Page 27 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: covid-19

Hope he gets well soon and anyone else afflicted with this illness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Yes. I also hope he survives to apologize for being such a stupid dick about shaking hands with patients.

I have serious doubts about him being taken to hospital 'for tests' late Sunday night.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I think number of tests is also dependent on how wide spread the disease is. Greater testing doesn't indicate that the disease will be better managed, it could mean there is more demand for testing because the disease is already widespread. My entire point is people bashed Trump for lack of testing. When it was pointed out he's tested more people than other countries they quickly say "well America is bigger and has more people so of course they test more, look at per capita numbers" and all I'm saying is if we want to use per-capita testing to a metric for how well a country is testing we should look at per capita deaths.
    The number of deaths, either absolute or per capita, tells you absolutely nothing unless you know at what stage the pandemic is in that country and what the current rate of change is. How are you this... you know, what? Never mind. You do you.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

So if something bad happens - Trump's fault. If someone good happens - not Trump's doing. k.
    Just some highlights form this thread:

Trump ignored covid briefings as far back as January.
    Trump told the governors that they were on their own for supplies.
    Trump has attacked hospitals and nurses for stealing and being greedy for protective and live saving equipment.
    The federal government tried to hide the initial outbreak in Washington.
    Trump "Takes no responsibility"
    The federal government delayed testing rollout due to its refusal to use WHO tests.
    That fucker Jared and Trump both have stated the federal supplies are not for states.
    The federal government outbid the states for supplies.
    Trump has directed that support not be spread to governors that don't kiss up to him.

So what from that screams to you credit for Trump and not in spite of Trump?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Yes. I also hope he survives to apologize for being such a stupid dick about shaking hands with patients.

I have serious doubts about him being taken to hospital 'for tests' late Sunday night.
    The only test you can do is some imaging to see how badly the lungs are affected. Which you only do if the condition is serious.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

So if something bad happens - Trump's fault. If someone good happens - not Trump's doing. k.
    Unless he was at fault for the delays by getting in the way of others pushing for more action earlier (which he did), in which case he made things worse than they could have been, and did not HELP things along later but merely stopped being a giant roadblock. You don't get any credit for helping when your "help" was merely no longer getting in other peoples' way as much, Lewk.

I think number of tests is also dependent on how wide spread the disease is. Greater testing doesn't indicate that the disease will be better managed, it could mean there is more demand for testing because the disease is already widespread. My entire point is people bashed Trump for lack of testing. When it was pointed out he's tested more people than other countries they quickly say "well America is bigger and has more people so of course they test more, look at per capita numbers" and all I'm saying is if we want to use per-capita testing to a metric for how well a country is testing we should look at per capita deaths.
    We bash Trump for spending months making bad decisions which meant we didn't get sufficient testing soon enough to make a real difference in the spread of the pandemic in our country. As you say, greater testing alone doesn't mean the disease will be better managed. And yet you are trying to say that it's exactly what greater testing means when you spout off Trump's propaganda line about doing lots of testing now.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    The only test you can do is some imaging to see how badly the lungs are affected. Which you only do if the condition is serious.
    Which means scans of his lungs, which aren't really tests. And I agree with you, you'd only do that if he's in a serious condition.
    Congratulations America

10 days of symptoms and not recovered is an indicator it is serious. Plus he seems to share some risk factors that affect the non-retired . . . an overweight middle aged male seems to be disproportionately adverse.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    10 days of symptoms and not recovered is an indicator it is serious.
    Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I wonder what the Chinese health agencies have to say about the efficacy of hydroxychloroquine with respect to COVID-19? Seems they would have tried everything by now.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...6SC?li=BBnb7Kz

"I think history will judge who's right on this debate," Navarro said, "but I'd bet on President Trump's intuition on this one because of all the doctors I've talked to and all the scientific papers that I've read."
    No names and no references to papers. Sounds like Trumpspeak to me.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Boris has now been moved to intensive care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Boris has now been moved to intensive care.
    I hope they're going to stop lying now.
    Congratulations America

Not good. He needs to rest and forget about politics, just fight this now.

Raab has been made deputy (and basically acting) PM. Definitely would not have been my choice but hopefully it's a case of just carry on with things as they are until he recovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    I wonder what the Chinese health agencies have to say about the efficacy of hydroxychloroquine with respect to COVID-19? Seems they would have tried everything by now.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...6SC?li=BBnb7Kz

No names and no references to papers. Sounds like Trumpspeak to me.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the entire admin and most GOP legislators were using hydroxychloroquine prophylactically. Results of actual RCT should be announced within weeks and then we'll see, but very many hospitalized covid pts are already on hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin without solid evidence and frankly mortality still seems to be very high in that group so if it works it hasn't worked any miracles yet.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Click to view the full version

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

So, they tell us the British PM has no pneumonia, but they don't tell us that his lungs are infected and probably damaged by the virus. Is there some delicate line between the two conditions? Or am I mistaken in the belief that healthy lungs don't need extra oxygen?
    Congratulations America

They did a report on this on Sky earlier today, apparently there's a whole spectrum of ways the body can react to this virus and reasons (and severity) for oxygen and ICU.

Underlying theme though is you don't go to ICU unless you're very sick.

Sanity check: Why does it seem like people in general are taking China's numbers at face value? I mean, they could be accurate; it makes sense that an authoritarian government would have an easier time controlling the spread of the virus than countries that put more priority on human rights than on power and control, but the mechanisms that exist in developed nations that would blow the whistle if the government tried to suppress figures simply don't exist in China. Has everyone forgotten that we know they've suppressed reports of the virus early on and a long history of censorship and lying? They declared the virus defeated nearly a month ago, so they have the motivation to lie to save face. We've had plenty of reports that the newer more contagious strain that evolved somewhere outside of China has entered the country, and I'm having trouble believing that they've locked that down so much better than the less contagious one they started with.

They did a report on this on Sky earlier today, apparently there's a whole spectrum of ways the body can react to this virus and reasons (and severity) for oxygen and ICU.

True, but it doesn't explain why they are so intent on telling us what he doesn't have.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Sanity check: Why does it seem like people in general are taking China's numbers at face value? I mean, they could be accurate; it makes sense that an authoritarian government would have an easier time controlling the spread of the virus than countries that put more priority on human rights than on power and control, but the mechanisms that exist in developed nations that would blow the whistle if the government tried to suppress figures simply don't exist in China. Has everyone forgotten that we know they've suppressed reports of the virus early on and a long history of censorship and lying? They declared the virus defeated nearly a month ago, so they have the motivation to lie to save face. We've had plenty of reports that the newer more contagious strain that evolved somewhere outside of China has entered the country, and I'm having trouble believing that they've locked that down so much better than the less contagious one they started with.
    The numbers are entirely bogus. There's no way to tell what the reality is on the ground. Too much incentive to lie and too much experience doing so.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    People in general take the Chinese figures at face value? That would be very foolish. They've been telling lies about the crisis from the moment the virus infected the first human being.
    Congratulations America

Or you're a VIP who gets special monitoring 'just in case' things go downhill fast and turn into ARDS. Let's hope that's the case for Johnson, and that he'll recover without needing a vent....because that changes his odds dramatically. Excellent video:

https://www.nytimes.com/video/health...-syndrome.html

Those charts are interesting but not very predictive. See India.

Click to view the full version

The "acting" Sec of Navy (a political appointee) is a disgrace; his apology to Captain Crozier was pathetic and *stupid*. This is another one of Trump's "good job, Brownie" failures, along with Jared and Navarro. A disaster within a disaster.

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Yeah, private corporations bidding against FEMA. The federal stock pile that isn't for states. Governors who suck up to Trump just have to make a phone call to Jared (the federal gov't isn't a shipping clerk, some states just didn't plan very well).

*Anyone who wants a test can get a test* There will be MILLIONS of tests available* The tests are beautiful and perfect* There's no shortage of PPE or ventilators* We've done more testing than any other nation*

Trump's "task force" is a joke

You misspelt farce in the last sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    People in general take the Chinese figures at face value? That would be very foolish. They've been telling lies about the crisis from the moment the virus infected the first human being.
    That's the impression that I'm getting - people keep comparing other countries numbers to Chinese numbers, for instance. I've seen it so often from so many places that I've been starting to wonder. A news report from Bloomberg I saw today about how China has completely defeated the virus was what prompted this - they got through the whole report without raising any doubts about the accuracy of their reported numbers.

Doesn't matter: the scientists who study epidemiology and pandemics raised the red alert in January, based simply on the fact that a *novel* SARS-related virus was identified in humans. Every decision after that was politically motivated.

ie we can't blame China for our political missteps.

You misspelt farce in the last sentence.
    Trump's daily "task force" briefings are also a farce. It's the Trump TV reality shit show. omg we are so screwed!

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."