Page 32 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Thread: covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    How can you not see the connection with hot spots and public transit?
    You realize that if the planet is destroyed, we're all dead, right?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    You realize that if the planet is destroyed, we're all dead, right?
    Planet destroyed... lol.

Planet destroyed... lol.
    Yeah, god's plan is to destroy humans, not the planet.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Planet destroyed... lol.
    It would be nice if people who hold science in such contempt would also refuse to use scientific advances.

NHS staff already tested for coronavirus have been informed their test results might have been inaccurate, a health minister has admitted.

Helen Whately, the social care minister, told Sky News that those healthcare workers are now being offered another COVID-19 test after their initial test was deemed to have been "not up to scratch".

The Daily Telegraph reported on Wednesday that a leaked document revealed tests on thousands of NHS staff were found to be flawed.

The memo from Public Health England (PHE), dated 11 April, warned of "degraded" performance, meaning the test results are less reliable than first thought, the newspaper said.

It also said PHE testing centres have now been told to stop using existing tests by Thursday and to instead use tests supplied by commercial firms.
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...lawed-11976873

Fucks sake.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

A conservative interpretation of all-cause mortality in the UK suggests an excess mortality twice that indicated by the official covid death statistics, over the course of the pandemic. Over 40,000 deaths and rising—a staggering number, and a tragedy beyond words. And this estimate is already out of date! Though this approach has its limitations, it is—for the time being—the least biased approach to estimating the true covid death toll, even though it includes indirect deaths. The latest Swedish report on excess mortality is more than two weeks out of date, but even that report cast doubt on our prideful boasts of being exceptionally good at accurately identifying covid deaths. https://amp.ft.com/content/67e6a4ee-...3-e239799fa6ab
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I made a thread on what we can learn form the pandemic - key items like moving away from public transit should be in the conversation when all this is over.
    Not feasible. It is challenging and prohibitively expensive to commute into central city areas by car. I cannot reasonably commute to my office in London by car, nor can any of my colleagues - indeed I cannot name a single one of them that does. Many Londoners don't own a car and cannot afford one if they wanted one. My fiancée doesn't even have a drivers licence. The number of applications to obtain a drivers licence also is now decreasing year on year in the UK as the latest generation move away from car ownership as a means of transport.

Public transport is, and should be, the most viable option. More frequent and larger capacity services are desperately needed here, not less.

The 'conversation to be had when this is all over' in regard to public transport is timing of when it should be restricted in concert with other lockdown measures should other epidemics surface.

Public transport in London is one of the first things they are looking to open up as part of loosening lockdown measures, and necessarily so. You may not understand this in Texas, but here it is a necessity.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 04-22-2020 at 12:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    A conservative interpretation of all-cause mortality in the UK suggests an excess mortality twice that indicated by the official covid death statistics, over the course of the pandemic. Over 40,000 deaths and rising—a staggering number, and a tragedy beyond words. And this estimate is already out of date! Though this approach has its limitations, it is—for the time being—the least biased approach to estimating the true covid death toll, even though it includes indirect deaths. The latest Swedish report on excess mortality is more than two weeks out of date, but even that report cast doubt on our prideful boasts of being exceptionally good at accurately identifying covid deaths. https://amp.ft.com/content/67e6a4ee-...3-e239799fa6ab
    In the Netherlands excess mortality is also about double the registered covid deaths (which is also why they always include that the official numbers are likely underreporting). I think this is the case in most countries, although for example Belgium also reports suspected cases as part of the COVID deaths which makes their numbers probably closer to reality.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

The idea we should move towards or against public transport permanently due to a once in a century pandemic is absurd.

I think there's mounting evidence that public transport AND high population densities are key to this virus spreading. Mapping the virus to high population densities there is a very clear overlap.

But that's true for a pandemic now. The pandemic won't last forever. Making permanent changes due to that would be as absurd as keeping a lockdown forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Not feasible. It is challenging and prohibitively expensive to commute into central city areas by car. I cannot reasonably commute to my office in London by car, nor can any of my colleagues - indeed I cannot name a single one of them that does. Many Londoners don't own a car and cannot afford one if they wanted one. My fiancée doesn't even have a drivers licence. The number of applications to obtain a drivers licence also is now decreasing year on year in the UK as the latest generation move away from car ownership as a means of transport.

Public transport is, and should be, the most viable option. More frequent and larger capacity services are desperately needed here, not less.

The 'conversation to be had when this is all over' in regard to public transport is timing of when it should be restricted in concert with other lockdown measures should other epidemics surface.

Public transport in London is one of the first things they are looking to open up as part of loosening lockdown measures, and necessarily so. You may not understand this in Texas, but here it is a necessity.
    I don't know how its funded in London. But it *should* be funded by fares 100%. If no tax dollars are going toward it then by all means keep it. But government should not be subsidizing something that will cause pandemics to be worse.

I don't know how its funded in London. But it *should* be funded by fares 100%. If no tax dollars are going toward it then by all means keep it. But government should not be subsidizing something that will cause pandemics to be worse.
    I assume you have the same philosophy with roads? 100% privately funded no tax dollars at all?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I'm sure he'd also support a ban on churches seeing the role they're playing in spreading this virus.

You heard it here, folks. Public campaign financing should be for Democrats only. Since the Republicans demonstrably just make pandemics worse.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

These people are getting exponentially worse:

Couldn't disagree more. The government should fund infrastructure which keeps the country running, gets people to work, and supports the economy.

"Will cause pandemics to be worse" is a bizarre concept to apply. The pandemic is described as a once-in-a-century event. As I mentioned before, what we can learn from this pandemic which may be applied should another once-in-a-century pandemic happen in the next generation or many generations later, is around timing of implementation of lockdowns and the accompanying restrictions/bans on close-proximity gatherings, which includes but is not limited to public transport.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 04-23-2020 at 10:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Oh all the things we could scrap for the parts of the country that are in a boat with the remaining Koch brother; roads, mail delivery, phone and internet coverage, television. We could kick them right back to the middle ages. Where they psychologically should feel right at their place.
    Congratulations America

'I Teach At Oxford, But I Don’t Want It To Win The Coronavirus Vaccine Race'

This has to be one of the most abject moronic articles ever, wow: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b6b2e5b83ba372

Surprising field for the professor.

Air pollution: kills 8.8 million people a year
    Covid 19: 188,437 confirmed deaths

Lewk: FUCK THOSE BUSES!
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 04-23-2020 at 10:46 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Air pollution: kills 8.8 million people a year
    Covid 19: 2.6 million confirmed deaths

Lewk: FUCK THOSE BUSES!

I think deaths should be cases.

As much as I'm enjoying reading studies—and thought-provoking discussions about them—I can't help but feel like there's an epidemic of particularly iffy science going on, one that has snared even some otherwise exceptional scientists. All these over-hyped preprints, gah.

White parks matter.

It was planned from the beginning to go down like that. That lady is a crazy antivaxxer and "political activist". They already protested at the officers house too.

You're modern day lewk level attention whore.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Nobody quite does crazies like America. Isn't it just reassuring to know these nutjobs have an at-home arsenal of weaponry to access?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    I think deaths should be cases.
    Yep, copied the wrong number. Cases would be worse, 2.6 million vs ~7 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I'm sure he'd also support a ban on churches seeing the role they're playing in spreading this virus.
    Along with prisons, nursing homes, Veteran homes, and meat processing plants. And don't forget about cruise ships, airports, and international travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Well forgive him for trying to find other ways for Democrats to protect themselves despite their rejecting the idea of buying anti-malarial drugs from him.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I feel like now may be a good time for a lot of people to try to bury the hatchet and reconnect with their Fox-addled parents over a nice, relaxing Trump covid briefing. I think it might really help them understand one another.

Does anyone think people in Georgia are going to rush to gyms, nail salons, hair stylists/barbers, tattoo parlors, bowling alleys, restaurants and movie theaters just because they open before the recommended date? I'm sure some people will...but business won't magically return to normal.

If anything it could put workers in a bind since they can't continue to get unemployment if they've "refused" to return to work, even at reduced hours or pay, once the closure mandates are lifted. (Not sure if exceptions are given for covid19 -- that probably varies by state.)

And what happens when people on border states (with higher restrictions) travel across state lines to have a spa day, dine-in at a restaurant, take in a movie...and drive back home...likely bringing germs with them? That basically nullifies the stay-at-home orders altogether, rather like people crossing state lines to buy guns, and defeats the whole purpose of prevention. It will also make contact tracing more difficult.

I don't understand why some states can ignore science -- and even WH task force guidelines -- that put neighboring states at risk. <Kemp's orders won't even let localities have stricter policies, so much for local control.> It's not like the virus recognizes political boundaries or state lines. So what's *really* happening here?
    Last edited by GGT; 04-24-2020 at 03:40 AM.