Page 47 of 127 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 3792

Thread: covid-19

I lost my assistant manager job. We were essential retail and stayed open but just didn't have enough traffic and they had to make cuts. Since the state reopened, I was able to get rehired by another former employer, but I'm back to making not a whole lot more than minimum wage right now. But at least it's still full time work.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Aw, man, Fuzzy. I'm sorry to hear that.

My wife's company is a fee for service company; their pipeline of future work is drying up, and they might be contemplating layoffs if things don't improve. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that, but my guess is that Covid will be weighing on their operations for quite a while...
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Florida alone reported 8933 positive cases yesterday. Our last record was 5508. We have completely lost control of this thing.

and to show just how stubborn our governor is, instead of simply admitting that reopening so soon was a mistake, they have issued an order banning alcohol sales in bars.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Lewk's role models are making things worse.
    (Which shouldn't be a surprise considering the bullshit he has posted in this thread)
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I lost my assistant manager job. We were essential retail and stayed open but just didn't have enough traffic and they had to make cuts. Since the state reopened, I was able to get rehired by another former employer, but I'm back to making not a whole lot more than minimum wage right now. But at least it's still full time work.
    How are things going with your parents? I remember you mentioned they essentially kicked you out of the house at the beginning of all this.

Let's just say that I did not call and wish my dad a happy Father's Day.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Crazy woman who tried to shame a Starbucks employee for enforcing a mask requirement wants some of the money that was raised for him.

“It starts with coffee but it ends with digital certificates and forced vaccinations,” -Crazy Lady

WTF is wrong with Americans? Seriously.

My son's bar/restaurant in Pitt. held a catered event inside with about 50 people, tables set 10 feet apart, masks required when not eating or drinking, followed all the state guidelines after going to Green. The owner had promised they'd keep it safe for the staff -- but the guests ended up shoulder-to-shoulder at the bar, yucking it up while they got drunk over the course of about 5 hours. Not a mask in sight. Not even when they passed the kitchen to use the restroom. Needless to say, the staff was *really* upset.

Here's the kicker: it was a group of Orthopedic doctors! Based on the pic I saw they might have been residents, but still.

Didn't see it mentioned....but the EU is considering barring Americans from traveling/entering since we've not contained the spread. Even some US states are mulling travel restrictions *from* high infection rate states. I don't know if that will work (at this late stage) let alone how it could be enforced.

Thoughts?

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...4gq-story.html

Florida bans serving alcohol at bars as daily coronavirus cases shatter record

Congratulations America

I'll ask again --- what the fuck is wrong with Americans?

Why do we have more infections and deaths than any other country, per capita? Why don't we have a comprehensive, cohesive National strategy? Why have we systemically under-funded Public Health? Why are people acting like the virus has disappeared? And why don't Republicans call out Trump for propagating lies during a health pandemic crisis?

I've reached the point where even Cognitive Dissonance doesn't makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post

Why do we have more infections and deaths than any other country, per capita? Why don't we have a comprehensive, cohesive National strategy? Why have we systemically under-funded Public Health? Why are people acting like the virus has disappeared? And why don't Republicans call out Trump for propagating lies during a health pandemic crisis?

We are a nation of cowboys. Don't wade too deep in Bitter Creek.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Fuck that, it's still propaganda.

False.

France, Sweden, Italy, Spain, UK and Belgium all have higher per capita Covid deaths than America.

I totally understand putting limits on businesses (that didn't follow guidelines). What I don't understand is why individuals didn't take the guidelines seriously, and voluntarily wore face masks, and kept a social distance. I don't understand why we're fighting our neighbors, instead of fighting the virus.

I don't know why so many people don't trust science, or why it's become politicized. Blaming it on right wing media seems short-sighted and/or politically motivated. Maybe if covid-19 made their dicks fall off, the predominantly male legislature would have made better decisions for everyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    False.

France, Sweden, Italy, Spain, UK and Belgium all have higher per capita Covid deaths than America.
    The US is only 5% of global population, yet has 20% of all covid-19 deaths.

I don't know what metric you're using to portray the USA as #1 in fighting covid-19, but you're wrong: the US has been an abject failure.

Wait, they kicked you out because of COVID?

Meanwhile, I'm fighting with relatives who keep going to church.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I thought your signature was in relation to what should happen to his father. Harsh but fair I suppose.

FWIW, we have crazy turnover for academic advisors here. They're always hiring. Salary sucks, but the cost of living is low.
    Hope is the denial of reality

The US is only 5% of global population, yet has 20% of all covid-19 deaths.

I don't know what metric you're using to portray the USA as #1 in fighting covid-19, but you're wrong: the US has been an abject failure.
    America is not #1 in fighting Covid nor have I ever claimed as such. I am telling you directly (something you can easily google as well) that France, Sweden, Italy, Spain, UK and Belgium all have higher per capita death rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    America is not #1 in fighting Covid nor have I ever claimed as such. I am telling you directly (something you can easily google as well) that France, Sweden, Italy, Spain, UK and Belgium all have higher per capita death rates.
    This isn't some fucking league sport.

And the pandemic isn't over yet. And putting pandemic deaths down as other deaths doesn't change things either.

There's a great deal of difference between many of the nations mentioned and each other and the USA as far as natural social distancing is concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Ordered curbside Thursday from a local restaurant. Got a notice on Friday that they are shutting down due to a positive covid test amongst staff.

Fuck.

Stay safe but do not panic the risk of transmission is very low so long as you followed social distancing. There's no evidence it can transmit via food AFAIK. If your face to face contact was outside, kerbside and minimal and if masks were involved and you washed hands then you're almost certainly safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    This isn't some fucking league sport.

And the pandemic isn't over yet. And putting pandemic deaths down as other deaths doesn't change things either.

There's a great deal of difference between many of the nations mentioned and each other and the USA as far as natural social distancing is concerned.
    I like how someone says "America is the worst" and I reply with actual evidence otherwise and you say its not a league sport. No bias there at all.

Just give it a couple of weeks.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Wait, they kicked you out because of COVID?

Meanwhile, I'm fighting with relatives who keep going to church.
    That is pretty much what happened. That or quit his job.
    Congratulations America

County is activiting library employees to man testing locations, including working inside the tent were the tests are done. But they only work on those sites 3 days a week.

The other 2 days they are to report to their library and work alongside staff.

Fuck.

You guys have the weirdest setup. More Florida, I guess. Here in California, the library employees are not considered a general staff resource for anything the county wants manpower for.

All government employees here are part of emergency operations. Our duties used to be phone support, but that changed this year. We are now mainly shelter support. It's mostly because we are the highest educated department (and largest) and the county's shelter organization has been a total clusterfuck in previous near misses.

Right now it's because the libraries didn't open as soon as the governor said we could. But they are reassigning so many staff to emergency support, and telling them to expect it to remain til the end of hurricane season, that we don't have enough staff to open.

There is most certainly an air that the staff are being treated as almost expendable by a management that has no clue what they are doing. Several of the testing sites that opened up with library support ran out of tests within the first hour.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 06-30-2020 at 12:33 AM.

She's so dumb it's not even funny:

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."