Page 66 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,980 of 3792

Thread: covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I like how the media calls one type of political rally a superspreader event but not another.
    Could that be because Biden doesn't hold the same kind of rallies, genius?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I like how the media calls one type of political rally a superspreader event but not another.
    You might be a doofus yoghurt, but at least you're our doofus yoghurt.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

A pilot scheme of mass-testing in the city of Liverpool is underway.
    Up to half a million people are expected to be tested.
    Results for each test expected within an hour.
    The army has been brought in to oversee the logistics.

A successful trial here is expected to lead to a reduction in lockdown rules across the country, perhaps significantly, after the current November lockdown ends.

I suppose I'm quietly optimistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Looks like numbers are stabilizing here. Of course we need them to drop instead of being stable, but it's a start.

Also just heard that someone I've been in contact with has gotten a fever, will be tested today still, so may need to get my first test myself soon. On the bright side: a month ago a friend who lives here had to go to a more distant test site in order to be tested 2 days later, this time it's the evening of the same day at the local test site, or same morning at a more distant one. So looks like the testing is under control again
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    A pilot scheme of mass-testing in the city of Liverpool is underway.
    Up to half a million people are expected to be tested.
    Results for each test expected within an hour.
    The army has been brought in to oversee the logistics.

A successful trial here is expected to lead to a reduction in lockdown rules across the country, perhaps significantly, after the current November lockdown ends.

I suppose I'm quietly optimistic.
    Its very good news that the technology is there now to do this - so long as people comply.

Stories of people going out after a positive test are just flabbergasting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I took a self-administered nasal test yesterday. I was shocked they let me do it myself. That saks, compared to nurse-adminostered tests, I had the leave the swabs in both nostrils for 20 seconds.

On the plus side, no visible covid-related heart damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I took a self-administered nasal test yesterday. I was shocked they let me do it myself. That saks, compared to nurse-adminostered tests, I had the leave the swabs in both nostrils for 20 seconds.

On the plus side, no visible covid-related heart damage.
    Surely you mean adminosetered
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Could that be because Biden doesn't hold the same kind of rallies, genius?
    I wasn't talking about Biden's rallies. I was talking about BLM rallies.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Surely you mean adminosetered
    Man, the spelling/typo issues really come out when posting on a smartphone

I've been on the road and can't access via my work laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Looks like numbers are stabilizing here. Of course we need them to drop instead of being stable, but it's a start.

Also just heard that someone I've been in contact with has gotten a fever, will be tested today still, so may need to get my first test myself soon. On the bright side: a month ago a friend who lives here had to go to a more distant test site in order to be tested 2 days later, this time it's the evening of the same day at the local test site, or same morning at a more distant one. So looks like the testing is under control again
    My friend's test came back positive, so gotta self quarantine for 10 days No symptoms myself though.

Take care mate

Cheers, have no symptoms so I'm probably fine (and was not in that close contact). On the bright side: the corona app works, I got a notification (was already notified by my friend before, but still!), works nice and gave clear information what to do next (which is stay home, have someone do your groceries, and if you have any symptoms arrange a test).

University is so fucked.

I have a nephew in his first year of uni, who is in halls of residence/shared accommodation.

5 out of the 25 students in his hall have now tested positive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

500 ostensibly smart people sign dangerous and extremely stupid letter:

My ex, his girlfriend, and 18 family members tested positive after a family funeral in Alabama. They carried the virus to at least 5 states before they tested positive, so they've undoubtedly spread it to others. (I'm sooo glad my sons didn't go because they worried it might be a super-spreader event!

Most had mild/moderate symptoms like the flu, but the gf has neurological complications (loss of smell and taste, plus foggy 'covid brain')....but one cousin is in a dedicated covid ICU trying to avoid the ventilator.

10 days after testing positive, the ex held an Election Night Wine Tasting Party with 6 others. Because he felt ok and "probably" isn't contagious (no, he hasn't been re-tested) and the group was small. No one declined. Smart people doing stupid stuff is just so confounding.

Sorry to hear this, but glad you and your sons weren't exposed. Social pressure to gamble with your and other people's lives is absurdly high r n.

500 ostensibly smart people sign dangerous and extremely stupid letter:

How many of them are public health experts? Reminds me of the physicist who kept on keeping talks about creationism.

How many of them are public health experts? Reminds me of the physicist who kept on keeping talks about creationism.
    Haven't guessed, but would guess almost none of them are (although, living in Sweden, I can't be sure ). But this is nevertheless getting far too much attention, and helping to promote covid denialism.

Wow, this is great news if confirmed. 50% would be good news for a vaccine, 90% is incredible.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

It's probably a silly question but should we worry over the long-termeffects from a covid19 vaccine?
    (I'm not even sure what those would be; most likely it's a good thing to have)

I'm bloated, when it comes to vaccine I feel like here you got a 'market' were you could potentially inject anything.
    So it's like improving the body by collecting different vaccines, is there ever a risk?
    It's the pre-cyborg area.

Yes, no one knows what those consequences will be. I assume most side-effects would be visible at an earlier stage though.

I'm not really sure what kind of side effects are geberally associated with vaccines - could be long term as well, I imagine.

Also some good news: over here the number of new cases are dropping for more than a week now, and number of cases in the hospital seems to be stable / dropping slightly. Side note is that also fewer people got tested, but perhaps also because fewer people needed to. Numbers are still quite high, but I'm cautiously optimistic And tomorrow is already the last day of my self quarantine, did not get any symptoms. Looking forward to talking a walk outside again - today the weather was gorgeous but stayed inside
    Last edited by Flixy; 11-09-2020 at 04:18 PM.

This is going to be a very difficult debate here in Sweden, where hundreds of people developed narcolepsy as a result of vaccination with Pandemrix, most of whom were diagnosed characteristically late. On the whole, vaccines are safe—and less dangerous than the diseases they protect against. Serious adverse effects do occur, but they're very rare. I have diagnosed four patients with narcolepsy that appears to have manifested after Pandemrix vaccination, but that's a special situation; my clinic occasionally has patients who've developed autoimmune neurological conditions shortly after vaccination (most commonly flu shot), but, even if you assume a causal relationship, those cases are exceedingly rare—more rare than similar conditions arising after a viral infection such as the flu, for example. There is no compelling evidence to support any of the common (in antivaxx circles) misconceptions about adjuvants, preservatives, accumulation, etc. We know nothing useful about long-term effects or adverse effects of a coronavirus vaccine—it's been barely half a year, after all. Conversely, we're learning more and more about otherwise healthy young-ish people suffering from bothersome covid-associated symptoms over six months after they first had—and ostensibly recovered from—covid. I think this constellation of "long covid" symptoms and the like are likely to be more prevalent and more bothersome than side-effects of a vaccine—at the group level at least.

This is going to be a very difficult debate here in Sweden, where hundreds of people developed narcolepsy as a result of vaccination with Pandemrix, most of whom were diagnosed characteristically late. On the whole, vaccines are safe—and less dangerous than the diseases they protect against. Serious adverse effects do occur, but they're very rare. I have diagnosed four patients with narcolepsy that appears to have manifested after Pandemrix vaccination, but that's a special situation; my clinic occasionally has patients who've developed autoimmune neurological conditions shortly after vaccination (most commonly flu shot), but, even if you assume a causal relationship, those cases are exceedingly rare—more rare than similar conditions arising after a viral infection such as the flu, for example. There is no compelling evidence to support any of the common (in antivaxx circles) misconceptions about adjuvants, preservatives, accumulation, etc. We know nothing useful about long-term effects or adverse effects of a coronavirus vaccine—it's been barely half a year, after all. Conversely, we're learning more and more about otherwise healthy young-ish people suffering from bothersome covid-associated symptoms over six months after they first had—and ostensibly recovered from—covid. I think this constellation of "long covid" symptoms and the like are likely to be more prevalent and more bothersome than side-effects of a vaccine—at the group level at least.
    A lot depends on who's getting the side-effects. We'd have to compare the risk of serious complications from Covid by age group with serious complications from the vaccine. The vaccine will definitely be worthwhile for the elderly. But for under-20s? Who knows.

A lot depends on who's getting the side-effects. We'd have to compare the risk of serious complications from Covid by age group with serious complications from the vaccine. The vaccine will definitely be worthwhile for the elderly. But for under-20s? Who knows.
    Exactly, I think it's a foregone conclusion that young people here at least will not be lining up to get vaccinated. But people with elevated risk make up close to half the population, and I think uptake will be quite low in that population as well. Most likely best case scenario here is that institutionalized and/or frail elderly and others who are more zealously immunized—due to disease or certain treatments—will be vaccinated. Unless something unforeseen happens like vaccination requirements for travel.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Wow, this is great news if confirmed. 50% would be good news for a vaccine, 90% is incredible.
    I'm slightly annoyed that pretty much every article about this puts Pfizer front and center - when BioNTech is the actual company which developed this. They only turned to Pfizer because they don't have the large-scale production capabilities.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Interesting company BioNTech. I've actually heard a lot of coverage about them in the last few days, nice anecdote that they were working on their wedding day (makes me think of Sheldon and Amy in Big Bang Theory). They've done a very, very good job.

Confidence seems high that their one working is a good indicator the Oxford/AZ one should work too as they both target the same protein. Very different designs though with the BioNTech one requiring -80C temperatures and the Oxford one doesn't so they may not work the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    I'm slightly annoyed that pretty much every article about this puts Pfizer front and center - when BioNTech is the actual company which developed this. They only turned to Pfizer because they don't have the large-scale production capabilities.
    Agreed that BioNTech should share the credit, but it's important to note that scaling up production of a new type of vaccine with a whole host of unknowns associated with it is not a trivial matter. Nor is running a largish clinical trial at breakneck speed. Pfizer deserves credit along with BioNTech.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Agreed that BioNTech should share the credit, but it's important to note that scaling up production of a new type of vaccine with a whole host of unknowns associated with it is not a trivial matter. Nor is running a largish clinical trial at breakneck speed. Pfizer deserves credit along with BioNTech.
    Yes. But quite a number of articles put Pfizer first and BioNTech is a distant second.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

This guy is so fucking dumb and so fucking weird: