Page 3 of 127 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Honestly, this escalated so quickly some confusion is to be expected. In the Seattle region specifically, this turned in to a full-on panic yesterday/today, so it's not surprising that facilities are currently overloaded and trying to triage patients. There's a ton of people who just developed psychosomatic coronavirus.
    This is why you test people at risk BEFORE it goes wild and they infect more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

thread worthy of a read. Have I mentioned that the US is fucked?
    I agree, its so unnecessary. As it stands the UK FCO has a list of countries and regions to avoid travelling to. The USA should be added to this list soon IMO.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Honestly, this escalated so quickly some confusion is to be expected. In the Seattle region specifically, this turned in to a full-on panic yesterday/today, so it's not surprising that facilities are currently overloaded and trying to triage patients. There's a ton of people who just developed psychosomatic coronavirus.
    Not buying it. This shit didn't originate here. We knew it was only a matter of when, not if, so why are we getting caught with our pants down this far into the problem?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I agree, its so unnecessary. As it stands the UK FCO has a list of countries and regions to avoid travelling to. The USA should be added to this list soon IMO.
    Where are you getting the information that nobody was being tested? AFAIK, there was targeted testing on everyone who may have been exposed, and there've been numerous quarantines on anyone who traveled to regions with confirmed outbreaks. You can't honestly have expected them to start testing all 8.54 million NYC residents - facilities and supplies are limited, and there hasn't been enough lead time to completely spin up mass production of anything.

Not buying it. This shit didn't originate here. We knew it was only a matter of when, not if, so why are we getting caught with our pants down this far into the problem?
    You guys are greatly underestimating how long it takes for these things to spin up. We knew it was only a matter of when, but until the weekend it looked like we had weeks left to prepare. Containment wasn't known to be breached until recently, and the virus hasn't spread nearly as far or as fast as people are acting like it has. This is a panic now, and the sudden and massive resource drain is exactly why we were trying to avoid a panic.

Where are you getting the information that nobody was being tested? AFAIK, there was targeted testing on everyone who may have been exposed, and there've been numerous quarantines on anyone who traveled to regions with confirmed outbreaks. You can't honestly have expected them to start testing all 8.54 million NYC residents - facilities and supplies are limited, and there hasn't been enough lead time to completely spin up mass production of anything.
    The CDC website.

At the time the CDC was reporting 472 tests the UK Chief Medical Officer who is tweeting our stats every single day was reporting 11,750 - equivalent to almost 70k in America if you scale for size of country.
    http://theworldforgotten.com/showthr...l=1#post212750
    Last edited by RandBlade; 03-03-2020 at 05:48 PM.

but until the weekend it looked like we had weeks left to prepare.
    No. We flew infected home against CDC wishes. We let the infected walk around free, we had people caring for the infected without training or protection.

What were we doing in regards to all the returning travels from infected areas?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

and the virus hasn't spread nearly as far or as fast as people are acting like it has.
    In all seriousness, are you sure? How do you know?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

You guys are greatly underestimating how long it takes for these things to spin up. We knew it was only a matter of when, but until the weekend it looked like we had weeks left to prepare. Containment wasn't known to be breached until recently, and the virus hasn't spread nearly as far or as fast as people are acting like it has. This is a panic now, and the sudden and massive resource drain is exactly why we were trying to avoid a panic.
    No it doesn't take long for these things to spin up, that's what the CDC literally exists for. Why would you have weeks left to prepare when the rest of the world was already acting?

Containment wasn't known to be breached because containment wasn't begun. Our media has been reporting daily all the warning signs, saying to self-isolate if you have any symptoms, do not go to see a doctor and to call 111 and someone on 111 will advise you your next steps. As a result over a thousand people per day have been getting tested based upon that and we've caught a number of people, almost all were from overseas. Those who haven't been overseas they've traced back to find who did bring it in. Those who've been in contact with those who've tested positive have been tested. Our Chief Medical Officer (not a politician) is in charge of our response and has been on camera every day since this began. Our PM has been on camera talking to the media on stage with the Chief Medical Officer and Chief Science Officer to try and give calm advice, not ranting against the media calling it a hoax and handing responsibility over this to his deputy.

The way to avoid a panic is to test people and isolate those who've brought it back so they don't spread it. Its not to bury your heads in the sand until after people start dying.

Please give me ONE good reason the CDC could only test 472 in the same time period we'd tested 11,750.

Someone on a UK politics site I go to has just made the point that Super Tuesday is going to be a tremendous vector for transmitting this virus, with your bloody electronic voting machines. :concerned:

I just voted and they only had a paper ballot, filled out like a exam with bubble answers and counted with a machine you don't touch (but using community pens lol).

but still, lots of people in long lines and tiny cramped rooms. almost all of them democrats

Someone died LAST WEEK in the USA due to Coronavirus but its only been discovered they even had it today

No. We flew infected home against CDC wishes. We let the infected walk around free, we had people caring for the infected without training or protection.

What were we doing in regards to all the returning travels from infected areas?
    I'm not defending the administration's response, just the local facilities ability to deal with the sudden influx.

@Rand - North America has been hit with much less than Europe has. We're at about the point of spread that Europe was at nearly a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    In all seriousness, are you sure? How do you know?
    There've only been a couple known breaches so far. While the 2-14 day incubation period is scary and implies there are more unknown breaches, it hasn't had much time to make enough jumps to affect a large number of people. People are acting like there's millions in the US infected already, but it's probably unlikely to be more than a few thousand. This is bad and going to get worse, but the panic that's happening right now is unwarranted. It's time to start taking reasonable precautions, not freak out.

If North America is where Europe was a month ago why would you have weeks more to prepare from here? Why would you be blindsided now?

Its worth realising that its believed the entire Italy epidemic that has broken out was started by just one carrier bringing it into the country. One single person who spread it to others who exponentially spread it to others has now resulted in thousands infected.

America doesn't have one person walking around with this infection. With 7 dead already you've probably given the mortality rate got more than a thousand carrying this already.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

If North America is where Europe was a month ago why would you have weeks more to prepare from here? Why would you be blindsided now?

Its worth realising that its believed the entire Italy epidemic that has broken out was started by just one carrier bringing it into the country. One single person who spread it to others who exponentially spread it to others has now resulted in thousands infected.

America doesn't have one person walking around with this infection. With 7 dead already you've probably given the mortality rate got more than a thousand carrying this already.
    Most of the dead were because the first uncontained outbreak was in a nursing home where everyone was already on their way out. You're extrapolating from the wrong numbers - you should be using the number of people with unknown infection paths. As of yesterday at least, we were still in the single digits of those. We didn't even get #2 until last Friday. Don't blow things out of proportion; right now panic is still a bigger threat than the virus, and you're not helping.

There've only been a couple known breaches so far. While the 2-14 day incubation period is scary and implies there are more unknown breaches, it hasn't had much time to make enough jumps to affect a large number of people. People are acting like there's millions in the US infected already, but it's probably unlikely to be more than a few thousand. This is bad and going to get worse, but the panic that's happening right now is unwarranted. It's time to start taking reasonable precautions, not freak out.
    News that someone died last week and they are just not discovering it was covid-19, and knowing that most cases are relatively mild (so also getting missed), tells me this thing could be, probably is, much more widespread than we know. When you keep using "known" as a qualifier, it says something. I'm not panicking, but it's kinda scary, and I have to ask some of the same questions Rand is - why the fuck are we just now getting test kits out to hospitals? What, did the Trump admin seriously think all they had to do was restrict some travel and it's all good? We've known this is serious for two months, and only last week do hospitals start getting access to testing kits.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    News that someone died last week and they are just not discovering it was covid-19, and knowing that most cases are relatively mild (so also getting missed), tells me this thing could be, probably is, much more widespread than we know. When you keep using "known" as a qualifier, it says something. I'm not panicking, but it's kinda scary, and I have to ask some of the same questions Rand is - why the fuck are we just now getting test kits out to hospitals? What, did the Trump admin seriously think all they had to do was restrict some travel and it's all good? We've known this is serious for two months, and only last week do hospitals start getting access to testing kits.
    See Lewk's recent post to this effect. Answer is "yes", and so did his supporters.

The administration's response has been dumb, and they waited too long to start travel bans and quarantines, and a more competent administration probably could have kept this contained for longer. It's a bit of luck that we managed to go as long as we did before an outbreak started. I don't know enough of the background on the testing kits issue to speak to it specifically, but it's unreasonable to expect local hospitals have the scale to test millions of people, and I don't believe Rand's claim that testing has only just started.

I just voted and they only had a paper ballot, filled out like a exam with bubble answers and counted with a machine you don't touch (but using community pens lol).

but still, lots of people in long lines and tiny cramped rooms. almost all of them democrats
    Same. Except for the long lines and tiny cramped rooms. My polling location is a 300-person hall in a retirement community center. There were two others there when I voted.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

The administration's response has been dumb, and they waited too long to start travel bans and quarantines, and a more competent administration probably could have kept this contained for longer. It's a bit of luck that we managed to go as long as we did before an outbreak started. I don't know enough of the background on the testing kits issue to speak to it specifically, but it's unreasonable to expect local hospitals have the scale to test millions of people, and I don't believe Rand's claim that testing has only just started.
    Why don't you believe my claim that testing has only just started?

The facts are out there. The CDC were putting on their own website that 472 total tests had been done in the USA. NYC Mayor's Office has just Tweeted out they've done their "first day of testing".

Its reasonable to expect a country to be able to scale to test thousands of people rather than tens or no people. We're testing thousands a day at the peak of testing while at the same time your CDC figures were going up in the tens not thousands.

Why don't you believe my claim that testing has only just started?
    Mostly because I asked for a source and you gave me an image showing that they stopped reporting the number of reported presumptive positive cases that have been tested as negative. Since it contained testing data from 2 days ago, it also contradicted your assertion that today was the first day of testing.

The facts are out there. The CDC were putting on their own website that 472 total tests had been done in the USA.
    472 tests that have been reported to the CDC and were presumed positive prior to the test. The CDC does not personally administer every test, and they stopped displaying the numbers because of the number of facilities that were only reporting negative tests to their state government or not at all. Reporting to the CDC is not required for every psychosomatic case.

Mostly because I asked for a source and you gave me an image showing that they stopped reporting the number of reported presumptive positive cases that have been tested as negative. Since it contained testing data from 2 days ago, it also contradicted your assertion that today was the first day of testing.

472 tests that have been reported to the CDC and were presumed positive prior to the test. The CDC does not personally administer every test, and they stopped displaying the numbers because of the number of facilities that were only reporting negative tests to their state government or not at all. Reporting to the CDC is not required for every psychosomatic case.
    No the image shows the stopped reporting the total number of tests which they had been doing, and the total deaths.

I also quoted an NYC Tweet showing they were now doing the "first day" of testing.

No the image shows the stopped reporting the total number of tests which they had been doing, and the total deaths.

I also quoted an NYC Tweet showing they were now doing the "first day" of testing.
    The wording in that tweet is fairly ambiguous. I read it as it being the first day of testing for the New York City Public Health Laboratory.

We are capable of testing over a thousand tests per day. CDC can currently do 350 per day: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

And they are hoping other tests will be available "soon".

Caught with their pantsdown. Lucky, bloody lucky, this virus didn't hit America first instead of Italy. It could just as easily have been America first.

It says yesterday someone was tested positive. Where are you getting that today was the first day of testing? (edit: ah, I see: it says yesterday was the first day of testing at that lab) And please read your first image more closely - pay special attention to the very first thing said. They're only reporting the tests that have been reported to them about people who have been "presumed positive", or in other words, people who have a reasonable suspicion of being infected. Less than 1/20 of those presumed positive were actually positive, which suggests some level of aggressiveness to the standard of who is presumed positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    The wording in that tweet is fairly ambiguous. I read it as it being the first day of testing for the New York City Public Health Laboratory.
    Indeed that's what I was saying, NYC is just starting now. And the CDC before now were insisting on doing the tests themselves and had done 472 total. Its a pathetic amount, you should have done tens of thousands of tests by now.

It says yesterday someone was tested positive. Where are you getting that today was the first day of testing? And please read your image more closely - pay special attention to the very first thing said. They're only reporting the tests that have been reported to them about people who have been "presumed positive", or in other words, people who have a reasonable suspicion of being infected. Less than 1/20 of those presumed positive were actually positive, which suggests some level of aggressiveness to the standard of who is presumed positive.
    You're mixing up 2 separate points. The NYC Mayor says NYC is doing its first day of testing (because NYC has no foreign travel to China right!?) while the CDC were saying total tests of 472 but have now stopped saying how many total tests have been done.