Page 48 of 127 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 3792

Thread: covid-19

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Some people simply fail at basic stochastics. Cumulative probabilities go right over their head.

Also, just today I argued with a Gonzo who insisted that only people who studied that very topic at university can know how well masks work and that he's of the definitive opinion that they don't work. Considering that he, in fact, did not partake in university at all this was a prime example of cognitive dissonance.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

What a bloody idiot!

I hope this chart works properly here. Fascinating chart someone has done diving into the UK's testing data by date, highlighting in blue any area that has received 5+ positive tests.

Can see why lockdown is being extended locally in Leicester while being removed everywhere else.

Click to view the full version
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Another Covid update as of 06/30. Deaths per million.

Belgium 852.03
    United Kingdom 655.37
    Spain 606.67
    Italy 574.93
    Sweden 521.45
    France 444.11
    USA 385.05
    Ireland 357.47
    Netherlands 354.42
    Chile 297.66
    Peru 297.1
    Brazil 278.39
    Ecuador 263.52

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Another Covid update as of 06/30. Deaths per million.

Belgium 852.03
    United Kingdom 655.37
    Spain 606.67
    Italy 574.93
    Sweden 521.45
    France 444.11
    USA 385.05
    Ireland 357.47
    Netherlands 354.42
    Chile 297.66
    Peru 297.1
    Brazil 278.39
    Ecuador 263.52
    Even with your bullshit thinking that this is the best metric, USA shows the largest % jump since your last update.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Data is data.
    Yes and the data you are demonstrating is that months into the pandemic the USA is the #1 place for deaths per million happening now. Proud of that are you?

Once again, not that this is some league sport.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Data is data.
    Belgium 852.03 +4
    United Kingdom 655.37 +14
    Spain 606.67 + 0.5
    Italy 574.93 + 0.8
    Sweden 521.45 + 30
    France 444.11
    USA 385.05 +20
    Ireland 357.47 +5
    Netherlands 354.42 +1
    Chile 297.66
    Peru 297.1
    Brazil 278.39
    Ecuador 263.52 +16

Since you love data so, much here's the change since the last one of these you did, and you can see that the US number is increasing at the second highest rate after Sweden.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Now he's not going to keep posting the numbers anymore.

Though I do wonder how accurate the figures are. Certainly we know Spain's are dodgy but how accurate are America's? I've heard reports of certain States reporting not that many COVID deaths but 10x as many Pneumonia deaths as normal.

I seriously doubt anyone knows the true number of people that have died from this disease, and pretty much any given country is going to be under-reporting. Reported numbers should be taken as a lower limit.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Agreed 100%.

Over the long-term excess deaths will be the most reliable figure but it will take a lot of time for some countries to publish that data. Year-to-date in the UK ~80-90% of UK excess deaths figure falls within the confirmed COVID deaths figures. Not all countries are that accurate, while some countries are more accurate. It varies.

But again as you said well: Its not a fucking league sport.

Working off-site at a library that is pretty much a time capsule to the day we shutdown to the public, around the time that we could start to see the writing on the wall; our government wasn't prepared or equipped to deal with what was coming.

Click to view the full version
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Number of hospitalizations in Texas quadrupled since June 1.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavi...eaths/2399028/
    Hope is the denial of reality

Official U.S. coronavirus death toll is ‘a substantial undercount’ of actual tally, Yale study finds
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/01/offi...ndroidappshare

https://www.fau.edu/newsdesk/article...oronavirus.php

Why are so many Americans against wearing face masks? Sad that it's become a political issue about personal Freeedom instead of public health.

No wonder the EU put us on their travel ban list.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Meanwhile, I'm fighting with relatives who keep going to church.
    Even VP Pence went to church -- with a large choir singing toward an even larger, unmasked crowd -- which violates the WH Corona Virus Task Force's own guidelines. Can't blame them since so many mixed messages come from our own government "leaders".

I think the US *religious leaders* are being selfish and reckless when they ignore science and public health, and continue to conduct large indoor services during a pandemic. It's not like there aren't safer options/alternatives. Even the Pope cancelled masses across the globe for a few months -- not because a government mandated it -- but because it protected people from harm.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    https://www.fau.edu/newsdesk/article...oronavirus.php

Why are so many Americans against wearing face masks? Sad that it's become a political issue about personal Freeedom instead of public health.

No wonder the EU put us on their travel ban list.
    My guess? Because wearing a face mask primarily protects other people from you and not you from other people.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    My guess? Because wearing a face mask primarily protects other people from you and not you from other people.
    Yeah, but that doesn't make sense from a societal level....where seat-belt or helmet laws, no shirt-no-shoes-no service, second hand smoke, and DUIs are acceptable public health codes that protect others from bad behavior.
    Last edited by GGT; 07-02-2020 at 03:00 AM.

I see Trump has finally come out in favour of face masks as it makes him "look like the Lone Ranger".

I wonder how many Trumpists will suddenly reverse feret and be all in favour of face masks?

Trump seems like someone really slow and dimwitted who needs to be managed. Whichever one of his aides was smart enough to convince him that it made him look like the Lone Ranger - give that guy a medal.

Facemask.

The Lone Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I see Trump has finally come out in favour of face masks as it makes him "look like the Lone Ranger".

I wonder how many Trumpists will suddenly reverse feret and be all in favour of face masks?

Trump seems like someone really slow and dimwitted who needs to be managed. Whichever one of his aides was smart enough to convince him that it made him look like the Lone Ranger - give that guy a medal.
    No, subpoena that mfer.

The Trump campaign is selling official masks as of a few weeks ago, someone I know got one and it seems high quality.

Florida blew through our last record, recorded more than 10,000 positive cases in a single day.

Winning!

Going over the numbers, every thursday report in June doubled (or worse) the previous Thursday. We're managing 70k tests a day, so our positive rate is climbing faster than our testing is, and a lot of testing sites are being managed by college volunteers, which will be returning to school in a few weeks. I wouldn't be surprised to see 20k+ a day before our testing setup collapses at the end of July.

July 4th is going to be a tipping point, then we have Disney opening up (refunded my annual passes today) and then the GOP convention after that. We may not peak with cases until the peak of hurricane season in October.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 07-02-2020 at 07:40 PM.

In case 2020 hadn't jumped the shark enough . . .

Love their hi-tech PPE.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

'Pillar 2' testing info (community testing) now in the public domain as well as 'pillar 1' (hospital) previously. Can see why Leicester has been locked down.

Cops are thugs:

Better call the police! :0