Page 60 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,800 of 3792

Thread: covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's dumb because Sweden's GDP took a massive hit and also because Sweden is the quintessential nanny state, whose approach to the pandemic has relied on an extensive welfare system that safeguards eg. the right to paid sick leave—and, of course, the right to healthcare. It's even more stupid because other countries have fared better wrt both mortality and negative economic impact.
    Oh, okay. Well, then his statement is either bordering on total ignorance, or he's using other people's ignorance, and a very cherry-picked number, to rustle support for some whatever-the-fuck agenda that he believes he'll benefit from. If that is the case, then he's a giant ass hole.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

And....the President admits to publicly playing down the covid threat, at the same time his administration was doing little to nothing to prepare, all while knowing the disease was deadly.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

I can see and understand downplaying the threat to avoid panic. Not necessarily agree with it, it was probably still the wrong choice in this case, but I can understand it. . . provided he was also taking strong effective measures to manage the beginning pandemic. Which was signally lacking. If you're going to lie to the public, you need to at least TRY to do a good job in protecting them in aggregate from what you're lying about, since you're trying to hinder their ability to protect themselves at the individual level.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Iowa govt's guidelines say those exposed to the virus for 15 consecutive min within 6 feet need to quarantine after exposure

So schools are literally having kids get up and move around the room every 12-14 minutes
    That's just their way of spreading the love.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I can see and understand downplaying the threat to avoid panic. Not necessarily agree with it, it was probably still the wrong choice in this case, but I can understand it. . . provided he was also taking strong effective measures to manage the beginning pandemic. Which was signally lacking. If you're going to lie to the public, you need to at least TRY to do a good job in protecting them in aggregate from what you're lying about, since you're trying to hinder their ability to protect themselves at the individual level.
    I think he was lying a bit to Woodward too. Or, rather, not elaborating on his intentions.

Everything he's done in response to the pandemic has been an attempt to minimize the impact on the economy, which he is acutely aware of being his one and only chance at re-election (since his Ukraine-Biden scam got exposed). In other words, Panic for Trump meant social distancing and pressing pause on the economy and putting millions out of work and so on -- what we would call "effective epidemic response." That's why he down-played it and he didn't mobilize the government to respond.

He made the choice to let millions more get sick, and a hundred and fifty thousand more people die (both still counting), to maximize his chances, in his mind, of getting another term. He could give a shit about people being afraid and panicking -- his entire re-election plan right now is to scare Americans into voting for him, ffs. He loves panic, just so long as the sheep run in the direction he wants.
    The Rules

JFC
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I think he was lying a bit to Woodward too. Or, rather, not elaborating on his intentions.

Everything he's done in response to the pandemic has been an attempt to minimize the impact on the economy, which he is acutely aware of being his one and only chance at re-election (since his Ukraine-Biden scam got exposed). In other words, Panic for Trump meant social distancing and pressing pause on the economy and putting millions out of work and so on -- what we would call "effective epidemic response." That's why he down-played it and he didn't mobilize the government to respond.

He made the choice to let millions more get sick, and a hundred and fifty thousand more people die (both still counting), to maximize his chances, in his mind, of getting another term. He could give a shit about people being afraid and panicking -- his entire re-election plan right now is to scare Americans into voting for him, ffs. He loves panic, just so long as the sheep run in the direction he wants.
    The issue is that effective public health measures improve the economy they don't harm it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

[tweet]1303782855017889800
    And those guidelines were only written like that to begin with so that schools wouldn't have to shut down due to passing infected people in packed hallways like we saw in those Georgia pictures.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    The issue is that effective public health measures improve the economy they don't harm it.
    What do you mean by "the issue is?"
    The Rules

What do you mean by "the issue is?"
    I mean that his logic is flawed and self-defeating.

If he'd tried to deal with this virus months ago then by November the economy would be healthily growing. Instead because of what he's done and how he allowed the virus to keep spreading the economy is still getting hammered.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

The issue is....Trump is a pathological liar and malignant narcissist.

I mean that his logic is flawed and self-defeating.

If he'd tried to deal with this virus months ago then by November the economy would be healthily growing. Instead because of what he's done and how he allowed the virus to keep spreading the economy is still getting hammered.
    I 110% agree with you on that. But... that was not the point of what I or Fuzzy was saying.
    The Rules

Trump continues to "downplay" the virus....telling his rally-goers that we've rounded the corner and we're doing better than any other country!

Liars gotta lie.

edit -- what I don't get is why so many people fall for Trump's lies and enable his Big Con.
    Last edited by GGT; 09-11-2020 at 03:05 AM.

I 110% agree with you on that. But... that was not the point of what I or Fuzzy was saying.
    I was agreeing with you and disagreeing with Trump. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Even if he wanted to prioritise as his top priority the economy and not health, he screwed it up.

ONS figures confirm COVID has started to increase again in the UK.

Hopefully it doesn't follow the same path as France etc have seen.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Told you so.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

This doesn't change anything of what we discussed. It is increasing from a low base currently and is nothing like March, as I said.

I never said the virus was behind us, I said the worst of it economical was which is true. ONS data today shows July grew at 6.6% on a MoM basis (approx 115% growth on an aannualised basis). We will see what continues to happen from here.

This doesn't change anything of what we discussed. It is increasing from a low base currently and is nothing like March, as I said.

I never said the virus was behind us, I said the worst of it economical was which is true. ONS data today shows July grew at 6.6% on a MoM basis (approx 115% growth on an aannualised basis). We will see what continues to happen from here.
    I'd be very wary of making such statements. Then again, you were never shy about making predictions based on hot air.

Had a very strange flu like thing going on this week, so decided to get tested. I was happy to get a negative result.
    Congratulations America

We've had quite a few professors miss time with fevers and it turned out none had covid (still needed to miss a mandatory 2 weeks). Flu season is going to create a giant mess.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    We've had quite a few professors miss time with fevers and it turned out none had covid (still needed to miss a mandatory 2 weeks). Flu season is going to create a giant mess.
    Yeah, I just went through two weeks of leave due to a cold. Though I did have a test on day one with symptoms (which was negative) and would have been nominally cleared for work the week after - the second week was due to a secondary infection.

And I completely forgot to inquire about this year's flu shot while I was at my doctor. Well, I was a bit preoccupied, so...

Better safe than sorry, I suppose. I did just read a story about Australia, which had the least lethal flu season ever, likely due to social distancing and masks. Hopefully, the same happens here.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    ... Hopefully, the same happens here.
    Have you read your sig lately??

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Have you read your sig lately??
    The number of people wearing masks and social distancing is much higher than in previous flu seasons (i.e., when it was zero).

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Lots of college parties reported around the US, spreading the virus. For anyone that excuses college-aged kids acting like "young invincibles", I wonder if they'd say the same about 18 yr olds in the military acting recklessly?

Anyway, Trump is holding campaign rallies with thousands of people congregating, without masks, in violation of local health ordinances. He's continuing to put his own voters in harm's way. They believed him when he said the virus would magically disappear, or it was a hoax, nothing to worry about, masks are for Democrat snowflakes, we've rounded the corner, and other LIES from the Misleader in Chief?

They still believe him even after Woodward's taped interview was aired...no excuse for Woodward to withhold that info, but it probably wouldn't have changed those peoples' minds anyway. We're officially in a post-truth and anti-science era.

With the US now passing the 600 deaths per million mile stone and cases on the rise again in the UK, France and Spain, as well as in South American nations we now have access to a vital new piece of information which no one knew before: it turns out that if you continue to things which allow the virus to be transmitted such as opening schools or allowing public gatherings, more people will get the virus. No one knew this before now.

Except the South Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, Africans, New Zelanders etc. They knew. And anyone who knows how infectious diseases generally work. They also knew. But the governments didn't know, so you can't blame them for what has happened.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Grim milestone - the USA has today overtaken the UK in per million deaths, which is absolutely insane given the difference in population densities.

Only Spain and Belgium now have more deaths per capita out of major western developed nations.

I'm guessing we won't see Lewkowski posting his dumb as fuck league table again now.

Sure we will. He'll just find other ways to be selective about the applicable data and distortive in its presentation
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"