Page 1 of 122 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: covid-19

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default covid-19

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/w...irus-news.html

48 countries, indications of infection spreading undetected within communities, major stock market reactions, characteristically incompetent response from Trump admin which has just now been called out in a whistleblower complaint. Case fatality currently believed to be around 2% with elderly and/or otherwise frail/ill people believed to be at greatest risk of severe illness including death (but a number of young healthy patients have died as well), but real fatality rate likely to be lower. Some indications that existing medications can help treat infections, and several putative vaccines in the pipeline (Gilead stock surged on this news). Have plans to visit Toronto with the whole family in late April, beginning to reconsider this idea.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I worry about the interaction between this epidemic if it becomes a pandemic and American healthcare. Trump seems more interested in keeping up the stock market than taking this seriously and with reports that people who get themselves tested for this disease ending up out of pocket by $3,000 this can spread like wildfire.

This is an excellent example why like firefighting, prevention and immediate treatment is better than cure or just letting it spread and only fighting those who've paid to fight it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Trump seems more interested in keeping up the stock market than taking this seriously
    Flying the infected home on the same plane as healthy people against CDC recommendations was stupid, blaming the CDC for the stock market dip was a shit move, putting Pence in charge considering his history of what HIV did to his state while he was governor was even shittier. We're fucked.

Oh and Trump's adminstration keeps going back and forth on if a vaccine will or should be affordable to all, despite the tax payer money being spent to find one.

Oh and we already have whistleblower complaints about federal workers not being properly trained or protected while they monitor those that are infected, including using commercial flights in the 5 days it took for them to get the proper equipment.

On one hand, his response to this virus and it's connection to tanking the economy will finally wash away the last part of his legacy he hadn't managed to fuck up yet, on the other I can totally see his adminstration using their shit response to grab for more power.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 02-28-2020 at 12:24 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Flying the infected home on the same plane as healthy people against CDC recommendations was stupid, blaming the CDC for the stock market dip was a shit move, putting Pence in charge considering his history of what HIV did to his state while he was governor was even shittier. We're fucked.

Oh and Trump's adminstration keeps going back and forth on if a vaccine will or should be affordable to all, despite the tax payer money being spent to find one.

Oh and we already have whistleblower complaints about federal workers not being properly trained or protected while they monitor those that are infected, including using commercial flights in the 5 days it took for them to get the proper equipment.

On one hand, his response to this virus and it's connection to tanking the economy will finally wash away the last part of his legacy he hadn't managed to fuck up yet, on the other I can totally see his adminstration using their shit response to grab for more power.
    This is where we all learn, the hard way, the value of a competent government.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Didn't those bozos just introduce a bill which reduces the CDC's budget once again?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Didn't those bozos just introduce a bill which reduces the CDC's budget once again?
    I believe that's the White House budget proposal - basically shred anything that helps people/ invests in the country, balloon military spending, give rich people a tax cut again. The proposals, to my knowledge, are dead in the water on publication and seem calculated to appeal to the President's core base.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    A budget proposal that won't even get voted on - focus on it by the media is just political football by a biased embittered journalists.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    A budget proposal that won't even get voted on - focus on it by the media is just political football by a biased embittered journalists.
    Attacking the media for reporting on a budget introduced by Trump. The Republican Party in a nutshell.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Probably the group most at risk.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

They've included midterms in that list, so that means every other year is an election year. And the dates are wrong!

SARS was late 2002 to 2004 with the bulk of it being in 2003.
    Avian was around for years but worst in 2007
    Swine flu was 2009 predominantly tailing off in 2010. The Wiki page for its outbreak is even called "2009 flu pandemic"
    Zika was 15 to 16

All it really shows is there's frequently epidemics, not that they're exceptionally in election years.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I understand totally nothing about the Dutch way of dealing with this. I do know that the second diagnosed is a clerical worker in the hospital I can see from my living room. Guess that some caution with someone returning from a vacation in the Italian Corona ground zero was too much to expect.

Today I had two weeks worth of food delivered.
    Congratulations America

To me it seems there's only one sensible way to deal with. Containment, treatment and isolation.

Tomorrow is the meteorological last day of winter and natural flu season and seasonal pressure on the health system will abate. The summer will probably, but not definitely, make this illness easier to handle too. The more containment now the better.

Any idea what weather they have in Malaysia? I would not be too certain about this 'it will peter out in summer' theory.
    Congratulations America

Trump says it will be a miracle, or maybe seasonal, when the virus goes away, but who knows?! It might get worse before it gets better, but the US has this thing locked up tight. No worries! He also says the markets and the media are conspiring against him. His chief of staff said people should just turn off their TVs for a while.

And VP Pence has been put in charge...with all public statements going thru him first. Don't believe what you're reading, or hearing, unless it comes from VP Pence. He'll pray for guidance. And fit that into Trump's campaign speeches and rallies. After all, he doesn't have anything else to do.

Last edited by GGT; 02-29-2020 at 05:20 AM.

Is the best solution to this kind of thing just to significantly curtail global air travel for like a month when it becomes clear it's so easily spreadable? Sure there's economic impact, but isn't that just a cost of globalism?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Is the best solution to this kind of thing just to significantly curtail global air travel for like a month when it becomes clear it's so easily spreadable? Sure there's economic impact, but isn't that just a cost of globalism?
    Depends where the travel is from, plus the horse has already bolted. I think the best solution is to keep testing and isolating those who're at risk while quarantining anyone returning from an at risk area. At risk areas certainly shouldn't be travelled to for trivial reasons and anyone travelling there should know a quarantine will be necessary afterwards.

The American reaction to this is making me angry though. Western nations are trying hard to curtail this, but then the POTUS tells people its a media hoax and the virus is spreading unchecked in America as they're not even testing people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    This is a good solution - especially from countries with high (relatively speaking) infection rates. Not traveling to places like China, SK, Italy etc. Securing borders is also of importance and dove tails nicely with existing administration aims.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    This is a good solution - especially from countries with high (relatively speaking) infection rates. Not traveling to places like China, SK, Italy etc. Securing borders is also of importance and dove tails nicely with existing administration aims.
    No its not the solution, that's like suggesting sending a nuclear bomb at the stable after the horse has bolted. Testing people who are in your country who are at risk is a solution that works and the CDC isn't doing it - and people who've requested tests are getting $3000 invoices for doing the right thing.

When you're trying to stop an epidemic or potential pandemic do you think charging people to get tested is a smart move? Or should the CDC/federal government cover that?

First US death happened at the second closest hospital to me. There've been another couple unexplained cases too, which means that the virus is in all likelihood now loose in the wild here, at least on the west coast.

@Aimless: You should wait to decide about cancelling your April travel plans unless there's some penalty for late cancellation. By late April there's a good chance this whole thing will be over and it'll be safe to travel again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    First US death happened at the second closest hospital to me. There've been another couple unexplained cases too, which means that the virus is in all likelihood now loose in the wild here, at least on the west coast.

@Aimless: You should wait to decide about cancelling your April travel plans unless there's some penalty for late cancellation. By late April there's a good chance this whole thing will be over and it'll be safe to travel again.
    Time flies? Like I said, this virus is exposing our structural faults and flaws, especially in Public Health and Healthcare. Trump is acting "surprised" that African Americans have higher rates of death, even tho they have higher co-morbidity -- directly related to income and access disparities -- but he's gonna look into that.

Just waiting for the crisis to hit (white) rural red states with crappy healthcare, his "base" voters who fit the same poverty metrics.
    Last edited by GGT; 04-08-2020 at 12:10 AM.

Confirmed case in NYC. https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coro...cials/2308155/
    It was only a matter of time. At least NY has a robust public health dept. with plenty of resources, unlike some other states.

I agree with Rand that testing costs should be covered by the federal govt. And it's outrageous if patients are being charged $3,000. This new virus has exposed the flaws in the US healthcare system, and the role of the federal govt. Can't wait to see that on the presidential debate stage.

Confirmed case in my county and a neighboring county. State already tried to claim it as a hoax, but had to backtrack on that 12 hours later.

We are so fucked.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Every state with a large senior population should be worried about this virus spreading *thru the healthcare system*. If they're just now preparing for unintended consequences, they're already behind the 8 ball.

America isn't even bothering to quarantine those returning from Wuhan. https://www.fox7austin.com/news/cdc-...or-coronavirus

USA, having conducted 472 tests has found 89 cases and has had two deaths.
    Meanwhile the UK has conducted 11,750 tests, found 35 and so far has had no deaths.

Does anyone have any confidence the USA is even close to identifying all its cases?

Of course we haven't and we're not going to.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

So a coworker of mine is in quarantine because he was in contact with someone who tested positive...
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Had a college "self-isolate" because they came back from northern Italy..
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come