Thread: covid-19

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    It has a disproportionate impact even controlling for those.
    A doctor friend says it has something to do with ACE-receptors being different between the races but I must admit I don't fully understand it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    There was a directive went out to the NHS telling them to risk assess their BAME staff working on the cornavirus wards after it was noted that a very high proportion of NHS workers who've died form covid-19 are non-white. I do think there's at least a possibility that there's a biological component to it, on top of the usual systemic racism. No one really knows why most people with covid get a mild illness and then in some people it just goes apeshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    A doctor friend says it has something to do with ACE-receptors being different between the races but I must admit I don't fully understand it.
    122,000 tests yesterday. Going to be able to go back to tracing and tracing like South Korea after lockdown it seems.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

It may not be *genetic* but rather if hypertension is diagnosed and treated equally among *racial groups*. Confounding variables within healthcare delivery systems and socio-economic groups.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2763803

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    It may not be *genetic* but rather if hypertension is diagnosed and treated equally among *racial groups*. Confounding variables within healthcare delivery systems and socio-economic groups.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2763803
    I think there is a genetic element as even controlling for elements like that there is still a very clear statistical difference it seems. The NHS is now being advised where possible to move black doctors and nurses off the front line if they can.

I think there is a genetic element as even controlling for elements like that there is still a very clear statistical difference it seems. The NHS is now being advised where possible to move black doctors and nurses off the front line if they can.
    I'm concerned you're making that kind of genetic/racial correlation before all the facts are in. At this early point in understanding a *novel* virus, that "seems" like racist and/or xenophobic confirmation bias against immigrant (black) doctors and nurses (by your NHS) more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I'm concerned you're making that kind of genetic/racial correlation before all the facts are in. At this early point in understanding a *novel* virus, that "seems" like racist and/or xenophobic confirmation bias against immigrant (black) doctors and nurses (by your NHS) more than anything else.
    There's data in. It's neither racist nor xenophobic to analyse risk factors as they come in. ONS reports that so far BAME are 4x more likely to die so far and even after controlling for known risk factors (geography, demographics, employment, comorbidities, obesity etc) that only comes down to 2x

It seems like genetics may double risk then environment may double it again. Or vice versa. Under those circumstances precautions make sense.

Strange that you view the NHS trying to protect its vulnerable doctors is xenophobic in your eyes.

There's data in. It's neither racist nor xenophobic to analyse risk factors as they come in. ONS reports that so far BAME are 4x more likely to die so far and even after controlling for known risk factors (geography, demographics, employment, comorbidities, obesity etc) that only comes down to 2x

It seems like genetics may double risk then environment may double it again. Or vice versa. Under those circumstances precautions make sense.

Strange that you view the NHS trying to protect its vulnerable doctors is xenophobic in your eyes.
    The data is still being collected, the studies aren't conclusive, and it's too soon to draw conclusions about race. All I'm saying is that correlation isn't causation, and you can't keep saying "it seems like", or "it looks like" at this early stage. I'm not aware of studies comparing the infection rate for the general patient population vs healthcare workers by race -- factoring in the testing differences by state and country -- but those would be complicated, global studies that could take years. It might be faster (and smarter) to study the virus' genetic make-up first.

Of course anyone working the "front lines" is more vulnerable, because of their exposure to the virus and inability to work from home (or stay-at-home)....and they should have all the PPE (and workplace standards) they need to do their jobs and stay safe. Regardless of their racial or ethnic background. IMO moving people of color off the "front lines" might look like precautions and protections for minority groups, but it's really just exposing failures in public health policy.

edit: There's also 'evidence' suggesting men are more susceptible to contracting covid-19 and/or having negative outcomes...but I don't see any nation's healthcare system saying men should be taken off their front-line or first-responder job for their own protection.
    Last edited by GGT; 05-12-2020 at 12:39 AM.