Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pandemics Can Teach Us

Default Pandemics Can Teach Us

Wanted to make a separate thread because this is beyond just a single disease. There are a few things this current crisis has taught us.

1. Remote learning is the wave of the future and has a lot of advantages. It costs less and culturally people are less exposed to toxic group think. It is safer from a disease spread concern and if feminist rape statistics are to be believed (they aren't but lets go for it) this will decrease the number of rapes since so many occur on colleges. This will also likely decrease binge drinking and the like. As an additional advantage self paced learning will give more time to stupid kids and allow bright individuals to blaze through college quickly. Lowest cost, less sexual assault, less disease and faster placement into the workforce? All around winning!

2. Public transpiration spreads disease. This is a big one, get in a car practice safe social distancing and you can go to and from work (depending on your field) with minimal risk. Not so in trains, subways or buses. If it is true that diseases are major threat to society and the economy public dollars need to be deferred away from these types of disease incubators.

3. Porous borders are bad. Part of the problem with the spread of the disease was not restricting travel sooner and also not putting in place systems that get around travel restrictions. It makes 0 sense to restrict travel to China if someone can fly from China to the UK and then to America. This also means a stronger border is needed in the north and and the south to prevent entry.

As far as pandemics are concerned COVID19 (or the China Virus if you prefer ) is actually somewhat mild compared to what we could face in the future. Diseases like Ebola are far deadlier but aren't as easy to spread. But who knows what the next one will be like? It would be wise to take some good steps to making our societies safer. Strong borders, less public transportation and more remote learning.

Disagree w/ point 1 re. advantages for stupid kids. This board is basically a digital remote-learning platform and you're more stupid now than you've ever been, as your OP demonstrates. Can't be that great.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Disagree w/ point 1 re. advantages for stupid kids. This board is basically a digital remote-learning platform and you're more stupid now than you've ever been, as your OP demonstrates. Can't be that great.
    blah blah blah

The point is under a module based self-paced learning system advanced kids can get through it quicker while slow kids don't miss things because the teacher finally had to move on even though they didn't understand the concept.

Germs don't recognize borders. No matter how "strong" you make them. Maybe in the future there will be lots of biometric screening, but then you risk teh gov't violating privacy or civil liberties. So much for being a libertarian, huh.

The last thing we need are more cars, traffic, and roads. Even if they all become electric or self-driving (more efficient and less polluting), the public infrastructure for roadways would still be an expansion and maintenance problem. Public transportation will always be needed in some form -- even if we have flying Jetson cars or hovercrafts in the future. And if you're going to get rid of trains, subways or buses (because germs!) you might as well get rid of planes and airports, too.

Remote learning can work for some things, but good luck dissecting a cat or doing lab experiments at home. And it doesn't work today for huge swaths of the rural US that don't have broadband, or poor families that don't have computers. The public school system would have to distribute free laptops to all students, and internet access would need to be designated a public utility, with subsidies for poor households. So much for small gov't, huh. (Not even going to address the rape issue because it's absurd.)

If we should be learning anything, it's that human beings are *social animals* that need personal interactions to thrive. Since the modern world is more connected than ever, with people traveling all over the world -- it makes more sense to have good Public Health & Education policies and infrastructure, with cooperation b/w nations. You can't just shut the borders, put everyone in a car, and Homeschool a nation to fix social/cultural problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    (or the China Virus if you prefer
    Are you condoning Trump's use of this term?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Maybe he'd like to start calling H1N1 the American flu?

https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/informat...1_virus_qa.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    The entire post is trashy ignorance just so he could drop that one racist line. Trolls gotta troll.

Now we wait for his dumbass to reply with the Swiss cheese defense.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 03-20-2020 at 12:41 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

As someone who teaches some online classes: remote learning is BS for most students under most circumstances. There's quite a lot of research proving as much.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I don't because I hate him and because of the reason he's using it but I must admit its quite traditional to name viruses after where they originated or we became aware of them (latter why Spanish Flu is not known as Kansas Flu).

Spanish Flu, Ebola, West Nile, MERS - all named after a geographic point and so are many, many more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I don't because I hate him and because of the reason he's using it but I must admit its quite traditional to name viruses after where they originated or we became aware of them (latter why Spanish Flu is not known as Kansas Flu).

Spanish Flu, Ebola, West Nile, MERS - all named after a geographic point and so are many, many more.
    Well not entirely, Spanish flu did not originate in Spain, nor was the impact particularly bad there in relative terms, but the general point on naming a contagion from its 'origin' is taken. Given that, all those you listed were named from the start with those names. Coronovirus, and its more scientific designation of COVID-19, were not and have never been called China/Chinese virus, until cockface opened his cakehole and called it that purely because he needs to apportion blame elsewhere to divert attention from his own laughable mishandling of this virus so far, and also that he is a racist. A WP photographer even has a picture of Trump's hand-written notes, purportedly with his own hand-writing, where corona is crossed out and replaced with 'Chinese'.

Further, the WHO stance on the matter:
    Since 2015, the World Health Organization has warned against giving outbreaks geographic or national labels in order "to minimize unnecessary negative effects on nations, economies and people.

Regarding this occurrence:
    "Viruses know no borders and they don't care about your ethnicity or the color of your skin or how much money you have in the bank," said Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the World Health Organization health emergencies program. "It's really important that we be careful in the language we use."
    Ryan added that this is "a time for solidarity. This is a time for facts. This is a time to move forward together."
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Yeah I agree hence my "because of the reason he's using it" remark (and I know that Spanish Flu didn't originate in Spain, hence my Kansas Flu remark).

WHO say that because they're not race-baiting c**ts. Trump is. It appeals to race-baiting c**ts like Lewk too.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    As someone who teaches some online classes: remote learning is BS for most students under most circumstances. There's quite a lot of research proving as much.
    Because people are used to learning in other ways. The human brain has a remarkable amount of plasticity, especially for young people. Train them early to learn remotely and you'll see a much different outcome.

CNN did it first.

Because people are used to learning in other ways. The human brain has a remarkable amount of plasticity, especially for young people. Train them early to learn remotely and you'll see a much different outcome.
    Only if you assume there is no value to social interaction. And no, seeing someone on webcam isn't it.

CNN did it first.
    You didn't answer the question.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Only if you assume there is no value to social interaction. And no, seeing someone on webcam isn't it.
    The best example would be Lewk: We're trying to educate him again and again and again but he never learns anything.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

You didn't answer the question.
    I'm good with it. CCP is actively trying to convince its citizens and parts of the world complete fabrications about it being an American disease.

Are you on crack?

I'm good with it. CCP is actively trying to convince its citizens and parts of the world complete fabrications about it being an American disease.
    CCP is totalitarian, a party not answerable to anyone but themselves and can do whatever idiotic thing it pleases with little impunity, including referring to this being an American disease.

You're good with the US government demeaning itself to that same pathetic level?
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 03-22-2020 at 02:28 PM.

CCP is totalitarian, a party not answerable to anyone but themselves and can do whatever idiotic thing it pleases with little impunity, including referring to this being an American disease.

You're good with the US government demeaning itself to that same pathetic level?
    Demeaning ourselves? By calling a virus by a nickname that directly ensures people understand where the virus came from?

Why is ensuring that people understand where the virus came from the priority?

How about dealing with the virus, why isn't that the priority?

Wouldn't surprise me if more Americans get ill than Chinese despite it coming from China - and despite the fact the US had warning about what was coming while the Chinese were caught off guard.

It's all about removing blame from Dear Leader.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Why is ensuring that people understand where the virus came from the priority?

How about dealing with the virus, why isn't that the priority?

Wouldn't surprise me if more Americans get ill than Chinese despite it coming from China - and despite the fact the US had warning about what was coming while the Chinese were caught off guard.
    A few reason but primarily China should not be able to get away with strong arming WHO and censoring information that caused the pandemic to be far worse. If the world had known how bad it was we could have cut off international travel to China much fast and saved lives.

And obviously dealing with the virus is a priority - not sure how much effort you think it takes to say "Chinese Virus" at a press conference.

And you may actually be right RB. Democratic countries are on the whole much much better in almost every way imaginable. However people are far more resistant to government instructions than in a country that regularly disappears people who dissent. We should also be aware that nothing that China says or does regarding the virus should be trusted so we should take their numbers with a grain of salt.

Lewk is good with Americans attacking each other based on race:

Quote Originally Posted by NYT
    Spit On, Yelled At, Attacked: Chinese-Americans Fear for Their Safety

As bigots blame them for the coronavirus and President Trump labels it the “Chinese virus,” many Chinese-Americans say they are terrified of what could come next.

No Timbuk I'm not OK with that nor do I think the president saying Chinese Virus is the "push" that people need to go from "yeah it isn't Asians fault" to "Get them Asians!"

THAT said - I do think it is important to never take someone's word as absolute proof that they are the victim of racism. Too many people in today's era love playing the victim. Instead we should only seriously report things that have been captured on video. And I do believe some racists have targeted Asians but again I doubt it was because of Trump.

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status...07020596482048

It doesn't take much of a push. That is the point.

Language use is important. Trump's insistence on use of the term 'Chinese Virus' - and not a single other world leader is using that term - highlights a difference between us based on race: joining 'Chinese' and 'virus' sets the link that the virus IS Chinese (when such a notion of a virus being of a human race is obviously ridiculous), and to some that is excuse enough to go spitting on and attacking folk of Chinese origin. As we have seen in the US.

This sort of language helps to cement racial differences, that some races are worse or better than others.

Leaders need to lead, and to lead from the top. So don't use language that will encourage bigots, racists and idiots who don't take much of a 'push' to take it over the line.

Quote Originally Posted by WP

A single word scrawled in black marker stood out among the prepared remarks President Trump planned to deliver during Thursday’s White House press briefing on the ongoing global coronavirus pandemic.

In the president’s notes, “Corona” had been crossed out and replaced with “Chinese.”

The last-minute edit was captured in photos taken by The Washington Post’s Jabin Botsford and marks the latest instance of Trump deliberately calling the novel virus a name that has been frowned upon by critics, who say its usage could lead to increased discrimination and racism toward Asian Americans — a marginalized group with a long history of being scapegoated amid public health crises.

“It’s racist and it creates xenophobia,” Harvey Dong, a lecturer in Asian American and Asian diaspora studies with the University of California at Berkeley, told The Post. “It’s a very dangerous situation.”

Scores of Asian Americans nationwide have already reported being targeted in verbal and physical attacks linked to coronavirus fears. Meanwhile, conservative media figures and Republican leaders have ignored guidances from health officials urging people to avoid talking about the virus in nonneutral terms, peppering their TV hits and social media posts with phrases such as “Wuhan virus” and “Chinese coronavirus.”

“Those statements are, in my mind, a game changer,” said Gilbert Gee, a professor with UCLA’s Fielding School of Public Health. “Now, they’ve basically made it okay to have anti-Asian bias.”

Charissa Cheah, who is leading a study examining coronavirus-related discrimination against Chinese Americans, called the language “reckless and irresponsible.” A leader, Cheah said, is “someone that sets the climate for what’s acceptable or not acceptable.”
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 03-25-2020 at 06:34 AM.

So don't use language that will encourage bigots, racists and idiots who don't take much of a 'push' to take it over the line.
    This is literally his base, without lip service to these deplorables we wouldn't have Trump to begin with.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

It's all about removing blame from Dear Leader.
    This is literally his base, without lip service to these deplorables we wouldn't have Trump to begin with.
    Trump's base will feel the impact soon enough, it's just a matter of time. They didn't want Obamacare or Medicaid expansion, rural hospitals and nursing homes were closing, and even the Opioid crisis that devastated communities was swept under the rug.

So far, the only thing this pandemic has taught me....is that Trump is the worst president ever. Even his "coronavirus task force" briefings can't be taken seriously -- because he takes the microphone and lies.

I've also learned that making one man (Fauci) the face of public health policy has a downside. When he doesn't show up at "briefings" it just feeds conspiracy theories.

And that the Republican Party is full of shit
    Last edited by GGT; 03-26-2020 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    ...the Republican Party is full of shit
    Maybe they got no toilet paper?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?