Page 17 of 127 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: covid-19

Randblade, your trust in the British government is touching
    Congratulations America

My state passed 1000 confirmed cases today, and that not counting spring break because our dumbass governor refuses to shut down the beaches and our local leaders wanted to move inventory before shutting down the beaches.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Seems like people are taking it seriously, I doubt the 200 of 500 going to school quoted earlier (From memory) is going to prove accurate. I think people like myself who were able to send kids in but could do other arrangements are making the right decision and keeping them home.

My wife is on her way in to work on the bus at the minute. The bus would normally be quite full - she messaged me before to say she is the only passenger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Meanwhile, in London; reduced tube, train and bus services mean greater crowds on running services;

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Coronavirus: Tube drivers 'furious' at crowded carriages

London Underground passengers have been crowding onto packed Tube trains, despite warnings to minimise travel.

Pictures from Monday's rush hour show busy carriages, which unions say have left staff "furious" and make social distancing impossible.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan has urged workers to stay at home and said public transport should be used only by key workers otherwise "people will die".

Some passengers have said a reduced service means trains are busier.

Aslef union's district organiser Finn Brennan tweeted: "Still heavy loading on some Tube lines this morning making social distancing impossible.

"This is endangering the health of the vital workers who have to use the system."

He called on the government to act, adding: "I'm being sent pictures of crush loaded platforms at some Jubilee line platforms this morning.

"Drivers and other frontline staff are furious."

In that last image, Tube so packed this morning that people can't even get on.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 03-23-2020 at 11:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I wasn't taking this seriously but then I tried ordering some odds and ends from Amazon yesterday and they quoted a ship date a month from now. Shit just got real.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

WHO launches massive global trial comparing four of the most promising candidates for treatment:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...rus-treatments
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Why are Londoners so thick? Problem in London is going to be very different to the rest of the country it seems.

Interesting graphs of many major nations in both deaths and cases. Looks like USA will be Number One in confirmed cases within a few days . . . it probably already is number one in actual cases already.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Given we're supposed to avoid touching our faces, what is the covid-safe version of a facepalm?

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Why are Londoners so thick? Problem in London is going to be very different to the rest of the country it seems.
    Yeh. It is bloody frustrating.

But then ... my bank has not shut down office working in London or in other offices across the UK, either. Split-team working has generally been instigated by most business areas, where on a two-week cycle you are either assigned to work from home or can come into the office. You are perfectly allowed to work from home during the cycle when you are assigned to come into the office, but you cannot come into the office on your wfh cycle. My particular office just south of the City has always been a BCP site (Business Continuity Plan) for use by critical-operations staff: that particular BCP is now in effect, and so I and colleagues at that office are now permanently at home not split-site, but we are a small minority.

Since our main bank building at Canary Wharf can accommodate up to 10,000 staff, and typically sees 8,000 on a normal work day, even half that is still a large number of commuters. If other headquartered financial institutions and large corporates in the City and the Wharf have similar split-site policies now in play, and I understand that at least several of them do, then the number of London workers commuting and not wfh remains high. Given that the Jubilee line is reporting big crowds on its reduced service, and the Jubilee line is the only tube line which serves the Wharf, this would make sense.

Beyond the commute and being pressed up against strangers on crowded trains/tubes/buses, these same office workers across buildings in London will be mingling in communal and reception areas, cafeterias and canteens, meeting rooms etc etc etc

Last edited by Timbuk2; 03-23-2020 at 03:13 PM.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    I wasn't taking this seriously but then I tried ordering some odds and ends from Amazon yesterday and they quoted a ship date a month from now. Shit just got real.
    Sounds exactly like something Lewkowski would say.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Jeremy Corbyn's brother gives a rather interesting take. Still need to find a CV-suitable facepalm alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Yeh. It is bloody frustrating.

But then ... my bank has not shut down office working in London or in other offices across the UK, either. Split-team working has generally been instigated by most business areas, where on a two-week cycle you are either assigned to work from home or can come into the office. You are perfectly allowed to work from home during the cycle when you are assigned to come into the office, but you cannot come into the office on your wfh cycle. My particular office just south of the City has always been a BCP site (Business Continuity Plan) for use by critical-operations staff: that particular BCP is now in effect, and so I and colleagues at that office are now permanently at home not split-site, but we are a small minority.

Since our main bank building at Canary Wharf can accommodate up to 10,000 staff, and typically sees 8,000 on a normal work day, even half that is still a large number of commuters. If other headquartered financial institutions and large corporates in the City and the Wharf have similar split-site policies now in play, and I understand that at least several of them do, then the number of London workers commuting and not wfh remains high. Given that the Jubilee line is reporting big crowds on its reduced service, and the Jubilee line is the only tube line which serves the Wharf, this would make sense.

Beyond the commute and being pressed up against strangers on crowded trains/tubes/buses, these same office workers across buildings in London will be mingling in communal and reception areas, cafeterias and canteens, meeting rooms etc etc etc

Reducing rail services was a tremendous mistake by Khan. Its crowding people onto fewer trains defeating the purpose of spreading out.

Should have maintained rail services at first while telling people not to use them, then ramped down services if not required rather than ramping down first.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    WHO launches massive global trial comparing four of the most promising candidates for treatment:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...rus-treatments
    Great news, though it is a bit surprising to see the antiretroviral combo included among the "four most promising candidates", while favipiravir is mentioned as something that might be added later. Perhaps they know something I don't (hopefully), but from publicly available information it appears that the anti-HIV combo has performed poorly in preliminary trials, while favipiravir has shown some promise.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Sounds exactly like something Lewkowski would say.
    This was intended to be hyperbole.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Google just sent me a paid survey asking if anyone was suffering from Covid-19 symptoms. Only earned a dime, but I would love to see the results of that survey.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

UK under lockdown. Not allowed to leave the house except for very limited reasons.

Huge change in tone for Boris when compared with previous days. Clearly a written, prerecorded announcement.

No bumbling. No waffling. No contradiction.

About time.

And enforced

Fucking finally.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

my governor just shot down the idea of a lockdown because not everyone would follow it
    My county refused to even explore what a lockdown would do.
    The mayor is pissed at the inaction.

Fuck around and find out.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Bet the guys on the ISS are feeling pretty smug right now.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Bet the guys on the ISS are feeling pretty smug right now.
    Not so smug when communications end.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    If I want groceries delivered I consider myself lucky if I get a delivery slot for next week. If at all.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    UK under lockdown. Not allowed to leave the house except for very limited reasons.
    We are still allowed outside but subject to policing of number of people we socialize with and at which distance.

We're heading for a complete lock down though because somehow the more stringent rules make some people think this means the previous less intrusive set has been lifted.

For example forced closure of bars till the 6th of April in force. New rule not specific for bars; no gathering of more than three people who are not living together till 1st of June.

Somehow a lot of people expect bars to open after the 6th of April. This because they are no longer ordered shut.
    Congratulations America

I would not be overly surprised that if the clouds have lifted after this crisis we'll find out that free market capitalism no longer is the organising principle in the Western world. It abysmally failed us in 2008 and it's failing us even more today. I doubt people are going to forgive health care systems not being able to cope with what should have been totally predictable and plannable.
    Congratulations America

Friends reporting in from hospitals in various parts of Sweden and the UK, already borderline unmanageable situations (just over the span of 1-2 days), growing number of younger pts in icu (most w/ hypertension and/or diabetes). Friends reporting in from across the US, similarly bad but at different stages, also worsening extremely rapidly, everyone exhausted.

Beyond irresponsible and disgusting for republican dumbasses to start calling for an end to restrictions at this stage. Absolute fucking morons.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I would not be overly surprised that if the clouds have lifted after this crisis we'll find out that free market capitalism no longer is the organising principle in the Western world. It abysmally failed us in 2008 and it's failing us even more today. I doubt people are going to forgive health care systems not being able to cope with what should have been totally predictable and plannable.
    I would be extremely surprised if you were right.

My sister is definitely feeling the strain - her hospital is going to be slammed with patients soon, and they simply don't have adequate capacity, staff, or equipment. Her patient population is more likely to be at risk, and they just don't have the resources to handle it. Funnily enough, she is actually ahead of things - both she and I read the tea leaves early enough to make reasonably accurate predictions about the trajectory of this in the US; it allowed my team to come up with a solid contingency plan for our research, and it allowed her to get her hospital prepped as much as possible ahead of time. She was discussing their preparedness with another area hospital, and her counterpart was very impressed - which is kinda scary, because my sister is super stressed that they're still screwed. That means that other hospitals in the region are probably even more screwed.

She's seeing a doubling of diagnosed cases every two days, with that doubling time shortening. We are nowhere near the end of this mess, and a bunch of people are going to die.

Gatherings of any size have now been banned where I live. The state has also issued an executive order to stay at home for at least the next 2 weeks, and it's now illegal to leave your house for non-essential reasons - though that's broadly defined enough to include nature walks as long as you stay 6 feet (~2 meters) away from anyone else. The governor has stated that violations of this order will be prosecuted.

I'm glad we have such a trustworthy government right now given how well this crisis is setting us up for a switch to a police state.

No change in London. Lockdown, what lockdown.

Tubes/trains still overcrowded this morning.

~

My bank has immediately ordered all UK staff to wfh except for critical operations following the announcement, ending the previous split-site policy.