Page 113 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,390 of 3792

Thread: covid-19

I get that, but you can't argue with it can you? Because its right, as I was right since about June last year when I started speaking about vaccine contracts on this thread, let alone from January when discussions became heated.

So yes I feel entitled to keep making the point that this was right considering how much odure certain people here chose to fling through months of lies and insults on this subject. When I get things wrong I have the dignity to put my hands up and acknowledge it. So since there's been no closure here I'll have some fun here instead.

We had some people here so illiterately arguing that the EU spending less than the UK did on vaccine procurement, or signing contracts three months later, had no impact on vaccine procurement.
    We even had some people here with such a lack of basic integrity that they were defending outright lies that the EU had caught up with the UK on distributing vaccines.
    Look how that has turned out now? It really shouldn't be difficult to put hands up and admit that was a lie, even get outraged that they'd been lied to rather than defend it.

If we can make fun of Lewk for his idiocy defending lynchings, I think I can make fun of those who spent months defending those who squandered the opportunity to invest in vaccines then lied about it - and haven't got the self-respect or integrity to admit they were either talking bullshit or suckered into lies.

That things are going better now though is definitely good news, it is good to see people eventually doing the right thing even if it took months and tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths per week to catch up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

There's plenty of things to argue with wrt your finger pointing, I just agree that cost is no object when it comes to covid vaccination. But even there I want to argue and take on the whole ethical question of vaccine nationalism just because you're being obnoxious.

If you don't like how someone isn't telling you they're sorry, just ignore them. I certainly have chosen not to engage with some people here because I don't find it a meaningful exchange. Feel free to do the same.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

I don't like vaccine nationalism either, I've said it is repugnant to block vaccine exports from legally signed contracts (something some people here have entertained, not me) and I've not had a dig against Israel or the USA or any other nation that chose to invest in vaccine procurement. Nationalism hasn't caused these issues, and there should be no schaudenfreude from others suffering - but the the issue as was raised months ago were that certain nations chose to penny pinch on vaccine procurement. Had the EU spent the same levels the USA and UK did per capita the whole world would be in a much better position now.

I'm capable of ignoring people, but I find it more entertaining right now to get the final words in showing just how right I was and just how wrong they were. Even if it comes across as a bit obnoxious, even if they're not big enough to respond, hopefully they'll read it and get the point. Certain people have had no objection to being obnoxious themselves, even when defending outright lies. The problem is there's an echo chamber online in some places with fake news merchants like Tucker Carlson, Dave Keating etc and certain people here got sucked into believing their lies.

Anyway, away from that discussion and entirely unrelated, it was nice to see two significant landmarks reached in the UK. Fifty percent of the population vaccinated and one fifth of the population with both doses.

Age range for vaccination eligibility has been lowered again now to 42. Won't be long now, fingers-crossed, until I'll be eligible.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    RB, I don't even disagree with your basic point all that much (though I haven't bothered to check the truth of the underlying assumptions), but the self-congratulatory and passive aggressive way in which you make it makes me want to argue with you.
    Didn't you get the memo?

The UK Can Do No Wrong (TM)

Last edited by Timbuk2; 04-29-2021 at 03:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

A comparison to Freddie? I can live with that!

Dave Keating—former editor of The Economist's EuropeanVoice—with an update on the vaccine passport discussion:

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Though that's a rather dry Tweet this time, Comedy Dave Keating has as much integrity as Tucker Carlson. Its funny to see you quote from him.

Though even in that Tweet, Comedy Dave trying to equate the EU with the US Congress is rather amusing. It will be interesting to see the next set of elections to the European Senate Council.

WSJ reporting AstraZeneca's application for EUA authorization—initially expected to be completed by mid-April—is now expected to be delayed until mid-May, presumably due to the growing complexity of the submission:

AstraZeneca Struggles With Data Needed for Covid-19 Vaccine’s Approval

AstraZeneca PLC executives have struggled to pull together the full data necessary to apply for U.S. approval of its Covid-19 shot, according to people familiar with the matter, further delaying its efforts to secure the Food and Drug Administration’s go-ahead.

The company said last month that it would apply for what is known as emergency use authorization for its vaccine by mid-April. It has recently told U.S. officials it might need until mid-May to finish its application for an FDA review, according to one of these people.

[...]

An AstraZeneca spokeswoman said this week that the company is progressing in its preparation of the FDA submission but declined to give a timetable.
    Article touches on the signaling aspect, but I don't believe it is as consequential—from a global perspective—as they're making it out to be, given the demand for all covid vaccines (including Sputnik's and SinoVac's); desperation is a powerful motivator. Don't really think this is all that good for Janssen/J&J either.

Just got a text inviting me to an appointment, going tomorrow morning.

Fascinating map. What the hell is going on in Sweden?

Covidiots were banging on about Sweden for ages, but I haven't heard anything about them for a while. Remarkable to contrast Sweden with the rest of Scandinavia.

Also interesting to see even though national borders aren't shown on this map there's certain nations that really pop out. Portugal have got this right down now too.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Good news. Enjoy!

Oh, my advice is to take some paracetamol beforehand.

Yeh, paracetamol.

12 hours or so after the shot we were both fairly wiped out. Aches, chills, eventual headaches, fatigue, brain-fog. Jab arm was particularly sore. Eventually took paracetamol which helped matters.

24 hours later pretty much back to normal.

2nd shot in.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Thanks for the advice. I don't have any paracetamol in, I normally have ibuprofen in, does it make a difference? Might pick some up on the way if it does.

Glad you got your 2nd shot Fuzzy

No difference ibuprofen or paracetamol here.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    24 hours later pretty much back to normal.
    Took a few days for me, was far worse after the second than the first.

Kids had their second doses today.

Definitely glad to have it done, though. Particularly since even the half-ass measures we had here have now been eliminated.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Brussels-based American-European journalist—and former editor of The Economist Group's European Voice newspaper—Dave Keating with more details on the proposed covid status & vaccine passport scheme:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/30/u...ravel-ban.html

Remember when Biden called Trump xenophobic for his China travel ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...ump-xenophobi/
    Cause fuck context, right?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Remember when 40.000 americans came home from China after the ban?
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Remember when infection and death rates just kept going up while Trump was in office but have nose-dived now that Biden is President?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Remember when infection and death rates just kept going up while Trump was in office but have nose-dived now that Biden is President?
    You actually don't really think this - but on the off chance you were that stupid:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...ilytrendscases

Obvious trend line going down, and do you really think Biden's day 1 shit actually are what caused covid deaths to drop? Come on.

You actually don't really think this - but on the off chance you were that stupid:

Obvious trend line going down, and do you really think Biden's day 1 shit actually are what caused covid deaths to drop? Come on.
    No you're right. Biden started before day 1 because a certain toddler was too busy with throwing his toys out of the pram to be distracted by trivialities like actually rolling out the vaccine.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

You need to post this as an image, preferably as a cartoon. Lewk doesn't read.

Careful easing of restrictions in Belgium:

I think it's clearly a stronger claim than your attempted blast at Biden.

Got the 1st Pfizer dose today.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Excellent news.