Page 67 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 3792

Thread: covid-19

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

That's not very surprising. The main function of jails is to hold people before trial.
    Hope is the denial of reality

It's not surprising, but it's unjust.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    That's not very surprising. The main function of jails is to hold people before trial.
    Something has surely gone wrong if that is the main function?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Something has surely gone wrong if that is the main function?
    Jail isn't prison, is it?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Learn something every day, I thought they were interchangeable synonyms. I don't think there's a distinction in the UK, that seems to be a US thing.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Learn something every day, I thought they were interchangeable synonyms. I don't think there's a distinction in the UK, that seems to be a US thing.
    Its an easy distinction to miss because a lot of movies and pop culture stuff use those terms interchangeably.

They are. We have a jail here that is both a holding location, it's even surrounded by bail businesses, and it's a medium to high security direct supervision facility.

https://teamhcso.com/Section/708bcd1...ntion-Services

You have to be sentenced to more than a year in prison to get tranferred out of our local jail.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    A new vaccine that protects against Covid-19 is nearly 95% effective, early data from US company Moderna shows.

The results come hot on the heels of similar results from Pfizer, and add to growing confidence that vaccines can help end the pandemic.

Both companies used a highly innovative and experimental approach to designing their vaccines.

Moderna says it is a "great day" and they plan to apply for approval to use the vaccine in the next few weeks.
    Early days from phase III testing of another vaccine, but looks to be at least as good as the Pfizer one, if not slightly more effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

... and a third one on the way also in phase III testing which is also looking very promising, UK developed by Oxford University and AstraZeneca.

I am really impressed with the time it's taken to develop these vaccines, and how successful they would appear to be. Incredible modern medicine brought to bear on such a critical problem.

~

Vaccines under development:

It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Early days from phase III testing of another vaccine, but looks to be at least as good as the Pfizer one, if not slightly more effective.
    Early days, lots more to learn about duration of effect, more statistically significant results, and a full accounting for side effects. I'm cautiously optimistic but we should not jump to conclusions on the basis of very preliminary data. Also, you should not assume there is a substantial difference in efficacy between the two vaccines; I don't know the confidence interval in their current power, but I'd bet it's pretty big.

The big issue is stability with mRNA vaccines. Moderna has better stability data to date, but we're still talking cold chain shipping and storage, meaning it's going to be hard to deploy in rural developing areas. Pfizer's current stability data is pretty poor, though, so we're really only talking sophisticated healthcare settings in the rich world. Some of the follow-on efforts (e.g. adenoviruses and proteins and the like) may be more stable.

Good news? In theory it should be possible to make a lot of doses, very quickly. Oligonucleotide-based vaccines can potentially be deployed quickly.

The other consideration is dosing regimens. I think that even though they're running a bit behind, JNJ's effort may end up paying off in the end - they're pushing for a single dose formulation, and likely one with pretty decent temperature stability. The logistical headache of rolling out hundreds of millions of two-dose treatments, all spaced by 3-4 weeks, is challenging.

... and a third one on the way also in phase III testing which is also looking very promising, UK developed by Oxford University and AstraZeneca.

I am really impressed with the time it's taken to develop these vaccines, and how successful they would appear to be. Incredible modern medicine brought to bear on such a critical problem.
    I agree, this vaccine development has been nothing short of phenomenal in both scope and speed. What's more impressive is that we've been kicking the tires on some novel vaccine designs for a while but haven't deployed them - but have now gotten multiple candidates on totally new vaccine types in Phase III trials.

I do want to caution, though, that because of the breakneck speed there are going to be setbacks, and some vaccines will end up being more effective than others, and deployment will be lumpy at best. But all things being equal the biotech/pharma world has really stepped up here.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Just leaving this here:

Just leaving this here:

He has been a complete moronic twerp during the whole pandemic. Total idiot.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/17/u...ors/index.html

Gov. Kristi Noem, a Republican in office since 2019, has adopted much of the language of President Donald Trump during the pandemic.

The results have been devastating health-wise. South Dakota has averaged more than 1,400 new coronavirus cases per day over the past week in a state with about 885,000 people. Adjusted for population, it's the second-highest number of new average cases in the country. The state's seven-day positivity rate is a stunning 58%, and more people are hospitalized per capita than in any other state, according to the Covid Tracking Project.
    [...]
    Gov. Doug Burgum, a businessman who was elected as a Republican in 2016, had resisted a mask mandate since the pandemic began.
    But that stance became untenable in recent weeks as Covid-19 has run through the state. Per capita, North Dakota has the most new coronavirus cases and deaths over the past seven days of any US state, and is second in new hospitalizations only to South Dakota.

[...]
    In the country's least populous state, Gov. Mark Gordon, a Republican who took office in 2019, did not issue stay-at-home orders in the spring and has not required people to wear masks.
    Yet after months of advising residents to take "personal responsibility" to protect themselves, he admitted Friday that the strategy had failed. Wyoming has the fourth-highest number of daily new coronavirus cases per capita over the past seven days, along with sharply rising hospitalizations and deaths.
    [...]
    Gov. Kim Reynolds, a Republican who assumed office in 2017, has resisted mask mandates and shutdowns for months.
    Last month, she attended a Trump rally without a mask, violating her own rules on gatherings. She has ignored increasingly dire warnings from the White House coronavirus task force to institute a mask mandate over the past few months.

Now, Iowa is behind only the Dakotas in its measure of new coronavirus cases when adjusted for population, and the state has the fourth-highest number of people hospitalized per capita. Its seven-day positivity rate is more than 50%, behind just South Dakota and Wyoming.
    [...]
    Gov. Pete Ricketts, a Republican businessman who has served as governor since 2015, went further than almost any other governor in his resistance to mask mandates.
    In June, he told local government officials that they won't get federal coronavirus relief funding if they require individuals to wear face masks in government buildings. He said masks should be encouraged but not required, and put the enticement of CARES Act money behind that position.

Months later, and still with no mask mandate, the state has seen huge surges in coronavirus cases. Adjusted for population, Nebraska has the fifth-most new cases over the past week and the third-most people hospitalized.

I remember way back in the day of this thread, a certain individual was posting numbers per American state. He stopped doing so.

I wonder why.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

He has been a complete moronic twerp during the whole pandemic. Total idiot.
    He has been that since long before the pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/17/u...ors/index.html

I remember way back in the day of this thread, a certain individual was posting numbers per American state. He stopped doing so.

I wonder why.
    New Jersey - 187 per capita deaths
    New York - 176
    Massachusetts - 150
    Connecticut - 134
    Louisiana - 132

South Dakota isn't even in the top 10.

And if we go by countries - Belgium, UK, Spain and Italy in Europe all have higher per capita deaths than America. Hell Belgium's per capita deaths are *accelerating* compared to America.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    And if we go by countries - Belgium, UK, Spain and Italy in Europe all have higher per capita deaths than America. Hell Belgium's per capita deaths are *accelerating* compared to America.

Indeed, while the death per capita rate in the US was considerably higher than European countries while they were under lockdown through June, July, August, those European countries have had deaths skyrocket since they emerged from lockdown at the end of summer.

However, since those same European countries are now entering periods of further restriction and lockdown, the sharp rise in cases has tailed off and in most cases reversed.

Whereas the US, which is not implementing the same restrictions and lockdown measures at the moment, is seeing a steep increase in cases as below with no sign of tailing off.

The death rate will follow the flow of cases with the same delay as before, with a decrease in those European countries, but increasing in the US over the next few months.

New Jersey - 187 per capita deaths
    New York - 176
    Massachusetts - 150
    Connecticut - 134
    Louisiana - 132

South Dakota isn't even in the top 10.
    Oh I'm sorry, did you miss these?

"Per capita, North Dakota has the most new coronavirus cases and deaths over the past seven days of any US state", "Wyoming has the fourth-highest number of daily new coronavirus cases per capita over the past seven days, along with sharply rising hospitalizations and deaths.", "Iowa is behind only the Dakotas in its measure of new coronavirus cases when adjusted for population, and the state has the fourth-highest number of people hospitalized per capita. Its seven-day positivity rate is more than 50%, behind just South Dakota and Wyoming.", "Adjusted for population, Nebraska has the fifth-most new cases over the past week and the third-most people hospitalized.".
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Y'all conflate a lot of things but this is a marathon not a sprint. New cases have too many variables including: How accurate the testing is and how many people are being tested. Hospitalizations is more relevant but just a snapshot in time. Lockdowns obviously short term can reduce the spread of the disease however lockdowns lasting too long and you run into compliance issues. Especially restrictive lockdowns cause other problems such as worsening mental health, lower economic productivity and delayed medical treatment for other important procedures (such as regular screening, GP appointments, hell even teeth cleanings).

Whereas the US, which is not implementing the same restrictions and lockdown measures at the moment, is seeing a steep increase in cases as below with no sign of tailing off.
    One can only hope that the powers that be see in states where the GOP has been blabbering about restricting freedums and mask is a means of control will see the error of their ways.

In the article I posted, a lot fortunately do. Whether the population will follow the restrictions is up for grabs.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Y'all conflate a lot of things but this is a marathon not a sprint. New cases have too many variables including: How accurate the testing is and how many people are being tested. Hospitalizations is more relevant but just a snapshot in time. Lockdowns obviously short term can reduce the spread of the disease however lockdowns lasting too long and you run into compliance issues. Especially restrictive lockdowns cause other problems such as worsening mental health, lower economic productivity and delayed medical treatment for other important procedures (such as regular screening, GP appointments, hell even teeth cleanings).
    But you're allowed to continuously ignore population density right?
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    But you're allowed to continuously ignore population density right?
    That's like saying we should ignore gun laws when determining gun fatalities. People choose to live like sardines, obviously less choice is available in Japan but no one HAS to live in NYC. We have plenty of open spaces, so if it a state chooses to do so they increase the risk of catching diseases, that's a choice.

You do realize that medical treatment is delayed and impacted more if the hospitals are full than by a lockdown? Any lockdown allows regular hospital visits, GP appointments and dentist visits as far as I am aware. Hell, we have a 'lockdown' but I am donating blood , which is A-OK. As long as you don't have symptoms - so without a lockdown more people will be infected and fewer people will be allowed to donate (or visit the GP, etc.) to begin with. Plus with fewer people infected, sick leave among medical staff will be lower as well. So I call bullshit on the claim that a lockdown delays medical treatment, if anything it prevents delays.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

That's like saying we should ignore gun laws when determining gun fatalities. People choose to live like sardines, obviously less choice is available in Japan but no one HAS to live in NYC. We have plenty of open spaces, so if it a state chooses to do so they increase the risk of catching diseases, that's a choice.
    This may be the most blatant crack addled thing you've ever posted on theworldforgotten dot com.

So... well done?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

In my opinion, the Covid Leagues should deduct 200 per capita deaths for countries lead by people who just aren't very good at their jobs. It's not fair, otherwise.

This would put the US/UK down in the 30s.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Arsegravy in word form.

All of that gibberish means you're allowed to continuously ignore population density right? And that's fine Lewk. You do you. People chose to live in disease infested incompetently run GOP states, there is plenty of Open Space. So something something something.

Anyway, back to the point. Even the governors themselves are aware of the mistakes they made and they are changing their tune.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

In my opinion, the Covid Leagues should deduct 200 per capita deaths for countries lead by people who just aren't very good at their jobs. It's not fair, otherwise.

This would put the US/UK down in the 30s.
    It's only fair. We have tremendous numbers, just tremendous.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Isn't your argument about why communist countries suck that people vote with their feet? Well, how many urban residents move to rural areas and how many go in the other direction?
    Hope is the denial of reality