Page 25 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: covid-19

The US Bible Belt everyone

Click to view the full version
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

To be fair, it's not like anyone here walks outside, virus or not. People drive to get somewhere across the street.
    Hope is the denial of reality

This is true, my county residents threw a massive bitch fit when the schools stopped busing for homes that were < 2 miles away.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    This is true, my county residents threw a massive bitch fit when the schools stopped busing for homes that were < 2 miles away.
    Quite reasonably if buses were an option before.

My daughter's school is about 2 miles away and I drive them, I wouldn't consider expecting a 3 year old to walk 2 miles.

Someone on another site I go to designed his own graph which I think is an interesting representation.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Just stepped outside for the 'clap for carers' and been told by a neighbour that my next door neighbour (who is an OAP who was shielding and scared of getting the virus) has been taken into hospital and confirmed positive with the virus and is currently getting treatment. She's been taken off the ventilator though so that's progress, fingers crossed for her.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    To be fair, it's not like anyone here walks outside, virus or not. People drive to get somewhere across the street.
    True, but it still implies a destination. They may not run a risk on the bus, but the stores/restaurants/bars are just as risky.
    Congratulations America

Sometimes, just sometimes, I don't despair about the future. Read the thread.

"When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Breaking news! It turns out that covid-19 is capable of asymptomatic transmission! This was only just discovered! Experts are shocked! If only we'd found out sooner! The Governor of the state the CDC is headquartered in must have been one of the first to find out about this development, and here's what he had to say today:

Quote Originally Posted by Georgia's Governor Brian Kemp
    "Finding out that this virus is now transmitting before people see signs, so what we've been telling people from directives from the CDC for weeks now that if you start feeling bad, stay home... those individuals could've been infecting people before they ever felt bad. But we didn't know that until the last 24 hours. And as Dr. Toomey told me, this is a game changer for us."

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Gatherings of any size have now been banned where I live. The state has also issued an executive order to stay at home for at least the next 2 weeks, and it's now illegal to leave your house for non-essential reasons - though that's broadly defined enough to include nature walks as long as you stay 6 feet (~2 meters) away from anyone else. The governor has stated that violations of this order will be prosecuted.

I'm glad we have such a trustworthy government right now given how well this crisis is setting us up for a switch to a police state.
    Now extended through May 4th.

And now the Dementia Society gives its take. What have the Democrats done?

I don't think many people trust Wuhan/China's figures anymore. A lot of evidence from the intelligence communities that China lied.

We were saying from the beginning that their growth curve was to exact. Their numbers were always fudged. Don't see how has anything to do with London's 100+ dead in a day though. Just like America's numbers are being suppressed cause we can't get tested.

Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 04-03-2020 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Breaking news!
    I feel so much safer* now.

*I screamed at the television while this press conference was happening; it didn't help.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    What have the Democrats done?
    Stopped Bernie, and preserved the status quo, i.e what really mattered.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

We were saying from the beginning that their growth curve was to exact. Their numbers were always fudged. Don't see how has anything to do with London's 100+ dead in a day though. Just like America's numbers are being suppressed cause we can't get tested.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

100+ in a day is not good but also not awful. I expect it will rise.

I don't for a second think that Wuhan had fewer deaths per day though. Not with reports of tens of thousands incinerated around the clock etc

Comparisons now are better made between Western nations and nations like SK, Japan etc. Not China.

100+ in a day is not good but also not awful.
    Are you unironically quoting the television series Chernobyl?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

No.

Aaaaaannnnnd apparently the White House staff adjusted the stockpile website overnight to agree with the stupid shit this FUCKING IDIOT ASSHOLE said.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...remarks-163181
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Aaaaaannnnnd apparently the White House staff adjusted the stockpile website overnight to agree with the stupid shit this FUCKING IDIOT ASSHOLE said.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...remarks-163181
    Because that's what's fucking important for the incompetent Trump administration to be doing during a fucking global pandemic that's going to kill a few hundred thousand Americans. Jesus fucking Christ.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

But I thought it was the evil lying media using the wrong footage file that was the problem?

The more I read about Sweden the more I think their system of government is totally bonkers.
    Congratulations America

No point going round in circles again but my take on suppression was based upon the government and media's definition of containment v suppression v mitigation.
    If you're arguing that you and your govt. were not using the definitions employed by the scientists that were supposed to be guiding your policy, that's not really all that reassuring. This is not simply a matter of terminology but of what each term entails; you could call them absolute nonsense-words from the Teletubbies if you like, but the govt's strategy was one that matches the definition (in this context) of mitigation rather than the definition of suppression, and one of the people guiding the govt's policy clarified that the intent was indeed to aim for (inappropriately termed) herd immunity.

The report you quoted gave suppression or mitigation as the only options and not containment.
    On page 10 of the report, you will find the estimated impact of (belatedly) implementing a strategy of containment in the UK. Containment is not as distinct from suppression as suppression is from mitigation.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    But you agree that it's not wise to travel 2-3 hours on public transportation, because that poses a greater risk for anyone, especially for senior citizens, and if your country's policies aren't grounded in scientific models around social distancing, it's an ever greater risk. Right? Otherwise you wouldn't worry.

I'm not criticizing your mother's humanitarian instincts. She sounds like a jewel. The only thing that's irrational -- or reckless -- are policies that don't protect people like her (or you, for that matter)
    We're talking about different things here. Most people in large European cities use public transportation to get to work. That's not a flaw. Many people have long commutes; that's just life. While I would indeed prefer for my mother to not work - to retire, let me cover her expenses, and, in a pandemic-free world, just enjoy herself and travel to dozens of countries, etc - I can no more compel her to do that than she can compel me to not work. It's not about rationality or heroism.

and it sounds like Sweden hasn't done a better job at that than the US.
    I am deeply disappointed with Sweden's approach to managing the pandemic itself, but Sweden - like most developed nations - has done a better job than the US in every other respect, for example wrt swiftly shoring up (already strong) support for businesses and workers eg. by massively expanding govt. funding of paid sick-leave. Many developed nations swiftly announced economic support packages to shore up protections that were already stronger than what regular people have in the US. We can all learn from one another, but, wrt the pandemic, the US has nothing to teach atm - apart from the dangers of letting racism and resentment seduce you into electing an utterly incompetent malevolent shitstain for a leader, obv.

Developed nations have failed miserably during this covid-19 crisis, but it can't *all* be blamed on Fox News, or even Trump. Those are just symptoms of larger, systemic, global problems that have been festering for decades, even generations.
    I was just criticizing Hume for his decision to abuse the trust he enjoys by endorsing a repugnant and stupid conspiracy theory whose purpose is to undermine support for NY. That's all. Hume is an idiot, and his particular brand of idiocy has, I think, been shaped by his affiliation with Fox.

In more positive news, my hospital's policies have changed. We are now much more liberal with testing both patients and staff. Our main ward used to be a hematology ward so we can easily isolate patients (one bed per room) and fairly quickly find out whether or not they're infected. Guidance on PPE, routines, recs for monitoring etc. slowly catching up to rest of the world. They've expanded ICU capacity from 10 to 50 beds in anticipation of growing numbers of covid pts in critical condition, and we'll have at least 50 more for covid pts who haven't reached that stage. Shockingly, they've managed to get enough personnel to make this work, mostly by reassigning people from surgical specialties, internal medicine, and specialties that primary deal with elective outpatient work. Elsewhere, a call for volunteers received 5000 positive responses from retired healthcare workers and students, so many that nobody knows what to do with them atm. Stockholm has triggered a previously-agreed crisis response package that'll see doctors and nurses in critical positions more than double their salaries; honestly think that money might've been better spent paying people to stay home. For my part, my workload has been exceedingly light so far, so I've been able to enjoy time with my family and start up a research project. The coming weeks are expected to be similarly relaxing wrt work, pandemic notwithstanding. My sister made it back to Sweden safely and is quarantining in sthlm. She's more afraid in sthlm than she was in DC some of my friends have likely been infected, but they're holding up all right so far; many more are under a great deal of pressure at work, but they're learning quickly and we're sharing our knowledge with one another in a way we've never really done before. Our apartment is getting cleaner and above all much more organized for every day. I'm getting a lot less exercise, but maintaining my healthier eating habits at least. My perception of time is completely outta whack.

In less positive news, the leader of a small but mainstream (opposition) party wrote an extraordinarily condescending and racist piece that served to single out Somali Stockholmers for some genuinely disgusting othering disguised as concern. Apparently they've been particularly badly hit by covid because they're culturally distant from real Swedes, as well as being illiterate. It has nothing to do with many of them being unknowingly exposed to wealthy jackasses who were yukking it up in the Alps or at Swedish ski-resorts during a developing pandemic, and then left to fend for themselves by the authorities. Provoked a string of profanities from my wife the likes of which I have not seen in the 10 years we've known each other. Also a surprising number of truly embarrassing and distasteful takes essentially boasting about how much better it is to live in Sweden than in eg. Denmark, Norway or Spain, because Swedes are so smrt, so trustworthy, etc. On a day when hundreds died in Spain, a prominent Swedish journalist saw fit to write about how sad it was that Spanish authorities were so... authoritarian and untrusting, how unfortunate it was that people in those backward countries were not in possession of as much common sense as Swedes. Pathetic, and gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    The more I read about Sweden the more I think their system of government is totally bonkers.
    I just hope they don't get away with it by cooking up some bullshit about how this couldn't have been foreseen, or, worse, that their actions actually saved lives (like Trump's hilarious claim that he saved millions of lives by not choosing to do nothing).

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I just hope they don't get away with it by cooking up some bullshit about how this couldn't have been foreseen, or, worse, that their actions actually saved lives (like Trump's hilarious claim that he saved millions of lives by not choosing to do nothing).
    It almost seems like politicians realized that to be accountable wasn't what they wanted in any crisis, so they put up this permanent smoke screen of autinomous agencies.

In Holland we have a similar agency but their role is specifically advisory. They advise government on policies. But besides this we see Parliament hearing them regularly about the rationale for their advice after which the political debate is between government and Parliament. Accountability is not slaughtered on the altar of expertise.

A good example is the matter of school closure. The agency found that there was no reason for closure. Parliament was not convinced, so in the end schools were closed pending further research into the effects of closure. Right decision or wrong decision? Who knows? But at least the people responsible can be held accountable by the voters.
    Congratulations America

I'm not understanding the UK governments advice to self-isolate for only 7 days if you are showing symptoms or have tested positive.

Talking to a good friend and neighbour on thursday, who is an A&E doctor at St Thomas's in London and currently knee-deep in treating London infected, the illness itself consistently lasts 8 to 9 days, and it is at that fairly exact point that the patient either recovers fairly quickly, or rapidly worsens.

8 to 9 days is not taking into account the incubation period before symptoms show, either.

Most other countries advise self-isolation for 14 days. Boris himself has continued to self-isolate beyond seven days as his symptoms have persisted beyond the seven day period. What on earth is the UK government thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I think you've misunderstood the advice which probably means that the government advice isn't clear enough. The advice is seven days from the onset of symptoms (so the pre symptom period is already gone by the point) or whenever symptoms stop, whichever is later.

It is 14 days if it's someone in your household to cover the pre-symptom period and if you get it during that 14 day period then the later of 14 days, 7 from symptoms or when your symptoms end.

Complicated. They should simplify it IMO to 14 or 48h after end of symptoms whichever is later IMHO.