Page 38 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 3792

Thread: covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    When unemployment benefits are 3 times as generous as a minimum wage job, I don't expect those people to return to the job market until their 13 weeks are up.
    I don't understand that, but I think its optimistic to feel like there are 13 weeks to go until the job market stabilises.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I don't understand that, but I think its optimistic to feel like there are 13 weeks to go until the job market stabilises.
    The extra federal benefits expire after 13 weeks (though Pelosi is trying to add another half a year).

I'd just try to make people and small businesses "whole" again. Look at how much they made in the past half year and make up for any shortfalls in income/revenue they've suffered in the past few months. As much as I enjoyed receiving a $2400 check (which promptly went to vet and hospital bills), I didn't need the money. I'm still getting paid my normal salary. Won't be next year, but that's not a problem for short-term stimulus to address.
    Hope is the denial of reality

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-us-by-state/

I like the way the data is presented here because it is in per capita numbers. It wouldn't be fair to compare how each governor did just by raw numbers as each state has a different population size but by doing a per capita review we can tell how effective each state was in handling the disease.

Per capital data is only really useful once the outbreak is over.

If you have a forest of a million trees and a forest of 10,000 and both of them have a fire, the fire isn't going to spread faster in the million tree forest because it's larger so in the early hours of the fire you're going to have the same number of trees burn in each, and if you compare the number of burnt trees per capita, you'd come to the entirely erroneous conclusion that the fire was far more serious in the smaller forest.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post

If you have a forest of a million trees and a forest of 10,000 and both of them have a fire, the fire isn't going to spread faster in the million tree forest because it's larger so in the early hours of the fire you're going to have the same number of trees burn in each, and if you compare the number of burnt trees per capita, you'd come to the entirely erroneous conclusion that the fire was far more serious in the smaller forest.
    Its a lot more useful than raw numbers at this point.

EDIT: At least in comparison purposes for seeing how well a particular state government handled the outbreak.

To show, again, how useless per capital data is, here is some data tracking cases by state as they rise or fall. You might notice that several states that are at the bottom of lewks list are still showing a rise in cases

https://graphics.reuters.com/HEALTH-...kpb/index.html
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post

EDIT: At least in comparison purposes for seeing how well a particular state government handled the outbreak.
    It's not more useful, and it's not more useful for that purpose.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

We're not in early hours though, we are past the peak* and four to five months into the outbreak being present in our countries.Your logic works if the outbreak is confined within a 10,000 tree area of the forest, but if the fire has spread beyond that and is now across the entire million tree forest that's not the case. Per capita is entirely appropriate by now.

Of course that says nothing about demographics, population density and everything else you need to make an educated comparison. Comparing Smallville to Metropolis is never going to be reasonable.

Edit: * Well at least in Europe we're past the peak. Who knows what's happening in the USA.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

To show, again, how useless per capital data is, here is some data tracking cases by state as they rise or fall. You might notice that several states that are at the bottom of lewks list are still showing a rise in cases

https://graphics.reuters.com/HEALTH-...kpb/index.html
    That just means they're behind the curve potentially. No matter how you model it, that would place them lower down in total.

You can't claim effectiveness of a particular state government without knowing when the curve peaks, and for several states that peak hasn't occurred yet. It took more than a month from our first death till the 50th state reported a case. There was no starting line to judge states by.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Edit: * Well at least in Europe we're past the peak. Who knows what's happening in the USA.
    Some states are past the peak, others are just getting started. Some are past the peak, but are at risk of getting a second peak because there are states that aren't past the peak who are reopening prematurely and you can't exactly restrict interstate travel the way you can in Europe. Big ole mess, basically.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post

Handled. That's a presumption there that it's over. And it further ignores all sorts of things. Looking at NY State and Texas numbers and declaring "well Texas clearly handled matters better" on that basis alone is all kinds of asinine.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Handled. That's a presumption there that it's over. And it further ignores all sorts of things. Looking at NY State and Texas numbers and declaring "well Texas clearly handled matters better" on that basis alone is all kinds of asinine.
    Its remarkable the way some people think population density etc don't matter and make all sorts of stupid comparisons. Asinine is the right word - if Kansas had anywhere even a fraction of death rate of New York then something would have gone dismally wrong there.

Should Laura Kelly be praised for ensuring that Kansas has a lower population density than NYC?

Quote Originally Posted by Beeb
    Members of the Russian parliament have started wearing badges that purportedly protect the wearer from coronavirus, reports say.

The badges, which feature a white cross design and appear to be of the type falsely marketed as “virus stoppers” in Russia, were spotted at a recent meeting of the State Duma lower house

However, the US Federal Drug Administration (FDA) says the active ingredient in such products, the bleaching agent chlorine dioxide, is harmful and calls claims that it helps against Covid-19 “fraudulent”.

“Chlorine dioxide products have not been shown to be safe and effective for any use, including Covid-19”, the FDA says.

President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, has also been seen wearing a similar kind of product.

When asked by reporters if he was sure the badge worked, he said: "To be honest, I’m not sure if it helps in any way. I’ve read that many experts say it can be harmful.”

On Tuesday, Peskov confirmed he had been diagnosed with the virus and is being treated in hospital.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Belarus's President reckons that the virus can be stopped with vodka - which would make it remarkable anyone in Russia is sick.

I think we can take the numbers coming out of Russia with a mountain of salt. Russia will have many, many more cases than they ever admit.

There's also the more mundane issue of testing. Crappy tests and poor reach outside of Moscow and St. Petersburg.

Which is another way of saying crappy country with a crappy government that doesn't care to save it's people. Putin isn't especially bothered to resolve this.

He's bothered enough to make it look like he's trying. Reminds me of Trump in that regard.

Trump's very trying.

This is the weirdest most unexpected turn this pandemic circus could've taken, as far as I am concerned:

According to a whistleblower, the highly publicized—and severely criticized—Santa Clara seroprevalence study out of Stanford was funded by... well, you gotta read it.

I doubt it had any impact on an already-flawed endeavour, but good god is that an unnecessary embarrassment.

Trump's very trying.
    He really isn't. He has to be restrained by less idiotic aids every step of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    This is the weirdest most unexpected turn this pandemic circus could've taken, as far as I am concerned:

According to a whistleblower, the highly publicized—and severely criticized—Santa Clara seroprevalence study out of Stanford was funded by... well, you gotta read it.

I doubt it had any impact on an already-flawed endeavour, but good god is that an unnecessary embarrassment.
    The main guy in that study has been drinking a lot of Kool-Aid lately.

He really isn't. He has to be restrained by less idiotic aids every step of the way.
    Wrong usage of trying. Rand was playing with an idiomatic homonym.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Ah, long day. I don't even know what day it is.

Ah, long day. I don't even know what day it is.
    It's Tuesday.

I know Sodium bicarbonate affects some virus RNA. I wonder if gargle with it would be useful. Inocuous and cheap. Should we give it a try?
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    It's Tuesday.
    Thanks for the tip.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by ar81 View Post
    I know Sodium bicarbonate affects some virus RNA. I wonder if gargle with it would be useful. Inocuous and cheap. Should we give it a try?
    Yes, probably. Go gargle some, head to the covid 19 treatment ward of your local hospital, get some folk to cough on you for a bit, then report back to us ...

Quote Originally Posted by ar81 View Post
    Carthāgō dēlenda est