... but I will agree Trump utterly failed at messaging around the pandemic.

Why does a Covid relief/stimulus bill have foreign aid attached? This isn't the normal budgeting/spending bill, why would we have outlays for other countries when we are trying to stimulate the American economy and mitigate the suffering caused by lockdowns? Kind of crazy that both Ted Cruz and AOC are in agreement the way this bill go pushed through was horrible. When even those two polar opposites agree on something people should pay attention.