Page 121 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,630 of 3792

Thread: covid-19

If the EMA doesn't deliver an emergency authorization, a number of countries will bypass the issue by granting approval for their own territories.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

That's their prerogative. It would be foolish though to actively undermine the EMA.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    That's their prerogative. It would be foolish though to actively undermine the EMA.
    Think about a dozen member states have already accepted covishield for the purposes of travel?

Any source for that? Never mind. The number appears to be 7. Probably on the basis of the who recommendation.
    Congratulations America

Hey Steely, since Rand can't be trusted to relay facts accurately, can you share what the actual "lockdown restrictions" still in place in the UK are? The ones Rand is so hysterical about for their violation of civil liberties?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Hey Steely, since Rand can't be trusted to relay facts accurately, can you share what the actual "lockdown restrictions" still in place in the UK are? The ones Rand is so hysterical about for their violation of civil liberties?
    I expect that nonsense from Hazir but not from you.

What have I ever relayed inaccurately?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/covid-19...-and-cannot-do

Meeting friends and family indoors (rule of 6)
    It is safer to meet people outdoors. This is because COVID-19 spreads much more easily indoors. However, you can meet up indoors with friends and family you do not live with, either:

in a group of up to 6 from any number of households (children of all ages count towards the limit of 6)
    in a group of any size from up to two households (each household can include an existing support bubble, if eligible)
    If you are meeting friends and family, you can make a personal choice on whether to keep your distance from them, but you should still be cautious. You should read the guidance on meeting friends and family.
    It is literally against the law for three families to meet up inside currently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Also, your choice of words doesn't hurt anyone's feelings, it just makes you sound like a hysterical idiot (no offense, and I don't mean you are, but it makes you sound like one). Not just in this post, but your posting style in general. IDK if you think that's something to be proud of, but it takes away from your credibility.
    His IRL stories always paint him as the prick too. Everything from how he treated employees at the pizza joint and bar to the burglary, to the NIMBY attitude he expressed about his community. It just seems to be who he is. Someone who finds empathy and seeing the world outside his own bubble as...difficult. The Brexit and covid threads are just more of the same.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    TBH, I haven't been paying much attention to the specific rules, as they change all the time and these minute adjustments they keep making don't affect my day to day life too much.

The main ones still in place are you still have to wear masks in shops and you're not allowed to meet with a group of more than 6 indoors, and if you do meet you're not allowed to get closer than 2 meters to people you don't live with. Oh, and people with office jobs are still mostly working from home, I think - we certainly are.

The biggest change recently was that shops have mostly given up on restricting the number of people allowed in at any one time.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    TBH, I haven't been paying much attention to the specific rules, as they change all the time and these minute adjustments they keep making don't affect my day to day life too much.

The main ones still in place are you still have to wear masks in shops and you're not allowed to meet with a group of more than 6 indoors, and if you do meet you're not allowed to get closer than 2 meters to people you don't live with. Oh, and people with office jobs are still mostly working from home, I think - we certainly are.

The biggest change recently was that shops have mostly given up on restricting the number of people allowed in at any one time.
    You can meet in larger groups indoors, as long as the group comprises at most 2 households (which includes larger support bubbles).

Uncharacteristically incautious, but the gist of it is fairly uncontroversial:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2109285

I think most western nations are likely to see rates closer to 10% than 30%, with most recovering (for the most part) within months. But even that is gonna be a major challenge for modern western nations.

thread:

So the government here decided to end a lot of restrictions, ánd to allow people to use vaccination to enter clubs, festivals etc., even if you just got your second jab (so not waiting 2 weeks for efficacy). All of this when almost everyone has had their first jab, but particularly young ish people (including myself at age 34) have only had one.

I'm sure everyone is shocked to hear cases are skyrocketing fast, with several super spread events in night clubs etc., and they're expected to dial back some restrictions this evening.

Oh, and there's no quarantine required if you come back from a hotspot like Spain. Makes perfect sense.

If only someone could have seen this coming.. Like, say, the scientific advisors who explicitly warned against this.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Boggles the mind doesn't it.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

In this world? Not so much.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Our opening up totally backfired and was reversed in part.

Vaccination is going on relatively smoothly by now. We passed the 100 mark for doses per 100 people, 70% for single dose and 40% for double doses.
    Congratulations America

Here in California we have confirmed that vaccinated people are infecting unvaccinated people. That makes me think vaccinated people can also infect vaccinated people.

Wait, what?

The weakest link is the *unvaccinated*. The virus will find them, and use them as hosts to replicate and *mutate*.

I'm pretty sure he is doing what he thinks is best. He is Being Best.

Yeah, Hannity and Carlson (and other Fox News "opinion" personalities) were so busy lying to their viewers, it's probably too late to suddenly pretend they're advocates for vaccines.

They won't even admit if they've been vaccinated, even tho Fox Corp has a specific policy. https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/19/media...ort/index.html Ditto for congressional Republicans.

The Republican Party and its right-wing media enablers (including Facebook groups) are now the biggest threat to the US.

"Vaccination rates in assisted living facilities are not included in the data."

Data schmata. All they need is God. Thoughts and prayers will fix everything. Like that's done any good for escalating gun-related violence and deaths, either.

Maybe they're just not praying hard enough.

When I was a little tyke living in Kansas, one of my neighbor friends came from a Christian Scientist family --which meant his parents didn't believe in modern medicine, or vaccinations of any kind. Not for mumps, measles, rubella, diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, or even smallpox or polio.

<To be fair, it was common at that time for parents to hold mumps and measles and chicken pox "parties" before we had vaccinations, in order to spread the disease and be done with it. But smallpox and polio were totally different. No parent wanted to take the risk that their child would end up paralyzed or breathing from an "Iron Lung".>

He had a religious exemption for attending public school, but most Christian Scientists didn't attend public school back then, anyway. I don't remember him as a classmate...but I do remember him being sickly, with bouts of fever, rashes, coughing, and being isolated at home...and asking my parents why his parents didn't take him to a doctor?

We moved to another state, so I lost track of Tommy Houston. But I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being part of the anti-vaxxer movement, or part of the (R) party that *lied* to Kansans about the role of modern medicine, by appealing to their religious beliefs and *fantasies* that God would fix everything....if they just prayed hard enough.

Last edited by GGT; 07-23-2021 at 08:47 PM.

“Don’t you work with old people?”

“Yeah”

If you listen to her closely you can hear it..."okay boomer.....die already"

But only boomers can remember smallpox or polio before the vaccines. It's sad that public health officials can't make everyone younger remember how bad it was.

Which is sadly ironic in the Information Age.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    But only boomers can remember smallpox or polio before the vaccines. It's sad that public health officials can't make everyone younger remember how bad it was.

Which is sadly ironic in the Information Age.
    If she wasn't taking care of boomers for a living I wonder what she'd be doing?

Probably taking care of children in Day Care? Telling them not to worry about infectious diseases, but trust their parents are praying hard enough for the right things?

Hey, I remember hiding under my school desk during the Cold War "Nuclear preparedness" drills....

Our schools were designated as Nuclear Fall-out shelters. Of course it was propaganda, meant to make us feel safe in an impossible situation. And it worked for a while until it didn't. But no one died by being super cautious.

What I don't understand is how the propaganda has changed: it's now being used (perverted) by the (R) party in 2021, to undermine trust in science, and vaccinations, by telling people NOT to do something that could easily save their lives.

Even wearing masks can change the trajectory of infections...but (R) pose it as Freeeedom and personal choice vs Gummint mandates. As if they live in a bubble just because their news source comes from a bubble.

It's crazy stuff.
    Last edited by GGT; 07-23-2021 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post

Hey, I remember hiding under my school desk during the Cold War "Nuclear preparedness" drills....
    Damn you are old.

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Damn you are old.
    Yep, older than you, Gramps.

edit: But I feel lucky that I'm vaccinated against Small Pox; my scar is a reminder that my parents -- and my nation -- took medical science seriously. Ditto for polio.