Page 100 of 127 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 3,000 of 3792

Thread: covid-19

Vaccines going to the third world

Fantastic news.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Honestly a little funny how personally he keeps taking this. Kudos the Serum Institute of India
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

How personally who is taking what?

Interesting story, hopefully before too long European politicians set their hubris to one side and learn some lessons. Lives are at stake. https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...llout-12227957

Not looking likely yet when still peddling these unbelievable lies. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...rsula-von-der/
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    How personally who is taking what?
    "Hugo", and everything that has to do with AstraZeneca. I guess "International vaccine fund COVAX pays Serum Institute of India to produce 600,000 doses of Oxford's vaccine for Ghana" doesn't have a sufficiently jingoistic ring to it

Interesting story, hopefully before too long European politicians set their hubris to one side and learn some lessons. Lives are at stake. https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...llout-12227957
    "Germany's top-selling newspaper" aka. "Germany's equivalent of the Daily Mail, the Daily Mirror and the Express"

Not looking likely yet when still peddling these unbelievable lies. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...rsula-von-der/
    Which of her statements do you believe are lies?
    Last edited by Aimless; 02-24-2021 at 09:34 PM.

What do you think of the idea of vaccine passports for domestic use? Sounds like they're keeping their options open on that and so long as its open to everyone to have received a vaccine by that point then I think its a good idea.

EG one scheme I've heard suggested is that for clubs, stadiums, theatres etc that those who are vaccinated could get an app-based 'passport' while the unvaccinated would be required to pay for and take a lateral flow test before being allowed entry. Tests are unpleasant and antivax refuseniks would hopefully realise that a free vaccine is better than paying for and swabbing your nose or throat every time you want to go to a major event. Scheme would only be fair or work if vaccines are available to all though, I'd oppose domestic vaccine passports if vaccines aren't even available to us yet. What do you think of the idea?
    Yeah I think I'm in favour.

For international travel - probably moreso. I see Greece is already considering vaccination passport checks to allow UK residents to visit.

Domestically - why not. If it will allow me in to a stadium to see the rugby or in to a venue to see a band or a concert, bring it on. And if it prevents those who are not vaccinated from doing the same, why do i care. Assuming that is they are not vaccinated through refusal and not some other reason. I've not heard of a valid reason why someone couldn't get a vaccination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian
    Pfizer Covid vaccine 94% effective in peer-reviewed, real-world mass study

Author of first study of Israel’s vaccination programme to be peer-reviewed hails ‘surprising’ results

The first major real-world study of the Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine to be independently reviewed has shown that the jab is as good as the trials promised, in a potentially landmark moment for countries desperate to end lockdowns and reopen economies.

A study of 1.2 million people in Israel, which has vaccinated most of its population with the Pfizer vaccine over the last two months, found that two doses cut symptomatic cases by 94% across all age groups and severe illness by 92%. The data was peer-reviewed and published in the highly regarded New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM).

“This study in a nationwide mass vaccination setting suggests that the … vaccine is effective for a wide range of Covid-19–related outcomes, a finding consistent with that of the randomised trial,” says the paper.

The study can throw no light on how well the vaccine works against the South African variant, which has been causing concern. The vaccine companies, including Pfizer, are all in the early stages of developing new or tweaked vaccines to ensure they protect against variants.

Pfizer has now announced an additional strategy. It will trial a booster shot of the existing vaccine. Those people who received the two-dose vaccine in the earliest stages of the trials, six to 12 months ago, will be offered another dose to see whether the antibodies they produce are enough to neutralise the variant.

The research paper from Israel in the NEJM is the first fully evaluated study of the impact of the Pfizer vaccine in a mass vaccination programme, as opposed to the carefully controlled conditions of a clinical trial in which people with some health conditions or particular risks would not be included.
    Concrete, real-world results from a two-dose Pfizer vaccination regime give better-than-forecast results. Fuckin A

Testing on the SA variant and booster programmes next.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Concrete, real-world results from a two-dose Pfizer vaccination regime give better-than-forecast results. Fuckin A

Testing on the SA variant and booster programmes next.
    The paper was refreshing to read, it was fairly competently analyzed and executed. I have some quibbles on their exclusion criteria and look forward to seeing some analysis on particularly vulnerable subgroups like nursing home residents that were excluded. I also look forward to longer term followup.

It's fascinating if you dig into the paper you'll see that the CIs are still huge for some of the outcomes, even with a 1 million+ patient sample. There were so few events in the relatively short reporting time that CIs are still pretty broad. It was good to see that any really deleterious outcomes like hospitalization, severe covid, death, etc. pretty much dropped to zero by 28-35 days.

I really wish that more real-world data was reported this cleanly.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Good news all around it seems from vaccines.

And Moderna have created the first variant vaccine too.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Yeah I think I'm in favour.

For international travel - probably moreso. I see Greece is already considering vaccination passport checks to allow UK residents to visit.

Domestically - why not. If it will allow me in to a stadium to see the rugby or in to a venue to see a band or a concert, bring it on. And if it prevents those who are not vaccinated from doing the same, why do i care. Assuming that is they are not vaccinated through refusal and not some other reason. I've not heard of a valid reason why someone couldn't get a vaccination.
    I don't know about this vaccine, but for others I think immunological disorders are medical reasons to avoid vaccines (which is no problem if the rate is high enough for herd immunity).

I would have some concerns depending on how it would be implemented, to be honest. For things like rugby and concerts, sure, but you do have to make sure it won't be abused.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

People with valid medical excuses can get a variant of the same passport.
    Hope is the denial of reality

More good news from Pfizer

Wondering when we'll see California-Franco-German vaccine hesitancy be a main limiting factor, instead of supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Which of her statements do you believe are lies?
    How about the claim the EU is "catching up" on the United Kingdom's vaccine rollout. Bizzare definition of "catching up" you must have if that didn't raise red flags as a lie.

Not that I am overly interested, but merely dispensing a first injection isn't exactly the same as a person fully immunized.
    Congratulations America

Of course its not, nor is leaving someone unvaccinated the same as giving them a first injection. *shrug*

Whether first or second vaccines the UK has done roughly five times as many doses per capita as the EU have whether first or second. The UK doing more first is a choice, but that doesn't explain doing five times as many and there's no honest way to say that the EU is "catching up". It has as much integrity as if Boris was to say we were catching up with Israel - why bother saying such a preposterous lie?

I've notice a number of European commentators looking to act as if only those with two doses count which is patently absurd, this isn't a pissing contest but even if it was then setting that metric up as the important one is not going to look good in Europe's favour in a few weeks time. Why some people are constitutionally incapable of admitting the UK is doing better on this, accepting that and moving on is beyond me.

I'm not upset Israel is doing better, it is what it is so what's the problem? Why tell lies?

How about the claim the EU is "catching up" on the United Kingdom's vaccine rollout. Bizzare definition of "catching up" you must have if that didn't raise red flags as a lie.

The EU's priority is full immunization. This should've been clear from that paragraph you're talking about. By that metric, EU countries have not only "caught up" but passed the UK. You're focusing on a metric that the EU isn't focusing on. As always, RB, it helps to read the articles you link to.

The EU's priority is full immunization. This should've been clear from that paragraph you're talking about. By that metric, EU countries have not only "caught up" but passed the UK. You're focusing on a metric that the EU isn't focusing on. As always, RB, it helps to read the articles you link to.
    On full immunizations even the Netherlands have surpassed the UK. Which is kind of telling.

It's nice that Brexit enables them to experiment with the health of the entire nation, but I'm not sure it's a freedom I envy them for. It used to be a prerogative of third world countries.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    On full immunizations even the Netherlands have surpassed the UK. Which is kind of telling.

It's nice that Brexit enables them to experiment with the health of the entire nation, but I'm not sure it's a freedom I envy them for. It used to be a prerogative of third world countries.
    I'm agnostic about the strategy; the UK was in a very bad shape, and the approach they've taken may well be appropriate given their circumstances. Just think it's important to be clear about what people are actually saying.

It's an insanely stupid lie of a claim. Just because you're concentrating on full immunisations doesn't mean you have "caught up" it means that despite having done a tiny fraction of the doses you have marginally more fully vaccinated. So long as you then ignore everybody else.

Claiming that you're doing a different path is one thing but lies about catching up are just dumb lies. You would never let Lewk get away with claiming something so dishonest but you have the audacity to defend that with a straight face?

You have lost all your integrity and moral fibre.

PS it's also ridiculous to set that as the target if you want a pissing contest because just wait a few weeks until the UKs second doses become due and then compare. It's not going to be a pretty comparison but no doubt you'll find a new line to take by then.

I understand reading is a skill that still eludes you, but the paragraph in question makes it clear that the "catching up" remark refers to full immunizations. Your illiteracy doesn't make other people liars. This isn't the first time you've lost your shit over something you haven't read—let alone vetted—properly, but it's getting increasingly tiresome.

I understand reading is a skill that still eludes you, but the paragraph in question makes it clear that the "catching up" remark refers to full immunizations. Your illiteracy doesn't make other people liars. This isn't the first time you've lost your shit over something you haven't read—let alone vetted—properly, but it's getting increasingly tiresome.
    You're the illiterate one. The sentence was a lie pure and simple and going on to refer to "full immunisations" is a distraction that plays into the lie.

That lie is the sort of thing you would laugh at if it came from Fox News. It is an untruth as pathetic as Trump's "alternative facts" but it shouldn't be a shock to see you excusing these lies as you are just as much a dishonest hack as any Republican is. You have lost all your integrity in recent months on this thread, getting bent out of shape to justify inexcusable lies as well as complete failures of judgement.

Tellingly the remark about Italy was preceded by the lines "We're catching up. Britain has administered 17 million first doses. There are 27 million in the EU." Yes 27 million in the EU is more than 17 in the UK to make it sound like its evidence for her "catching up" claim, while completely glossing over the fact that the EU population is over 6x the UKs. Then again you knew that, because you justified the EU spending about 1/6th on facilitating vaccine procurement as the UK did because of the EU's bigger size - while disregarding the fact that vaccinating Europe promptly wouldn't cost the same as vaccinating the UK would.

I think you should stop pointing out flaws in American conservatives as you're just as bad, entirely incapable of spotting blatant lies on your side of the pond.

You're the illiterate one. The sentence was a lie pure and simple and going on to refer to "full immunisations" is a distraction that plays into the lie.

[...]

Tellingly the remark about Italy was preceded by the lines "We're catching up. Britain has administered 17 million first doses. There are 27 million in the EU." Yes 27 million in the EU is more than 17 in the UK to make it sound like its evidence for her "catching up" claim, while completely glossing over the fact that the EU population is over 6x the UKs.
    I have often noticed that you have difficulties understanding the meaning of words in the context of the sentences that include them, and similar difficulties understanding sentences in the context of the paragraphs that include them. It seems you don't really understand any texts at the paragraph level, let alone in their entirety. I'm sure this works for you in your everyday life, but it makes you next to useless in any sort of written discussion. I feel like I'm talking to an unusually thick child and it's giving me no pleasure at all. If you want to participate in a written discussion that frequently references written material such as articles, the very least you can do is to try to understand that material at the paragraph level.

Then again you knew that, because you justified the EU spending about 1/6th on facilitating vaccine procurement as the UK did because of the EU's bigger size - while disregarding the fact that vaccinating Europe promptly wouldn't cost the same as vaccinating the UK would.
    As always, you are misremembering, due to your difficulties with reading. Please revisit that exchange and try to read it like a person who can understand basic English sentences. I can't really engage with your stupid fantasies; they are too many and too confused.

That lie is the sort of thing you would laugh at if it came from Fox News. It is an untruth as pathetic as Trump's "alternative facts" but it shouldn't be a shock to see you excusing these lies as you are just as much a dishonest hack as any Republican is. You have lost all your integrity in recent months on this thread, getting bent out of shape to justify inexcusable lies as well as complete failures of judgement.

[...]

I think you should stop pointing out flaws in American conservatives as you're just as bad, entirely incapable of spotting blatant lies on your side of the pond.
    I understand why this new angle appeals to you, but, the problem is, you don't understand the substance of what you're saying. Your long track record of reflexively defending the English Trump and his lies, deception, antidemocratic behaviour and bigotry—coupled with your own track record of lies, deception, antidemocratic attitudes and bigotry—makes these clumsy attacks just seem desperate. You have failed to understand the substance of the criticism against eg. Trump and his English counterpart Johnson, and so you think calling someone "Trumpian" is just a generic insult you use against someone who is your political enemy. I can see how an idiot might think that way, but it's difficult to take it seriously in a discussion about substantive matters. Over and over again, you get pissed off about something you haven't read properly and therefore failed to understand, and, when it's explained to you, you get even more pissed off because you can't deal with your idiocy in a healthy way. The way you're carrying on, I'm half expecting you to storm the Capitol any day now.

Taking a break from bashing my head against the brick wall of illiteracy for a moment, I can report that, with the third wave ahead of us, tens of thousands of Swedes from all over the country have decided to travel—many by train—to crowded ski resorts for a week (over sports break) based on inaccurate and misleading statements from our ministry of public health implying that this won't increase covid transmission. A number of preschools have therefore decided to remain closed for a week following sports break, to reduce likelihood of kids infecting each other or staff. Many of the arguments against stricter control measures have revolved around concerns about kids in difficult social and economic circumstances, who will no doubt benefit from having to stay home for another week because some other kids' families decided going skiing during a pandemic was absolutely necessary.

My own region has seen a recent surge in cases and hospitalizations, so one of my wards is now primarily a covid ward, and one of the others is at capacity due to doubling as an overflow ward for several other clinics. Most doctors at my clinic have now received their first dose (not me though, due to scheduling issues). Initially, we expected around 1 in 3 would have to stay home due to post-vaccination fever, but now it looks like half or more get fever, chills and other difficult side-effects lasting anything from 1 to 3 days. At some clinics, almost every member of the staff that has been vaccinated has had to stay home for one or more days. We're trying to mitigate this problem through careful scheduling, but it's not easy, and it really caught some clinics in other regions by surprise. Doesn't seem to be an issue with specific batches or clearly correlate with prior covid. Might be cultural, I guess... or reflect pre-existing immunity to part of the vector? Who knows.

Just because you throw school ground insults around doesn't justify your alternative facts approach to reality.

You're making it bloody obvious now. You degenerate into insulting others just like the Trumpist you are. These ad hominem "you don't read" arguments are your Crooked Hillary/Sleepy Joe lines to displace from the fact that not only did I read it properly but I've demolished your falsehoods so comprehensively you have no actual retort. So you leap to insults instead because subconsciously you know I'm right, you're wrong and you have no actual response to make other than flapping insults. Pathetic.

You're not capable of reply without the as hominems as you know you've lost the argument. Because the real facts, not your alternate ones, are on my side.

Stepping back into the real world, rather than UVDL and Aimless parallel alternative facts universe, over 20 million people have now been vaccinated in the UK.

Just because you throw school ground insults around doesn't justify your alternative facts approach to reality.

You're making it bloody obvious now. You degenerate into insulting others just like the Trumpist you are. These ad hominem "you don't read" arguments are your Crooked Hillary/Sleepy Joe lines to displace from the fact that not only did I read it properly but I've demolished your falsehoods so comprehensively you have no actual retort. So you leap to insults instead because subconsciously you know I'm right, you're wrong and you have no actual response to make other than flapping insults. Pathetic.

You're not capable of reply without the as hominems as you know you've lost the argument. Because the real facts, not your alternate ones, are on my side.
    I have explained your failures to read, in detail, on many occasions. There comes a point where nothing more can be gained from trying to help you. Given that you literally tried to push a conspiracy theory about how the corrupt EU corruptly favored Sanofi to placate the French, maybe you should sit your Fox News host ass down

A friend of mine once assisted during an operation, at the end of which he said he thought the procedure went well—to which the surgeon replied that my friend did not yet have the necessary knowledge and skills to determine whether or not it went well. It was a mean and dickish thing to say, but it was also correct; the procedure hadn't actually gone as well as one would've liked. Today, my friend is a good surgeon, and better able to determine the quality of an operation. I have thought about this story on many occasions over the course of this thread, as you have presented your opinion on various studies and scientific arguments and things written in English that you think you've "demolished".

You've done no such thing, you've just lashed out time and again as either deliberately or subconsciously you know you're on a sticky wicket and have lost the argument so you're getting more and more desperate. Signing Sanofi when it wasn't even in Phase III trials yet while being many months late to the party for those that were already in Phase III was a terrible failure, exactly as I called it out. That you call it a conspiracy theory doesn't make it such.

There was no justification to delay signing Phase III contracts but proceeding apace with Sanofi and that incompetence has led to you being miles behind the USA, UK and Israel etc.

Oh wait, you're not. In your mind you've caught up with the UK now so all is fine and dandy.

You've done no such thing, you've just lashed out time and again as either deliberately or subconsciously you know you're on a sticky wicket and have lost the argument so you're getting more and more desperate. Signing Sanofi when it wasn't even in Phase III trials yet while being many months late to the party for those that were already in Phase III was a terrible failure, exactly as I called it out. That you call it a conspiracy theory doesn't make it such.

There was no justification to delay signing Phase III contracts but proceeding apace with Sanofi and that incompetence has led to you being miles behind the USA, UK and Israel etc.

Oh wait, you're not. In your mind you've caught up with the UK now so all is fine and dandy.
    I strongly recommend you go back and read the posts in question. Quote them here and we can go through them together.