Page 109 of 127 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,270 of 3792

Thread: covid-19

Whatever. You're hostile and unreliable. And that will stick to you long after this covid-19 thing has disappeared from memory.
    Congratulations America

Investing first, investing lots and giving away the licence for a vaccine at cost is hostile?

You've lost your frigging mind haven't you? You've been driven mad by jealousy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Actually, the non-application for certification of the Halix plant could be a reason to sue. It possibly constitutes one of the exemptions.
    Possibly. That whole business is so goddamn' strange. I mean, it's possible the company put off applying for authorization due to production issues or whatever. I saw some people trying in vain to find information confirming that the plant had been authorized by MHRA. Might not make any difference for the EU either way, if the UK has a prior contract with HALIX guaranteeing priority access.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Possibly. That whole business is so goddamn' strange. I mean, it's possible the company put off applying for authorization due to production issues or whatever. I saw some people trying in vain to find information confirming that the plant had been authorized by MHRA. Might not make any difference for the EU either way, if the UK has a prior contract with HALIX guaranteeing priority access.
    I find it hard to interpret. AZ seems to have serious problems, that causes me to think that it could be either one of their blunders or intentional. Given the way they have tried to screw us over though, I am not inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt too easily.
    Congratulations America

"tried to screw us over"

By giving you millions of life saving vaccines at cost?

Your whinging is pathetic.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I find it hard to interpret. AZ seems to have serious problems, that causes me to think that it could be either one of their blunders or intentional. Given the way they have tried to screw us over though, I am not inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt too easily.
    Could be AZN, could be HALIX... it's especially interesting that the facility hasn't been authorized by MHRA either. The lack of transparency on the company's part obv doesn't help matters.

Can't vouch for provenance or accuracy, but, if it's legit, it's pretty cool around 10 facilities for Pfizer & BioNTech. Interesting to see how facilities are shared.

Those gullible idiots who swallowed lies about first doses not being relevant (despite one dose alone reducing risk of death by 85%) are going to need to find a new "alternative fact" to pin their hopes on if they wish to continue lying that the EU have "caught up" on the UK.

This is one of the worst most embarrassing papers I have ever read:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/eci.13554

Leaving it here as a genuinely depressing illustration of how dudes destroy themselves. Note the disclaimer.

0.15% IFR?

I can't believe people are still making such moronic projections.

Peru have suffered 116,480 deaths and rising by the end of February. To get to 0.15% IFR would require 77.6 million of Peru's 32.5 million to have been infected already.

EDIT: Within Europe 52.9 million of Poland's 38 million population would have to have been infected by 14 February.

The USA would require 364 million out of their 328 million population to have been infected by the start of February to account for their deaths to 6 Feb.

Can't believe people are still so stupid as to say these things.
    Last edited by RandBlade; 03-28-2021 at 01:06 PM.

Interesting prediction by Macron, I wonder whether anyone here believes the President of the French Republic on this one?

France’s vaccination rollout will have caught up with the UK’s “in a few weeks”, the country’s president Emmanuel Macron has said amid tensions over vaccine supplies.

At present, 11.45% of French people have received at least one vaccine, compared with 43.79% of Britons.

However, Macron told Le Journal du Dimanche newspaper that France had significantly stepped up the pace of its vaccine drive and said the UK’s rollout would slow down soon.

“In a few weeks we will have completely caught up with the British, who will meanwhile be increasingly dependent on us to vaccinate their population,” he said, referring to AstraZeneca supplies produced in the EU.

The premier’s remarks follow the European commission earlier this week moving to enhance the bloc’s powers to allow it to potentially block exports to countries with high vaccination rates.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...08774d1beac794

EDIT: Meanwhile the landmark of 30 million people vaccinated has been reached, with an estimated 85% reduction in morbidity from the vaccine. I wonder when France will catch up with that?
    Last edited by RandBlade; 03-28-2021 at 02:18 PM.

Just had my first pfizer shot.
    Next one in three weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by rille View Post
    Just had my first pfizer shot.
    Next one in three weeks.
    woohoo!!

less woohoo:

I guess these illegal immigrants will slowly be filtered out as life in the EU becomes harder for them. I would for example no longer accept British tenants without proof of their residency rights in The Netherlands. Before this year their passport would be enough to satisfy my obligations under the law. Today I'd have to see additional documents. All sorts of other services will be harder to get as well.
    Congratulations America

Sorry, posted it in the wrong thread

Dose 1 of Pfizer/BioNTech administered just now. I must admit I actually got a little emotional.

Mass vaccination was done pretty smoothly, looks like they have worked out a lot of the kinks. The site I was at was probably processing ~1k doses an hour, took me about five minutes from arrival to dosing. Scheduling for both doses was seamless. The wait list wasn't super well implemented but overall I'm impressed.

I cannot emphasize how grateful I am to live in a time when this is possible.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Great news Wiggin.

And in The Netherlands the use of the AZ vaccine has been suspended for people under 60. Like the whole damn program wasn't going slow enough yet.
    Congratulations America

In the U.S. The access to vaccin seems good.
    The organisation is probably what we could expect anywhere.

The biggest challange seems to be to get certain socio-economical groups to take it!?

Quote Originally Posted by rille View Post
    In the U.S. The access to vaccin seems good.
    The organisation is probably what we could expect anywhere.

The biggest challange seems to be to get certain socio-economical groups to take it!?
    https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covi...ace-ethnicity/

Some interesting data on that. There are racial disparities in trust of vaccines. There are also political disparities in trust of vaccines.

The organization of the vaccination is so slow that while waiting for the confirmation of my place in the waiting list I lost my preferential status on the basis of my medical condition
    Congratulations America

A good friend was telling me last night, while walking down a street local to her in London on thursday, a pharmacist came out of his shop and shouted out "I have 3 vaccines unused from today, first come first served can get a vaccine!" My friend jumped at it, first in line, was fortunate to have her NHS number on her, and got the vaccine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

That's one thing that's been done well here, is that the decision has been made that these vaccines are life-saving and so there should be no waste. Once the day's scheduled doses are done, any leftovers should be used even if it is random who gets it, not thrown away.

In other countries for some reason there's been complaints about who has gotten the leftovers, so some have ended up finding it less controversial to throw leftovers in the bin than give it to someone not yet due. Crazy - your friend's local pharmacist is definitely doing it the right way!

When I heard about the blood cloth thing this week (again) I thought; well, have they thought about the possibility that this is related to the use of birth control. And today I saw mentioned that very often the people who suffer from it are on birth control.

I really wish they would stop fucking around with this. They way they are behaving is totally destroying any trust that people can have in the vaccines.
    Congratulations America

When I heard about the blood cloth thing this week (again) I thought; well, have they thought about the possibility that this is related to the use of birth control. And today I saw mentioned that very often the people who suffer from it are on birth control.

I really wish they would stop fucking around with this. They way they are behaving is totally destroying any trust that people can have in the vaccines.
    Wrt the more common types of clotting issues, this question was touched on in the EMA's Q&A with the press, but they didn't have enough data to even speculate at the time. Wrt the more uncommon—and more alarming—issues, it's difficult to identify any such relationship. In much of Europe, AZN has been preferentially given to staff in health- & elder-care sectors, who are predominantly women—mostly in age groups in which the use of hormonal anticonception is very common.

You're completely right. A great many more people than should otherwise be the case seem to be the heirs to Wakefield.

I wonder if those spreading unsubstantiated scare stories about vaccines have ever read the side effects of the birth control pill, or Covid itself, or even paracetamol and aspirin.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Wrt the more common types of clotting issues, this question was touched on in the EMA's Q&A with the press, but they didn't have enough data to even speculate at the time. Wrt the more uncommon—and more alarming—issues, it's difficult to identify any such relationship. In much of Europe, AZN has been preferentially given to staff in health- & elder-care sectors, who are predominantly women—mostly in age groups in which the use of hormonal anticonception is very common.
    You realize your reply is wishy-washy to the point that I don't know what you're saying?
    Congratulations America

You realize your reply is wishy-washy to the point that I don't know what you're saying?
    The answer to your question "have they thought about the possibility that this is related to the use of birth control" is that they have thought about both possible association with—and risk of confounding by—the use of hormonal contraceptives; it was widely discussed before the EMA's safety signal review, and touched on at the presser immediately following that review. At the time, they said they were looking into it more closely—but they did not have enough data to even speculatively answer the question. It is a particularly important consideration for some of the types of clotting issues that have been reported (eg. CVST), especially because AZN's vaccine has been preferentially administered—in most of Europe—to groups in which a majority are women in age groups where the use of hormonal contraceptives (as well as clotting disorders) is common; in other words, it was known at the time of the initial review that people who might experience this type of clotting problem after vaccination with AZN's vaccine may well be more likely to use hormonal contraceptives (re. the observation that "very often the people who suffer from it are on birth control"—although it might not be appropriate to say "very often" about such rare occurrences). So the very straightforward answer to your question is: yes—they have thought about that possibility, and it is difficult to determine how—or even if—the use of hormonal contraceptives plays into the issue of more straightforward clotting conditions among people who have been vaccinated with AZN's vaccine.

What complicates matters are the rarer cases of more weird and more dangerous clotting problems that were initially thought to resemble DIC but are now thought to resemble HIT, giving rise to the term "VIPIT". There are very few reported cases of this possible complication, and the EMA's latest review (as of a few days ago) could not determine any patterns wrt. risk factors for developing this condition. There are too few cases for anyone to be able to draw any firm conclusions.

The uncertainty is just the reality we have to deal with, when it comes to answering this type of question; it isn't unique to this year or this substance. The straightforward answer to the more important question about whether or not AZN's vaccine is safe enough that the possible risks are outweighed by the overall benefits—at the group level—is: yes.