Page 41 of 127 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 3792

Thread: covid-19

To make good comparisons we'll need to look at full data when its available over a decent period. Perhaps from say 1/1/20 to 31/12/20 so long as the outbreak does end this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    UK figures go to May, Italy to March, and you think that's comparable?
    You used Spain as an example of poor reporting while UK is much better - they have a similar period and are much closer in reporting, so I'm still not sure why you think the UK magically reports so much better when the British numbers appear to be off by about 60%.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I wrote that before those figures were quoted, not after it.

Very interesting comment from another site.
    The FT estimates of excess mortality by country are especially interesting when you also look at their estimates for specific large cities or areas. For example (figures shown are the 2020 increase to date in mortality from all causes compared with an average year):

UK +61%, London +135%
    France +31%, Ile de France +137%
    Sweden +29%, Stockholm +87%
    US +19%, New York City +408%
    Italy +55%, Bergamo province +496%

https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-...3-955839e06441

What this probably shows is that crude death leagues by country are incredibly misleading, because so much depends on sudden high-speed exponential growth in crowded areas. It probably also suggests that there could be a lot more big outbreaks to come as things relax a bit.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

When even Fox News says you're crazy.
    Prophylactic use.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Quote Originally Posted by ar81 View Post
    Prophylactic use.
    That makes it dumber, not smarter.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Trump right now: https://tenor.com/s1MA.gif

Looks more like Boris.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Another mask shooting.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ave-police-say

I wonder if the media will do a demographic analysis of crimes of this nature like they did for school shootings.

Swedish authorities must be proud about beating the world in the per capita number of covid-19 deaths.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Another mask shooting.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ave-police-say

I wonder if the media will do a demographic analysis of crimes of this nature like they did for school shootings.
    I'm a bit confused. Most of the time you applaud it when people use their guns.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    You used Spain as an example of poor reporting while UK is much better - they have a similar period and are much closer in reporting, so I'm still not sure why you think the UK magically reports so much better when the British numbers appear to be off by about 60%.
    Because a lot of British people, especially Tories, have this almost subconscious belief that Britain is, in some nebulous way, intrinsically more advanced than other countries, especially non-Anglophone countries. So, yeah, of course they're going to default to "we didn't fuck up in a way which lead to 10s of thousands of preventable deaths, the just that the foreigners can't count properly, with their un deux trios and their einz zwei drei viers", especially when some of the Toriest Tories ever to Tory are currently running things.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Idle thought: if the virus has a resurgence towards the end of the year, I bet we can count on Trump being an enthusiastic supporter of quarantine orders around November.

And y'all brushed me off when I said he was going to find a way to fuck the election
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Loki is right -- since data collection varies so widely, the best metric will be all-cause/excessive deaths. Even our CDC has been conflating diagnostic tests with antibody tests...and states have different criteria for reporting deaths, and under-reporting deaths at home.

Can't recall where I saw the 5 year graphs showing similar death spikes in *all* countries, but it's not a coincidence that it started when covid-19 began circulating.

Just done the home test self swab. Not a comfortable experience.

How will your results be incorporated into national data? What kind of test did you use? Was it testing for remnants of the virus, or anti-bodies?

And what is the error rate?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I'm a bit confused. Most of the time you applaud it when people use their guns.
    I applaud when people use their guns to kill criminals. Keep up.

No shirt, no shoes, no mask -- shoot to kill!

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    How will your results be incorporated into national data? What kind of test did you use? Was it testing for remnants of the virus, or anti-bodies?

And what is the error rate?
    It was a test to see if we currently have the virus. No symptoms for either of us but we have very good reason to need the test, I'd rather not write why on a public forum though so happy to discuss via PM if anyone wants more details.

So our results will be incorporated in the daily testing totals, fingers crossed not in the positive column.

The test involved getting a swab and rubbing it against my tonsils five times (my wife has no tonsils so back of her throat), then into each nostril until there was resistance and rotating it five times each time again.

Lol:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...ted-officials/

Well I guess that's one way to win. Imagine they're not alone in this though.

It doesn't take a maths whiz or media genius to figure out people are being tested twice.

Hiding in plain site.

It doesn't take a maths whiz or media genius to figure out people are being tested twice.

Hiding in plain site.
    There's a difference between one person being tested twice and one person being tested with two tests at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    There's a difference between one person being tested twice and one person being tested with two tests at the same time.
    Why? When there's a high proportion of false negatives if there's a clinical reason to test twice is that wrong to do?

There are some clever people on this forum.

Does anyone know how serious Covid-19 is in asthma sufferers? I want to send my eldest back to school on 1st June but she has asthma. Not sure what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by gogobongopop View Post
    There are some clever people on this forum.

Does anyone know how serious Covid-19 is in asthma sufferers? I want to send my eldest back to school on 1st June but she has asthma. Not sure what to do.
    Make sure she always has her inhaler on her is the advice I have heard. There's some good information here: https://www.asthma.org.uk/advice/tri...asthma-do-now/

Thanks. I did come across that. I guess I was hoping for more on what the official line is (in this and other countries) and whether anyone has made exceptions for it. I can't see anything from our government guidelines so I can only assume that their advice is to send her. I may well have missed something though.

Breaking news. UK to implement emergency quarantine measures at airports.

Just in time...

Thanks. I did come across that. I guess I was hoping for more on what the official line is (in this and other countries) and whether anyone has made exceptions for it. I can't see anything from our government guidelines so I can only assume that their advice is to send her. I may well have missed something though.
    Don't trust us. Talk to your child's physician (ideally pulmonologist). They will understand your child's overall health and the severity of her asthma and can help you make an informed decision.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

AFAIK doctors have written to patients they're concerned about and told them to shield, if that doesn't apply to you she should be safe I guess. But speaking to your doctor (if you're able to) might be for the best. For piece of mind if nothing else.