Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
My neighbour and friend whom I mentioned before that is an A&E doctor at St Thomas's in London has said that whilst they aren't working on normal A&E caseload due to priority being given to Covid-19 as you say, they are equally working on those Covid cases, and are equally busy because of that.

What he has also said, which is contrary to the general impression given by the media, is that they are not more busy because of Covid. There are no extra shifts that he nor his colleagues nor his nursing staff are having to take - their normal shift allocation of resources is enough to cope with current demands due to Covid.
That makes sense, your friend is in London - and at a major hospital in London too. Wasn't St Thomas's where the PM was treated?

My friends I referred to are not in London where the COVID caseload is much higher as a share of population but the A&E caseload has collapsed without the same increase in COVID as has been seen in London.

That normal shift allocation of resources is being able to cope with this even in London is good news.

I imagine there might be a similar distinction in other nations. EG I believe in Sweden the statistical difference between Stockholm and the rest of Sweden is quite significant.